PSU choice from Seasonic Core Focus or be quiet! CM PURE POWER 11

robbiefowler

I am looking for a semi modular PSU.  I am not in the US, and similarly priced in my market I am looking at - 

SeaSonic 500W Gold Series 80+ Core GM-500 $105

SeaSonic PRIME FOCUS 550W  80+ Gold SSR-550FM  $120

be quiet! PURE POWER 11 600W CM $125

Prices given as a guide for comparison in my market.  I am finding it hard to find reviews for these psu's.  I have had good experience with Seasonic.  Then people are saying there are issues with the pre 2019 550FMs.  But how would I know when my psu would be made.  Im guessing is all the latest stuff but how would I tell?  Any reviews I have seen for these say great thumbs up - so not really any use to compare.  Maybe the Focus gold has better built Japaneese internals?  But I cant really find any solid info out there.  I've seen the pure 12 get excellent write ups, but the 11?  Anyone can help to get an idea of how to compare?  Thanks

13 minutes ago, robbiefowler said:

I am looking for a semi modular PSU.  I am not in the US, and similarly priced in my market I am looking at - 

SeaSonic 500W Gold Series 80+ Core GM-500 $105

SeaSonic PRIME FOCUS 550W  80+ Gold SSR-550FM  $120

be quiet! PURE POWER 11 600W CM $125

Prices given as a guide for comparison in my market.  I am finding it hard to find reviews for these psu's.  I have had good experience with Seasonic.  Then people are saying there are issues with the pre 2019 550FMs.  But how would I know when my psu would be made.  Im guessing is all the latest stuff but how would I tell?  Any reviews I have seen for these say great thumbs up - so not really any use to compare.  Maybe the Focus gold has better built Japaneese internals?  But I cant really find any solid info out there.  I've seen the pure 12 get excellent write ups, but the 11?  Anyone can help to get an idea of how to compare?  Thanks

The Pure Power 11 600w CM reviewed pretty well by Guru3D. 

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/be-quiet-pure-power-11-600-watt-psu-review,8.html

What specs are you powering, and where are you buying from?

36 minutes ago, robbiefowler said:

I've seen the pure 12 get excellent write ups, but the 11? 

I would like to see where you found any info on the Pure Power 12, as that is not a thing yet. Be Quiet has the Dark Power Pro 12, but that is as similar to the Pure Power series as "car" and "carpet".

:)

10 hours ago, 1982 Original said:

The Pure Power 11 600w CM reviewed pretty well by Guru3D. 

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/be-quiet-pure-power-11-600-watt-psu-review,8.html

Im more looking for comparative reviews.  All the reviews I found were - great PSU GOLD recommended etc.  So if they are all recommend I cant compare them.  I saw another review saying that the caps on the bequiet were not great.  Im not sure what that means, and are the caps better on a Seasonic?  Reviews saying it is expensive also is a bit lost as the review is 4 years old and the comparative pricing in my market is totally different so these reviews are hard to use constructively.  I also didnt see anything in that review about build quality and Chinese or Japanese components etc.

10 hours ago, seon123 said:

What specs are you powering, and where are you buying from?

I would like to see where you found any info on the Pure Power 12, as that is not a thing yet. Be Quiet has the Dark Power Pro 12, but that is as similar to the Pure Power series as "car" and "carpet".

Car and carpet - I enjoyed that!  Yeah it was probably the Dark Power Pro 12.  The machine is Ryzen 5 3400 with onboad graphics, but it may change in the future so Im more interested if there is a standout preference as the specs will change.  

10 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Yeah, Pure Power 11 is silent but the ACRF platform is outdated.

Is there nothing else available than that 3 psu's?

Not sure about ACRF?  Are the seasonics better for that. 

Other modular options 

under $95 - corsair CX450M & CX550M

$100+ Coolermaster MWE gold 550 V2

But from what I understand Seasonic makes better stuff in general than corsair or coolermaster? 

2 hours ago, robbiefowler said:

But from what I understand Seasonic makes better stuff in general than corsair or coolermaster? 

Nope.

No Corsair TXM or RM(x) available?

Do you have a link to the shop?

yes but the RMX 650 is over $150.  The TX550M comes in around the same price as the pure 11 & focus $125 ish

the other models avail in that price range are the CX450M $80 

CoolerMaster MWE GOLD 550 V2 550W $115

Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550W  $110

On 2/7/2021 at 1:05 AM, robbiefowler said:

Not sure about ACRF?  Are the seasonics better for that. 

Other modular options 

under $95 - corsair CX450M & CX550M

$100+ Coolermaster MWE gold 550 V2

That's not necessarily true, and if you want to compare transient handling (since that is a concern with ACRF), then I point you in the direction of the entire pre-OneSeasonicRefresh. As for the suggestions below, paying more than a CX unit for CXM that only benefit is modular with worse electrical performance doesn't sit well (concerning there is CX-F or just stay with semi-modular). MWE Gold V2 was a little bit underwhelming..With the price tag, it doesn't have that tight of transient response and voltage regulation edges past 2%. 

Seasonic is a brand, which OEMs majority (but not all) of their units, that can do some in-house things, but they're still only an OEM with two assembly lines (very small compared to the rest of the market). Corsair does have some of the best units on the market (being AXi/AX from Flextronics, HX/HXi from CWT, etc), and Cooler Master does have the V-Platinum (2019), but generally (outside of their new SFX units, which still have some problems), there's not a lot of recommendations floating from them...In NA markets, the Core series sometimes gets recommended for its lower price than CX which is great value. Same goes for the Focus line that is usually above CX in price and too far below something like a Revolution DF, Super Flower Leadex 3, or another high tier unit in order to jump the price gap (most people want the unit to work and not blow up, so there isn't a drive to spend a lot here). Seasonic (new) Prime wise, you can still trip and the price isn't that competitive (if you can find a unit in stock). 

On 2/7/2021 at 6:23 AM, robbiefowler said:

the other models avail in that price range are the CX450M $80 

CoolerMaster MWE GOLD 550 V2 550W $115

Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550W  $110

Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro is a rebrand a Seasonic Focus GM (V3) with a mildly worse fan (sleeve in some cases. HongHua and each Focus rebrand got to choose their own fan, and you technically find every fan bearing among all the units....Fun). I'd have to relook at FCPowerup again for V2 measures, but you can see my above post. Core is a little bit cut-down from the Focus line, but nothing majority.