How do I upgrade my GPU?

DankDoodles

When watching Linus's videos, all they seem to do is just take it out and put a new one in. I really doubt this is how it works though...

Can someone give me a recommended guide/video on how to upgrade my EVGA 1080 Ti to a ASUS Strix RTX 3080?

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

Well firstly we need some specs mainly the psu in detail (psu model not just wattage) as a 3080 needs a more capable psu than a 1080ti needs. Other than that the video zberg linked is as simple as it gets (provided the card fits inside the case)

That is really it.  For the most part.

Basically, hit the tab to allow the GPU to be removed.  Make sure the power cables are disconnected (and power is off) first.  Click the retention clip, pull out old card.  Set aside.

New card slots in right where the old one was.  It will click when inserted.  Screw the screws on the IO shield/bracket into the case (that you removed from previous GPU).  

That is the hardware portion.  Also plug in appropriate power cables of course from PSU.

Then update drivers (software side).  You can just use geforce experience program to do it.  More thorough way is to use display driver uninstall (DDU) and then download new driver for RTX 3080 from NVIDIA and install

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

13 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

When watching Linus's videos, all they seem to do is just take it out and put a new one in. I really doubt this is how it works though...

Can someone give me a recommended guide/video on how to upgrade my EVGA 1080 Ti to a ASUS Strix RTX 3080?

I didn't prewatch this video but the concept is very easy.

I'll explain it here and if you don't feel like reading or you don't want to read it just go to the video. 

1. Shut down your pc, turn the psu switch to "o" or off, and unplug your peripherals (not needed but you might need to move your pc to a desk or something to get the gpu out if you don't have optimal placement for upgrading your pc) Then, You're going to want to press the power button on your case (on the top/front) slowly 20 times. This is to discharge any current that's  still in the system. You might see your fans spin up for a fraction of a second. After you're done, unplug the PSU cable if you need to move your pc around to get inside the case.

2. You're going to want to open the side panel of your case. If you don't know how to do that There's most likely two screws on the back left side of your case- one near the top, one near the bottom. Unscrew both of those and make sure you know where you put them. There should be a little handle or ledge on the back of the case where the side panel is. Pull that backwards, and slightly out. 

3. Now, You might want to lay your pc flat, but this isn't needed. After, You're going to want to look for the pcie cables coming out of your gpu. There should be two iirc. You'll want to press down on the little "lever" (I forgot the actual name of it) on the top each one, and pull it. Use gentle force, It might be a little harder than you might expect, If you have the mindset that It'd just slide right out.

4. On the side of your case, there should be a little bracket with a screw holding in the edge of the io panel on your gpu. Unscrew it and anything that might be holding your gpu in place

5. On your motherboard should be well again, I don't know what to call it but a little lever, right past where your gpu plugs in. You're going to want to push that in.

6. Pull the gpu with again, gentle force, and it should come out. 

How to: INSTALL & UPGRADE your Graphics Card - 2021 - YouTube

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

37 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

I'm having trouble believing that this isn't a troll post.

Here's a step-by-step tutorial on how to change out your GPU.

1. Yank out old GPU
  2. Slap in new GPU

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

With the 1080 Ti, you must first use DDU (in Safe mode) to delete all traces of the driver for the card, please either disable auto driver update in DDU, or disable WiFi or physically disconnect LAN cable (to prevent Windows from installing some crap old driver for 'compatibility'). After this, power off the rig, and either disconnect the PSU from the wall socket, or switch off the PSU via On/Off switch on PSU.

Replace the card, there is a tab there you may have to depress to unlock the GTX 1080 Ti, after which you can remove the card. Do be careful though, sometimes, when shifting the card out, the tab may accidentally lock into place again, if that happens, simply unlock the tab again. Insert the new card, there should be a 'click' when the card snaps into place, or the at the very least, the lock tab should snap back into lock position.

Switch on PSU (or reconnect to wall socket) and boot into desktop, you should have downloaded the new driver for your new card (even IF it's the same driver you'd used for your old card), run installation of driver, be sure to click on option for 'Clean install' (all your previous setting was for the GTX 1080 Ti), I'm old skool which is why I'd reboot though I don't think it's necessary these days. If all go according to plan, you've successfully installed your new card with its driver.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

7 hours ago, MadPistol said:

1. Yank out old GPU
  2. Slap in new GPU

3. watch it burn up cause you didn't replace your old power supply and you've also used your old 2x6-2 daisy chained pci cable cause 'two plugs are surely enough!' 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

3. watch it burn up cause you didn't replace your old power supply and you've also used your old 2x6-2 daisy chained pci cable cause 'two plugs are surely enough!' 

4. Wonder if you missed a step because no one mentioned anything about the computer burning.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air