Reduce power consumption of Gigabyte Sniper 5 Intel Z87 / i7 4770K

Jinu

Hi Folks

I am using my old motherboard/CPU for running a local NAS. However its power consumption at the wall socket under idle conditions is about 150W. I brought this down to 127W by switching off Audio and the Killer ethernet controller. But i want to bring it down further. 

I was never keen on overclocking so dont understand the intricacies or combinations involved in that. I have heard that undervolting and marginally reducing CPU clock can lead to significant savings in Power and Thermals.

Any ideas or suggestions on what all parameters i can adjust to reduce the power consumption. The aims is to get it below 100W

10 minutes ago, Jinu said:

Hi Folks

I am using my old motherboard/CPU for running a local NAS. However its power consumption at the wall socket under idle conditions is about 150W. I brought this down to 127W by switching off Audio and the Killer ethernet controller. But i want to bring it down further. 

I was never keen on overclocking so dont understand the intricacies or combinations involved in that. I have heard that undervolting and marginally reducing CPU clock can lead to significant savings in Power and Thermals.

Any ideas or suggestions on what all parameters i can adjust to reduce the power consumption. The aims is to get it below 100W

just underclock it, its not hard, set oc multiplier down, and then the voltage, if crashes up it or down the voltage, boom thats how to get 100w

6 minutes ago, ComputerBuilder said:

just underclock it, its not hard, set oc multiplier down, and then the voltage, if crashes up it or down the voltage, boom thats how to get 100w

It is relatively easy, but if you've never overclocked before it can be a nightmare.  I had a ton of trouble my first time around (which was very recently) and accidentally ran my CPU at extremely high voltage for no reason whatsoever.  I'd definitely suggest looking up a guide on how to undervolt for your specific architecture/motherboard BIOS.  If that doesn't exist, you could always look up one for overclocking and turn down the numbers that they turn up.  One other thing I'd 100% do is go to the hardware monitor in your bios and take a picture/screenshot of the default voltages on your CPU.  You can do the same (or just remember) the default clocks.  That should give you a frame of reference for how much you've changed.

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

Forcing speedstep to be at 800-1200Mhz Idle?

Both Min and Max % in Power settings to 5%..

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

What are the full specs?

Are c states on? How long is it spending in the off c state?

HOw much power is the cpu using?

2 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Forcing speedstep to be at 800-1200Mhz Idle?

Both Min and Max % in Power settings to 5%..

15 minutes ago, ComputerBuilder said:

Underclocking really won't help much here, as the cpu should basically off at idle anyways, so it won't even be running at a clock speed.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are the full specs?

Are c states on? How long is it spending in the off c state?

HOw much power is the cpu using?

Underclocking really won't help much here, as the cpu should basically off at idle anyways, so it won't even be running at a clock speed.

how else can you put own poer, me dumbass

1 minute ago, ComputerBuilder said:

how else can you put own poer, me dumbass

using that much power seems like a config issue, that cpu must be under pretty heavy load or there must be a lot of other stuff in the system.

How much power is the cpu using?

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

using that much power seems like a config issue, that cpu must be under pretty heavy load or there must be a lot of other stuff in the system.

How much power is the cpu using?

ye i was thnking same, how in living poop is he hitting 125w for prob soe tiny server

Disable hyperthreading, if you can live without the multi threaded flexing of the CPU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

i remember my 4770K i would run at 4.2ghz on all threads with 1.19v on a Z87-G45 msi gaming board...

a good starting point if you don't need all the performance would be to further lower the clock to say 3.5ghz and test with like 1.1v and test for stability, at this point the CPU should already be pulling much less power than stock settings, heck even my 4.2ghz OC was pulling about the same or less than stock. i believe if i'm not mistaken the default voltage on my cpu core with default settings would be around 1.28v in Hwinfo64..which obviously was way too much.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Wow so many responses.. but sorry dont understand some of the lingo. Thanks for the guidance. Before i go ahead i will give full config

- Motherboard - Gigabyte Sniper 5 Intel Z87

- CPU - i7 4700K

- RAM - 4 x 8GB 

- HDD - 8 x 6TB Toshiba enterprise drive

- SSD - 2 x 256GB SSD

- 10G network Card (Intel)

- Corsair H100 AIO

- 3 120mm case Fans to cool the Harddisks

- 2 80mm case fans as exhaust (server 4U chasis)

-650W Corsair PSU

- OS - TRUE NAS (FreeBSD based)

Ok now what i did is reduce CPU multiplier to 30 from 35. But it does not allow me to change Vcore. It is kept as Auto and the value is shown against it is 0.985V

This allows my power consumption to reach at idle is still about 126W

Also please note power consumption i am talking about is the value at the wall socket for the whole PC.

Given the parts used, don’t see it going too low. 
I know my board gives me a lot of options for power saving. Especially in the board software in windows. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz