iTunes for android may be on its way

Some things are just never going to happen. Some things are just highly unlikely. With Steve Jobs around it was unthinkable for Apple to bring the iTunes Store to Google’s Android mobile platform, but in a post-Steve Jobs world, it’s looking increasingly possible that those packing non-Apple hardware could be able to buy songs from iTunes.

According Billboard, that claim to be in the know about such things, Apple is considering making the iTunes Store available on Android devices in a similar way to how iTunes was brought to Windows. Apple knows that more iTunes users means more iTunes customers, and with digital music sales declining in the face of stiff competition from streaming services like Spotify, Apple may see Android as a way of halting that decline.

Of course, Apple’s former CEO Steve Jobs famously said that he didn’t want to bring iTunes to Android because he didn’t want to ‘make Android users happy.’

"We thought about whether we should do a music client for Android. We put iTunes on Windows in order to sell more iPods. But I don’t see an advantage of putting our own music app on Android, except to make Android users happy. And I don’t want to make Android users happy."

Current CEO Tim Cook has gone on record to say that his company has no ‘religious issue’ with bringing its iOS apps to Android if it was deemed to be in the company’s interest. It sounds increasingly likely that his words carried a little more weight than we first thought.

On the subject of falling sales, reports also suggest that Apple is in talks with music labels about starting up its own on-demand streaming service. Spotify, Rdio and Beats Music currently have that market sewn up, but a company such as Apple has the ability to blow that wide open, even if Google’s own offering hasn’t managed it thus far.

If Apple is serious about bringing iTunes to Android, then it may only be a matter of time before we see a Windows Phone version to go along with it. We wouldn't dare suggest that either are inevitable, but it sure would make sense for all concerned.

I'm still not convinced. I think it would be disrespectful to against the founder of the company. But if it happens, that is one huge step for apple being un-appley

Source: http://www.redmondpie.com/never-say-never-itunes-for-android-may-be-on-its-way/

That's cool, specially after android wear is announced.

Syncing bluetooth earbuds to your smartwatch anyone?

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I'd really like that. I have quite a bit of music through iTunes and it would be nice to just download it all to my phone.

._. Just no...... its not good enough to use on the iPhone even...

Clearly you haven't used it. Please don't troll around and try some new stuff out in a long term before you just jump onto the verdict

Normally im pretty anti apple. But itunes actually works very well, although it doesnt aupport certain formats (FLAC) it does have decent substitutes for those (ALAC), if i can itunes on my phone, and an audio player that automatically accesses all the music i get from itunes. I will be right on board

iTunes is crap. It saddens me to see people on here using it willingly. It's slow, bloated and hijacks your computer and installs a bunch of other programs, and as far as playing music and synching goes there are better alternatives (like Foobar2000). Also, I am strongly against giving money to Apple, since they will just use it to do evil things.

If it means that my music and movies would work, that would be just fantastic. I am really considering getting a Nexus 6 if it lives up to most of the rumors. I am OK with Apps being different, but if my media worked I would shit kittens.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

I think you are forgetting the fact that iTunes is also a service to buy music with as well as a program used to play music. Google Music is a very good service but some people might have an Android phone and an iPad (or vice versa), why not let them use their music on both of their devices.

There are other places you can buy music from. The music from iTunes is DRM free, right (if not then that's another reason to avoid it)? So you could just transfer your music from iTunes and stop using it without any problems.

If you use an Apple device then fine, use iTunes if you want (or well, you're pretty much forced to). This is about Android users changing to iTunes though, when they don't have to.

And why exactly would you want iTunes on your Android phone or PC for that matter. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

There are other places you can buy music from. The music from iTunes is DRM free, right (if not then that's another reason to avoid it)? So you could just transfer your music from iTunes and stop using it without any problems.

If you use an Apple device then fine, use iTunes if you want (or well, you're pretty much forced to). This is about Android users changing to iTunes though, when they don't have to.

Sometimes you just have so many songs that it is a pain to move all of it around. So much simpler just to use 1 program and everything syncs up and just works.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Well android has the market share in phones, makes sense

"if by "bass" you mean wet farts then yes, those are the razer crapkens"

Sometimes you just have so many songs that it is a pain to move all of it around. So much simpler just to use 1 program and everything syncs up and just works.

Continuing using a bad program because you are too lazy to start using better options is not really a valid reason if you ask me. iTunes doesn't really "just work" by the way. It just barely works with the stuff Apple supports, and if you want to use anything that does not have the Apple seal of approval you have to use awkward hacks or simply not use it at all (see: FLAC, Vorbis, MKV containers etc).

You just think it is simple because you are used to Apple's restrictions. I just don't get why you would want those restrictions again on a platform like Android.

Use it if you want, but it doesn't make any sense to me, except if you are lazy and don't feel like changing to something else.

iTunes is crap. It saddens me to see people on here using it willingly. It's slow, bloated and hijacks your computer and installs a bunch of other programs, and as far as playing music and synching goes there are better alternatives (like Foobar2000). Also, I am strongly against giving money to Apple, since they will just use it to do evil things.

I don't agree with you that iTunes is crap. iTunes 11 in windows works really well. There used to be a compulsory quick time install, but know even that is removed. And iTunes is a much better music streaming service than the alternatives just because it works. You have it on Mac, windows ios and now android and possibly windows phone then what's the problem. It's a really good solid service.

And apple is one of the few companies who know what they are doing and if they ever started selling music without protection, then no one would sell their songs through iTunes Store because of piracy.

Continuing using a bad program because you are too lazy to start using better options is not really a valid reason if you ask me. iTunes doesn't really "just work" by the way. It just barely works with the stuff Apple supports, and if you want to use anything that does not have the Apple seal of approval you have to use awkward hacks or simply not use it at all (see: FLAC, Vorbis, MKV containers etc).

You just think it is simple because you are used to Apple's restrictions. I just don't get why you would want those restrictions again on a platform like Android.

Use it if you want, but it doesn't make any sense to me, except if you are lazy and don't feel like changing to something else.

Errr excuse me mate but I have an Android phone and an iPad and find iTunes to work perfectly well (the program at least).

Also who buys music? Just download the mp3 from a youtube video, stick it in the itunes library and hit the sync button. Simples.

There are no "restrictions" except for a few u supported 'uncommon' file types, its not a problem. You are just an Apple hater.

I don't agree with you that iTunes is crap. iTunes 11 in windows works really well. There used to be a compulsory quick time install, but know even that is removed. And iTunes is a much better music streaming service than the alternatives just because it works. You have it on Mac, windows ios and now android and possibly windows phone then what's the problem. It's a really good solid service.

And apple is one of the few companies who know what they are doing and if they ever started selling music without protection, then no one would sell their songs through iTunes Store because of piracy.

Ehh... A lot of the music from iTunes (if not all) is DRM free, yet people are still selling their songs through iTunes.

How is iTunes better than let's say Google Music or Foobar2000?

There are no "restrictions" except for a few u supported 'uncommon' file types, its not a problem. You are just an Apple hater.

Ehh... The formats I listed are not uncommon. Oh and "a few"? iTunes doesn't work with most formats. It works with a few Apple has approved, and nothing else. I am not a hater if I give valid reasons why it's bad and suggest better alternatives. If I was a hater I would go "lol it's bad derp xD".

Ehh...

Because apple is the only one who got the whole syncing concept right. Their icloud works perfectly. iTunes syncs perfectly, works perfectly and you don't need to bother about copying files here and there. Google play music app just plain sucks. It's the worst music app I've used and I use samsung's music app right now, which even though crappy can get the work done. On ios iTunes and music are well integrated and works flawlessly and bringing iTunes to android is just going to be awesome

It's not about being lazy. Not wanting to jump through hoops when you have been using a perfectly good program for years it totally understandable. I have stuck with an iPhone because I've spent 8 years building up an iTunes library that started back when I just had a regular old iPod. I added it up, and over those 8 years I have spent over $1800 on mostly TV Shows, Movies and Apps. I have bought some music, but the majority of it is ripped from CDs.

All those videos are DRM protected and obviously Apps won't work on a new platform. It difficult to walk away from that kind of investment. Apple has pissed me off enough that I am ready to walk away from not being able to have all those movies, shows and apps on my phone any more, but it doesn't make me lazy to want iTunes on Android.

Also, like RedRound said, syncing with iTunes and iCloud are both fantastic. I recently had to replace the HDD in my parents computer, that meant I had to redownload all their iTunes purchases. Which were mostly movies they get as free digital copies from the Blu-Rays they buy. So, when I installed iTunes and logged into their account, all their purchases appeared automatically. I just had to click on each one to download it to the new HDD.

I didn't have to go looking through past transactions, or e-mail Apple to readd the items to their download queue. Which is exactly what you had to do before iCloud. You were allowed to redownload stuff, but you would have to know exactly what you bought, find that item in the iTunes store, and then download it. But with iCloud the icon/cover art appears right in your library for you. iCloud also allows me to download movies and stuff to my iPhone that I already own without being connected to my computer.

I'm not talking about the Wi-Fi sync, which is also nice, I'm talking about when I am out of my house. If I can connect to any Wi-Fi, I can download any of my apps, shows, movies or music from iCloud.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

Well, I don't think that iTunes is a bad program at least on my mac. On windows, yes there could be a lot to be done to make it better, and on android we'll just have to wait and see what they do.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

It's like giving a glass of ice water to people in hell.

Android isn't hell dude....it's heaven.

Because apple is the only one who got the whole syncing concept right. Their icloud works perfectly. iTunes syncs perfectly, works perfectly and you don't need to bother about copying files here and there. Google play music app just plain sucks. It's the worst music app I've used and I use samsung's music app right now, which even though crappy can get the work done. On ios iTunes and music are well integrated and works flawlessly and bringing iTunes to android is just going to be awesome

How is Google Music bad? For syncing you can use for example FooBar2000 (a much better music player than iTunes).

How is Google Music bad? For syncing you can use for example FooBar2000 (a much better music player than iTunes).

You are obviously someone who has no current knowledge or experience with iTunes and an iPhone or iPad.

i was gonna post this on the forums

but it was soo stupid so i didnt bother

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.