Trying to use nicehash miner but it won't work.

I have downloaded the installer after whitelisting the file in my mcafee virus protection software but when I try and run the installer, it says 'This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default apps settings page. Anyone know how to solve this?

Are you downloading a Linux build? Windows builds are available at https://github.com/nicehash/NiceHashMiner/releases.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Make sure the antivirus software (Windows Defender if nothing else) hasn't quarantined the installer. As the website says, apparently many antivirus softwares flag the miner as a virus. 

(Kind of makes me wonder how they haven't been able to fix it.)

Also make sure you run the installer as admin

(also something Nicehash should have had set beforehand...)

11 minutes ago, streamcap said:

Make sure the antivirus software (Windows Defender if nothing else) hasn't quarantined the installer. As the website says, apparently many antivirus softwares flag the miner as a virus. 

(Kind of makes me wonder how they haven't been able to fix it.)

Also make sure you run the installer as admin

(also something Nicehash should have had set beforehand...)

i use mcafee and have excluded it the installer in the real time scanning thing so i dont think that is the problem. I have managed to download the installer, just when i try to run it i get that message. When I go to setting in windows, windows security, virus and threat protection it says MCAFEE virus scan and microsoft defender antivirus periodic scanning isn't ticked so I don't think it is to do with mcafee anti-virus or windows I could be wrong though

-> Moved to Folding@Home, BOINC and Coin Mining

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

OR... hear me out DON'T USE NICEHASH!

If you must though... your issue is prob mcafee since it sucks ass :old-tongue: just delete the file and then turn off both mcafee and defender then download it, and unzip it, then install it, should work fine.

My soapbox:

Before you do any mining look at all the fees associated with nicehash and see how much it's going to cost you to get your earnings to your own wallet. (its a lot).

If you want to mine look at a mining calculator like coinwarz.com and see what coin is the most profitable for you (usually ETH) then look into mining that specific coin with a program like phoenix miner or something on a site like ethermine.org but always look at fees before you start mining on any site some will cost more and usually it's not worth the extra fees over a different pool.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk 🙂 

57 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

OR... hear me out DON'T USE NICEHASH!

If you must though... your issue is prob mcafee since it sucks ass :old-tongue: just delete the file and then turn off both mcafee and defender then download it, and unzip it, then install it, should work fine.

My soapbox:

Before you do any mining look at all the fees associated with nicehash and see how much it's going to cost you to get your earnings to your own wallet. (its a lot).

If you want to mine look at a mining calculator like coinwarz.com and see what coin is the most profitable for you (usually ETH) then look into mining that specific coin with a program like phoenix miner or something on a site like ethermine.org but always look at fees before you start mining on any site some will cost more and usually it's not worth the extra fees over a different pool.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk 🙂 

I realised mcafee was quarantining loads of files everytime there was a problem because you can't just exclude a whole folder in mcafee.

Good point about the fees I didn't think they were that bad because nobody really mentioned them.