RTX 3080 Best CPU

Big-Boy

Full system specs:

I mainly use my PC for FPS games at 1440p. And I am looking to upgrade my R5 3600. Which one would you recommend R5 5600x OR i7 10700f. Do you have any other recommendations? Please feel free to share them below.

8 minutes ago, Big-Boy said:

Full system specs:

I mainly use my PC for FPS games at 1440p. And I am looking to upgrade my R5 3600. Which one would you recommend R5 5600x OR i7 10700f. Do you have any other recommendations? Please feel free to share them below.

The 5600x would be easier and cost less since you don't have to replace the motherboard. It also performs much better in esports titles. (Go with the 5600x)

Although I would think that your 3600 is good enough since your playing at 1440P?

edit - yeah, you may want to upgrade your PSU. a 5600x and a 3080 with a low end 650w? Yeah no

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

You will have to be VERY careful here as your psu is actually below the recommendation and very few people are able to power a 3080 with a 650w unit let alone a lower end unit like that. So basically any cpu upgrade is gonna need a psu upgrade. As for now just wait. That and your current cpu should not have any issues getting 144fps at all (part from badly optimized games like the new cod and such0.

do you feel the bottleneck ?

if not don't upgrade just wait for 12th gen intel or zen4

if yes then of course ryzen 5000 is better since you don't have to buy a new motherboard

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You will have to be VERY careful here as your psu is actually below the recommendation and very few people are able to power a 3080 with a 650w unit let alone a lower end unit like that. So basically any cpu upgrade is gonna need a psu upgrade. As for now just wait. That and your current cpu should not have any issues getting 144fps at all (part from badly optimized games like the new cod and such0.

This is crucial. Especially considering 30 series cards can draw peak power in excess of 400 watts which will trip the overcurrent protection on most PSUs.
Nvidia's recommended minimum psu capacity for 3080 is 750 watts, and that's minimum, not even accounting for peaks

had a chat to Seasonic, they let me know that in their labs they have seen RTX 3090 transient loads spike to north of 550W before the power limits kick in and pull them back down.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You will have to be VERY careful here as your psu is actually below the recommendation and very few people are able to power a 3080 with a 650w unit let alone a lower end unit like that

There was actually a post today about a computer shutting down when launching games that had an RTX 3070 and 5600X @jaslion.

I suspect the PSU wasn't capable of delivering...

@Big-Boy REMEMBER: The PSU is just as important as any other component in your system, as it can very well be the weakest link.

1 minute ago, gal-m said:

There was actually a post today about a computer shutting down when launching games that had an RTX 3070 and 5600X @jaslion.

@Big-Boy REMEMBER: The PSU is just as important as any other component in your system, as it can very well be the weakest link.

Oh yeah you don't have to tell me :p. The amount of people I've already answered to with these issues is far too many :p.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I think that a 650W PSU is enough and if you are not convinced please watch this video from Optimum tech 

1 minute ago, gal-m said:

LTT had this same issue when they SLI'd 3090s

Tripped the overcurrent protection on a 1000w psu just from loading a bench

@Big-Boy, @jaslion, @Sp4gh3tti 

Not sure why people keep recommending the absolute BARE MINIMUM PSU..

If I'd listen to people I'd have bought a 650W for my 5900X and RTX 3080/3090 (undecided), because that's enough and 850W is WAAAY "overkill".. 

7 minutes ago, Sp4gh3tti said:

This is crucial. Especially considering 30 series cards can draw peak power in excess of 400 watts which will trip the overcurrent protection on most PSUs.
Nvidia's recommended minimum psu capacity for 3080 is 750 watts, and that's minimum, not even accounting for peaks

I think that 650W is enough. Please watch this video from Optimum tech if you are not convinced 

2 minutes ago, Big-Boy said:

I think that a 650W PSU is enough and if you are not convinced please watch this video from Optimum tech 

Yeah but this is a cx not a high end sff. Also this test is done with a regular wall wattage meter those do not have the polling rate needed to see the spiking. Yes the overall powerdraw is fine ish BUT the spikes is what cause the issue and these sff units are built to handle above their rated wattage whilst a generic cx with added rgb is well not.

6 minutes ago, Big-Boy said:

None of these tests would subject it to the peak power spikes I was just talking about. Gaming at 1440p will not take hundreds of watts. You don't seem to understand how peak power works, the advertised TDP of these cards are under an average sustained load, they don't account for sudden spikes in current.

image.png

LTT literally did a video talking about exactly this. Who is this Linus guy I keep hearing about anyway?

It's almost like he has tech tips for us but not everyone cares to listen to them...

14 minutes ago, Downkey said:

The 5600x would be easier and cost less since you don't have to replace the motherboard. It also performs much better in esports titles. (Go with the 5600x)

Although I would think that your 3600 is good enough since your playing at 1440P?

edit - yeah, you may want to upgrade your PSU. a 5600x and a 3080 with a low end 650w? Yeah no

Actually an i7 would be cheaper. Its 230 dollars now and has 2 more core.

23 minutes ago, Big-Boy said:

$3471.93

Don't take this the wrong way @Big-Boy, as I'm really just trying to offer some advice, but you spent $3500 on a HIGH END system, that is prob. within a couple % of the best gaming PC's out there and skimped on your PSU.. 

8 minutes ago, gal-m said:

Not sure why people keep recommending the absolute BARE MINIMUM PSU..

Dude, yes. People manage to find a way to budget in a thousand dollar GPU and then some mondotrash chinese PSU and a no-name chassis??

Where's the fuckin logic in that... People seem to think they always need the absolute best since our capitalist society taught them as such, and then they're all confused when this next level component is bottlenecked to oblivion by your goddamn Core 2 Duo

Is this some sort of trend where people go to the LTT forums to ask a question that they already spent weeks making a video about smh

Who even is linus and what are these tech tips

nvidia themselves recommend that you get a 750W psu.

this next part is copy pasted directly from their spec sheet , while they state that if a lower end processor than a 10900k is used a lower W Psu might work, the fact that the makers of the gpu suggest 750W probably means it's a good idea to get that

Founders Edition Thermal Power Specs: Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 93
  Graphics Card Power (W) 320
  Required System Power (W) (2) 750
  Supplementary Power Connectors

2x PCIe 8-pin
(adapter to 1x 12-pin included)

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Big-Boy said:

Zen3 would fit onto the current motherboard, making it significantly cheaper.

5 minutes ago, Big-Boy said:

9700f? that has 2 more cores, but 4 less threads. also quite a bit worse than 5600x

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

5 minutes ago, Sp4gh3tti said:

Dude, yes. People manage to find a way to budget in a thousand dollar GPU and then some mondotrash chinese PSU and a no-name chassis??

5 minutes ago, flashiling said:

nvidia themselves recommend that you get a 750W psu.

Agree with both of you @Sp4gh3tti & @flashiling

There actually has been some testing done with a RTX 3080 and it's power consumption. It outright failed with a 550W PSU and a 650W PSU was a BARE minimum, but not guaranteed to work well.

If I find the forum (or the vid), I'll link it.

2 minutes ago, Sp4gh3tti said:

Zen3 would fit onto the current motherboard, making it significantly cheaper.

You are right. But i can you that B550 mobo for a different build.

5 minutes ago, Big-Boy said:

You need a board there too making a 5800x actually the cheaper upgrade.

Just now, Sp4gh3tti said:

Where's the fuckin logic in that

people also buy a 1650 and a ryzen 2600 and pair it with an 850W psu, i think the power draw of components maybe arent explained very well many places.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Just now, gal-m said:

Agree with both of you @Sp4gh3tti & @flashiling

There actually has been some testing done with a RTX 3080 and it's power consumption. It outright failed with a 550W PSU and a 650W PSU was a BARE minimum, but not guaranteed to work well.

If I find the forum (or the vid), I'll link it.

I am using a 650w cx650m with an R5 3600 and a 3080. Zero problems. Other than a louder psu fan.