What coding language should I learn next after python

oats_0968
Go to solution Solved by igormp,
4 minutes ago, oats_0968 said:

I have completed learning python so far, and I feel as if I want to expand my coding knowledge. I have contemplated over java, html and c++, but I don't know much about them, so I would want an outside perspective.

Why do you need to learn a new language in the first place? Why not use that knowledge you acquired with python to build a nice project and learn things that go past the language itself, such as build tools, deploying your project in the cloud, CI/CD, and specifics of some area of your interest.

If you don't care at all for what I said, I vote for C++.

I have completed learning python so far, and I feel as if I want to expand my coding knowledge. I have contemplated over java, html and c++, but I don't know much about them, so I would want an outside perspective.

Well java is kind of like basic. It's easy to learn and use once you figure it out. But c++ in my experience took me a long time just to build a basic test app. Its long, slow and labourious but once you know it you never forget it 🙂

4 minutes ago, oats_0968 said:

Why do you need to learn a new language in the first place? Why not use that knowledge you acquired with python to build a nice project and learn things that go past the language itself, such as build tools, deploying your project in the cloud, CI/CD, and specifics of some area of your interest.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

I vote for C#,It's easier to learn than C++ and performs better than Java.

But we all know that C++ is superior.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

7 minutes ago, igormp said:

thats actually a really good point, but i want to be able to have more than one language under my belt. Your point is great and I'll have to go with that one

the pic below is the biggest project i have done up to this point btw

computing(4).png

Edited by oats_0968
Added an image

An easy learn is HTML/css/javascript. Ever want to make your own website?

Make an index.html file open it in an editor like Atom and refer to a website like w3 for html and css documentation. Double clicking your index file will run the website in Chrome. You can mess around with that for a while. The next step would be learning how to add javascript to the website you built. Another thing you can do after that is use xampp to run it as a server where you can run php and a database with the website for account logins and form input and displaying data. If you forward xampp ports in your router you can access your site from anywhere including your phone. You can use bootstrap for easy mobile design and dynamic sizing.

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

Ok thanks everyone for your replies. They have definitely made me think about my future and in coding, but I will have to go with the solution from igormp. Sorry if its a bit anti-climactic

11 minutes ago, oats_0968 said:

Ok thanks everyone for your replies. They have definitely made me think about my future and in coding, but I will have to go with the solution from igormp. Sorry if its a bit anti-climactic

Anything with OOP will be very helpful. Python is good for this, but Java and C++ do it much better imo

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Anything with OOP will be very helpful. Python is good for this, but Java and C++ do it much better imo

i looked up OOP and yeah, I understand what you mean. I still will be sticking to the solution of expanding my python knowledge

2 minutes ago, oats_0968 said:

i looked up OOP and yeah, I understand what you mean. I still will be sticking to the solution of expanding my python knowledge

Totally fair, Pythons quite versatile

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Assembly

Because there are not enough insane people in the world.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Write in C. (It’s never a bad idea to understand memory allocation...)

Also, I keep Common Lisp and Perl in my own toolbox. C++ has been replaced by Rust (which is, by all means, a less weird C++ as of today) though.

Write in C.

2 hours ago, oats_0968 said:

thats actually a really good point, but i want to be able to have more than one language under my belt. Your point is great and I'll have to go with that one

the pic below is the biggest project i have done up to this point btw

computing(4).png

If you want to go past your current python knowledge while also learning another language, you could try to do that same project, but as a website.

Try to turn your current python code into a REST API (you'll have to google that) that just takes the inputs and returns the proper values, and make a HTML page with some JS code to call your python API (kinda overkill to do it this way, but a nice way to learn nevertheless).

You can search for Flask for the python webserver part, HTTP verbs to understand a bit more about the network, html forms for your page, and "javascript get request" or "javascript post request" for the js part.

Even if you don't want to actually work as a web developer or something, grasping the basic idea of how it works is a really nice to have.

I hope that there are enough keywords in this post for you to search and learn :old-tongue:

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

19 hours ago, oats_0968 said:

I have completed learning python so far, and I feel as if I want to expand my coding knowledge. I have contemplated over java, html and c++,

I doubt you "completed" learning Python. You may have learned the syntax but you have no actual knowledge how to program in Python (or other languages) - from good practices, testing to software stacks - this takes years of experience. Nowadays knowing language basics is close to useless as complexity has grown and projects use specific software stacks and follow guidelines and code quality rules.

And if you write in your CV that you know multiple languages, especially with the spread of Python vs Java or C++ a recruiter either will ditch your CV or they will be keen on asking you implementation specifics in each and every language you list. They will want to prove you don't know any of them to then take that as an advantage in the recruitment process.

"I know Python, C++" - this is bad, "I used Python for web development, C++ for Qt application" - this is way better (assuming you did that).

38 minutes ago, riklaunim said:

I doubt you "completed" learning Python. You may have learned the syntax but you have no actual knowledge how to program in Python (or other languages) - from good practices, testing to software stacks - this takes years of experience. Nowadays knowing language basics is close to useless as complexity has grown and projects use specific software stacks and follow guidelines and code quality rules.

And if you write in your CV that you know multiple languages, especially with the spread of Python vs Java or C++ a recruiter either will ditch your CV or they will be keen on asking you implementation specifics in each and every language you list. They will want to prove you don't know any of them to then take that as an advantage in the recruitment process.

"I know Python, C++" - this is bad, "I used Python for web development, C++ for Qt application" - this is way better (assuming you did that).

well of course i havent completed python, there is always more to learn