If my PSU dies cuz of age, will other components die as well?

AleksiDj73

Hello lads, Eng is not my mother tongue so i hope you understand what i say. So, i own a PSU since i think from 2011? not sure and idk when it will die because of age not because something will spark or break, just simply because of age and idk when it will die. My PSU is an oooold one, it's a solytech sl-8500btx, you will either find Greek results or normal results. My question is basically the title, is my PSU dies of age, will it break other components as well? If yes, which components are the most likely to die after the PSU dies? Thank you!

It's a very old very very bad unit so it would not be surprising if it kills your pc.

Short answer: No nothing else will break. I mean it CAN, but is it likely, no. Depends on if it dies while you're gaming because something short-circuits or one day it just won't start. But I mean if you turn the power button OFF on your PSU while gaming nothing break under normal circumstances (but it can) so you should be fine.

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

It's a very old very very bad unit so it would not be surprising if it kills your pc.

I wouldn't call it a very very bad unit when it has literally survived more than 7 years, it has done a phenomenal job for that kind of PSU but i get what you mean

Depends on what PSU it is, PSU with brand that costed money and has safety features is less likely to do that.

But if the PSU is cheap than it probably lacks those safety features and has a high chance of damaging something.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Just now, AleksiDj73 said:

I wouldn't call it a very very bad unit when it has literally survived more than 7 years, it has done a phenomenal job for that kind of PSU but i get what you mean

Well it is a low end cheap unit from forever ago so I basically can assume there are no protections at all

9 minutes ago, MorbidAngel said:

Short answer: No nothing else will break. I mean it CAN, but is it likely, no. Depends on if it dies while you're gaming because something short-circuits or one day it just won't start. But I mean if you turn the power button OFF on your PSU while gaming nothing break under normal circumstances (but it can) so you should be fine.

Gotcha gotcha, let's hope that happens lol because i don't want my PSU to break my parts lol, thanks for the help!

1 minute ago, podkall said:

Depends on what PSU it is, PSU with brand that costed money and has safety features is less likely to do that.

But if the PSU is cheap than it probably lacks those safety features and has a high chance of damaging something.

I have literally given my PSU in the text above but it's a cheap one

Just now, jaslion said:

Well it is a low end cheap unit from forever ago so I basically can assume there are no protections at all

The PSU itself doesn't really die, but one part can die, and when that happens it will either change the performance of the pc, shut the pc down or something else like weird sounds

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

I mean, there are lol but not sure how likely are these protections to work

Just now, AleksiDj73 said:

if your motherboard is more new than PSU and it has like some sort of protection than it's better than having a really old PSU with really old motherboard

PC:

PCs I used before:

2 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

Yeah part from the basic ones to make it function I would not assume there is anything more

1 minute ago, podkall said:

if your motherboard is more new than PSU and it has like some sort of protection than it's better than having a really old PSU with really old motherboard

Weeeell, i do have a GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard so it's quite old as well. I think i'm better off buying a new PSU tbh

Just now, jaslion said:

Yeah part from the basic ones to make it function I would not assume there is anything more

What would you expect from like a 10 year old PSU to have?😂

1 minute ago, AleksiDj73 said:

What would you expect from like a 10 year old PSU to have?😂

Well something extra there were a fair few units that had a lot more overvoltage, ripple and whatnot portections out then.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Well something extra there were a fair few units that had a lot more overvoltage, ripple and whatnot portections out then.

What more extra would you want from that PSU bud? I bet this PSU was a 30 euros PSU AT LEAST soo wouldn't expect anything more that it already has.

2 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

What more extra would you want from that PSU bud? I bet this PSU was a 30 euros PSU AT LEAST soo wouldn't expect anything more that it already has.

Oh boi you have been running on so much luck for years then 😛

depends on how and when it decides to die

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Just now, jaslion said:

Oh boi you have been running on so much luck for years then 😛

You are defo right on that one, but for how long?🤔🤔 (well not long tbh)

Well if it died from natural cause (suddenly just drop dead), nothing will be harmed.

As long as there's no burning / short circuit, it will be okay.

But before it happens usually the pc will have constant crashing, that's when you know when to get a new one.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Well if it died from natural cause (suddenly just drop dead), nothing will be harmed.

As long as there's no burning / short circuit, it will be okay.

But before it happens usually the pc will have constant crashing, that's when you know when to get a new one.

Gotcha gotcha, so you basically mean that if my PC restarts every like few mins, that is an indication that my PSU will have trouble giving out power so it HAS to restart? That could also be a sign of heat as well, not sure.

Don't know if you'd be interested but i did a 1 hour stress test with my CPU OCed at 3.6GHz everything stress tested without my storage drives and no crashes were to be seen so i guess i'm alright? My PSU also handled 4GHz but didn't keep it like that for a day and did a simple quick 5 min stress test with my CPU at 4GHz and it was fine, no crashes no anything.

24 minutes ago, mahyar said:

depends on how and when it decides to die

Just simply dies when browsing, something like that or something similar. Well ofc no one will know WHEN it will die but i don't really care about that (well i do but not as much as my other components), i care about what would happen to my other components if my PSU just died

Well i can be anything like sudden drive disconnection, crashing in games, random restart etc.

If it's a good quality PSU, probably it can last for 10 years, maybe yours are.

But for peace of mind, probably better if you replace it soon.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

11 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Well i can be anything like sudden drive disconnection, crashing in games, random restart etc.

If it's a good quality PSU, probably it can last for 10 years, maybe yours are.

But for peace of mind, probably better if you replace it soon.

Tbh a drive disconnection will not be that serious cuz i can easily check on event viewer to see what was the exact problem (if the PSU is still alive after that) but yea you're not wrong, any of what you said could easily happen.

Wouldn't call it "quality" lol, it's better off called a cheap one but hey, it has lasted around 7 years or so and it's still working like a charm.

I used the PSU calculator from OuterVision and i put everything that i have on my PC there and how much i use it etc etc and it says "Load Wattage:292 W". Idk how accurate that number is BUT i'm not stressing my PSU that much. I would say that the ACTUAL wattage of my PSU is around 450 and not 500 cuz of a low end PSU but i mean, 300w is not a whole lot for what i have.

And yeah you are right, i defo have to buy a new PSU so it does not just die.

7 hours ago, AleksiDj73 said:

I wouldn't call it a very very bad unit when it has literally survived more than 7 years

Just because you've been lucky doesn't mean it's not a bad unit.