What laptop to buy in 2023 or 2024 if you can't buy another one for 20 years?

Hi there, say if you have ample budget in the US, and you want to buy the best performance, most durable, long lasting laptop, without considering budget, and you might not be able to buy another one for 20 years, which model would you choose given the current products offered as of 2021?

Budget is no issue as it could be the only laptop one gets for the next 20 years, but one can make upgrades 7-8 years down the road to a faster nvme or bigger ram etc etc

Screen size bigger is better, performance faster is better, weight is no concern, future proof as many years as possible...

Normally it's hard to try and guess how futureproof something is...but I can guarantee that literally any machine you buy today will be shit in 20 years.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

this is not a realistic question, as:

1. I can't look into the future, to know the best laptop choice in 2023 or 2024 (which is 2-3 years from now, an eternity in tech time)

2. I can't look into the future to know what would work best in 22-23 years time (which is another eternity in tech time).

but of course, the simple answer is "get the best you can get, which has the best chance of surviving as long as possible".

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

with a laptop there is basically no room for any upgrades but also maximum performance and long lasting are often not possible at the same time as performance means heat and heat mean degradation.

personally i would buy a laptop with a CPU socket as you can sometimes find with higher end laptops so you can at least upgrade the CPU but looking 20 years into the future the problem will always be the GPU which can not be upgraded and will limit you hard in just 5 years.

1 minute ago, minibois said:

this is not a realistic question, as:

1. I can't look into the future, to know the best laptop choice in 2023 or 2024 (which is 2-3 years from now, an eternity in tech time)

2. I can't look into the future to know what would work best in 22-23 years time (which is another eternity in tech time).

but of course, the simple answer is "get the best you can get, which has the best chance of surviving as long as possible".

At least as of Today, would you say that Dell's M17 R4 with 10980HK and 3080 is pretty much the tippity top?

1 minute ago, Pixel5 said:

with a laptop there is basically no room for any upgrades but also maximum performance and long lasting are often not possible at the same time as performance means heat and heat mean degradation.

personally i would buy a laptop with a CPU socket as you can sometimes find with higher end laptops so you can at least upgrade the CPU but looking 20 years into the future the problem will always be the GPU which can not be upgraded and will limit you hard in just 5 years.

Totally understandable. If after 5 years you'll only use it to browse the internet and do day to day office tasks, say paying water bills and filing taxes, would you say either Dell's or MSI's top notch laptop offered today *say it is equipped with 10980hk cpu or 10900k cpu) should do such tasks without much issues for the next 20 years?

1 minute ago, columbusohio said:

At least as of Today, would you say that Dell's M17 R4 with 10980HK and 3080 is pretty much the tippity top?

If you want something to last as long as possible, get a Thinkpad P15 or P17.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, columbusohio said:

Totally understandable. If after 5 years you'll only use it to browse the internet and do day to day office tasks, say paying water bills and filing taxes, would you say either Dell's or MSI's top notch laptop offered today *say it is equipped with 10980hk cpu or 10900k cpu) should do such tasks without much issues for the next 20 years?

if that is all you want to do you really dont want any high performance laptop as you will be paying mainly one bill and thats the electricity bill because your laptop pulls 300W from the wall when a laptop that pulls 10W would be enough for that task.

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If you want something to last as long as possible, get a Thinkpad P15 or P17.

That is a great suggestion too. Just that when I compare what I get for the hardware/GPU performance between the ThinkPad P series and top notch MSIs and Dell Gamings, I just don't feel like the money is well spent...

I'd probably get a MacBook tbh. Cause they have great build quality and they new M1 have great performance.

thinkpad bestpad

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.