Upgrade am3 socket... 955 to 1100t

1 minute ago, Computersarethebest said:

I will have to double check this and see what people are saying on the avr forums. I would love to save money and get a 1030

And yet you got an FX-8350...

elephants

5 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

And yet you got an FX-8350...

No I didn’t buy it, was just talking to some guy locally who has one for sale.

18 hours ago, -rascal- said:

This is so....to a point frustrating, just reading these 4 pages through....

• You don't need a high-end GPU to WATCH 4K video -- a MORDERN low-end card can do that, hence the GT 1030 recommendations
  • Getting a GTX 1080 Ti for 4K gaming sure, but absolutely not needed for 4K video. The card will sit a like probably 10% ~ 15% use

• Going from a Phenom II to a FX-series CPU is like going backwards, because the FX-series CPU is barely any better, unless you OC the chip to 4.6 GHz+
  • ASUS M5A97 is a socket AM3+ motherboard, based on the AMD 970 chipset, so it supports both AM3 and AM3+
  • ASUS M597 is a 4+2 phase VRM motherboard; although it can handle the high power draw of a FX-8350, DO NOT go with a FX-8350

• FX-8350 is $600 because it is probably being sold by a third-party seller, and not Amazon directly
  • $200 for a Phenom II X6 1100T is on the expensive side -- I bought a Phenom II X6 1090T in 2010 / 2011 for $220 *NEW*
  • It should be under $100 by now
  • Instead of getting a new CPU, what you can try is actually overclocking the Phenom II X4 955
  • You have the CPU, and motherboard strong enough to do it --- like I said a 4+2 VRM with decent VRM heatsink cooling

• Why would you update the BIOS just for the fun of it??

• If you are going to spend $600, might as well build an ENITRE new system with a Ryzen 3400G APU for $500 ~ $600
  • That iGPU within the Ryzen 3400G *CAN* run 4K video no sweat

This is coming from someone who has owned a Phenom II X4 955 / 965, Phenom II X6 1090T, and a FX-8350.

Please don't drop $600 on a AM3 / AM3+ upgrade....for the love of God....

I don’t think I have vrm cooking, a lot of people have been complaining about that with this board. Over clocking would be hard 

Ok everyone stay calm..... let’s stay focused on the problem at hand. I bought this today 😉 for a damn good deal and I’m selling my processor so I might of even got this for free!!!!! Now I want a cpu cooler for it since I’ve read that the stock one sucks. I don’t have the wraith cooler I have the one before it. Now I have a two part question, let’s all stay focused.

#1 - should I buy a new cooler or just keep the stock one since I’m only using it for YouTube and regular computer use.

#2 - which cooler do you guys suggest

my vrm’s don’t have heat things on them so they get hot, meaning I have to buy a cooler that blow the air down and not sideways. 

stay focused. I’m building the most savage AM3+ mobo in this country. 

350B446A-9B3B-48A8-8120-9C1898D2F4C1.jpeg

You guys actually helped me out, the seller asked me if I’m still interested and I said no because everyone is telling me it’s shit. So he said how can we make this happen and I said I’m willing to pay $75 and he said ok!!!!!! I drove as fast as I could and grabbed it, and let me tell you something this thing is heavy as f. So after this is installed I’ll post my cpu for $100 and hopefully get $80. Free!!!!!

Just now, Computersarethebest said:

You guys actually helped me out, the seller asked me if I’m still interested and I said no because everyone is telling me it’s shit. So he said how can we make this happen and I said I’m willing to pay $75 and he said ok!!!!!! I drove as fast as I could and grabbed it, and let me tell you something this thing is heavy as f. So after this is installed I’ll post my cpu for $100 and hopefully get $80. Free!!!!!

No one will pay $100 for it.

elephants

6 minutes ago, Computersarethebest said:

You could look  into the Noctua NH-L9. Comes with adapters for Intel, AM4 and AM3/+. I don't know how much cooling you need, but it's beefy at $40. Comes with Noctua TP. 

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-L9x65-Premium-Low-Profile-Cooler/dp/B00VB3Y89E/ref=sr_1_5_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=NH-L9&qid=1612381596&s=electronics&sr=1-5-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyN1BCUTJRNTJTVldTJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjI3OTIwM084WkRNSVkzSEQ0MSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDY3NzQ1WkRUNEdRRkdVVEFYJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

@ragnarok0273At the end of the day, this is the cool part about computers. Who cares what someone is aiming for, as long as it fits their needs. OP is really excited about an AM3 update and wants to run with it. No reason to crap on them for it. Yeah AM4 would make more sense, but they've said they don't have another project for this computer and don't want to e waste it. A free/close to free CPU upgrade and 1050 will be a lot cheaper than going to AM4 anyways.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

13 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

No one will pay $100 for it.

I bought 16gigs of ram for $60 and sold my 8 gigs for $40 so I paid $20 for double ram and faster speed. I’m hoping to do something similar with the processor. 

1 minute ago, Computersarethebest said:

I bought 16gigs of ram for $60 and sold my 8 gigs for $40 so I paid $20 for double ram and faster speed. I’m hoping to do something similar with the processor. 

I might buy it for $50-60, but it's very much not worth $100 IMO.

elephants

3 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I might buy it for $50-60, but it's very much not worth $100 IMO.

I always set my prices higher so the people think they’re getting a good deal once I negotiate pretty low lol. I might sell it to one once I get this one in my pc.

When looking for a air cooler I see that pretty much only “be quiet” cpu coolers have the wattage they support right on the box and every other company doesn’t. This cpu is 125 watts so I would like to get something that states that it can handle 125 watts. 

8 minutes ago, Computersarethebest said:

When looking for a air cooler I see that pretty much only “be quiet” cpu coolers have the wattage they support right on the box and every other company doesn’t. This cpu is 125 watts so I would like to get something that states that it can handle 125 watts. 

Noctua won't give TDP on their coolers. They'll say the socket fits and then give a little chart on how much you can expect it to cool your CPU. Like this. You have to do a little bit more research with them, but you also have to keep in mind TDP isn't the end all be all. Every company measures it slightly differently.

image.thumb.png.b2d13c9fc3b96e7df18a0bd495750bc4.png

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

6 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Noctua won't give TDP on their coolers. They'll say the socket fits and then give a little chart on how much you can expect it to cool your CPU. Like this. You have to do a little bit more research with them, but you also have to keep in mind TDP isn't the end all be all. Every company measures it slightly differently.

image.thumb.png.b2d13c9fc3b96e7df18a0bd495750bc4.png

Nice, thank you very much. 

How about thermal paste I’m guessing by the looks on Amazon review everyone likes the Arctic Mx-4? 

what is everyone’s thoughts on the pads? I’ve never put thermal paste on before. 

Just now, Computersarethebest said:

How about thermal paste I’m guessing by the looks on Amazon review everyone likes the Arctic Mx-4? 

what is everyone’s thoughts on the pads? I’ve never put thermal paste on before. 

I've not used Arctic. Heard it's good for the price. Noctua comes with it's own. I've also used Grizzly Kryonaut and... it did it's job... like any other paste 😉

This was done with a 3600 and Wraith Stealth cooler. Just gives an idea at how little temps actually change with different brands.

thermal-paste-results.jpg

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

I've not used Arctic. Heard it's good for the price. Noctua comes with it's own. I've also used Grizzly Kryonaut and... it did it's job... like any other paste 😉

This was done with a 3600 and Wraith Stealth cooler. Just gives an idea at how little temps actually change with different brands.

thermal-paste-results.jpg

Thank you, this chart is very helpful. 

how do you feel about pads? Should I buy paste and do it my first time or buy pads?

paste

16 minutes ago, Computersarethebest said:

Thank you, this chart is very helpful. 

how do you feel about pads? Should I buy paste and do it my first time or buy pads?

paste vs pads really only matters if you're going to overclock. the main issue is mating the surfaces, so I think paste is easier to deal with.

as for coolers I recommend the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4. it's compatible with pretty much every socket, including the old boys like 1366, 775, and AM3+.

its rated for 250 watts, and goes for about 135 CAD. it's very quiet, and keeps my 980X at 55 degrees C while overclocked to 4.13Ghz. its is absolutely overkill for many builders, but the build quality is fantastic, and will work with the latest intel and AMD sockets, should you decide to upgrade.

8 minutes ago, Skunch said:

paste

paste vs pads really only matters if you're going to overclock. the main issue is mating the surfaces, so I think paste is easier to deal with.

as for coolers I recommend the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4. it's compatible with pretty much every socket, including the old boys like 1366, 775, and AM3+.

its rated for 250 watts, and goes for about 135 CAD. it's very quiet, and keeps my 980X at 55 degrees C while overclocked to 4.13Ghz. its is absolutely overkill for many builders, but the build quality is fantastic, and will work with the latest intel and AMD sockets, should you decide to upgrade.

I can’t use a fan that blows air sideways I need to use a fan that blows air direct on my cpu since my vrm’s don’t have a heat sink. 

I just found a shadow rock lp that’s available on Amazon with free shipping for $60 that looks good 

38 minutes ago, Computersarethebest said:

I can’t use a fan that blows air sideways I need to use a fan that blows air direct on my cpu since my vrm’s don’t have a heat sink. 

I just found a shadow rock lp that’s available on Amazon with free shipping for $60 that looks good 

cross reference any amazon listings with the be quiet! website. they list the TDP of their their coolers unlike some manufacturers.

I'm sure some people might disagree with me, but you likely dont need to have air blowing on your vrm. yes it's a safe precaution, but unless you're doing heavy overclocks, the bare vrm isn't much of an issue.

your mileage may vary.

1 hour ago, Computersarethebest said:

Scythe Big Shuriken 3 is cheaper and a bit better.

3 hours ago, Computersarethebest said:

Ok everyone stay calm..... let’s stay focused on the problem at hand. I bought this today 😉 for a damn good deal and I’m selling my processor so I might of even got this for free!!!!! Now I want a cpu cooler for it since I’ve read that the stock one sucks. I don’t have the wraith cooler I have the one before it. Now I have a two part question, let’s all stay focused.

#1 - should I buy a new cooler or just keep the stock one since I’m only using it for YouTube and regular computer use.

#2 - which cooler do you guys suggest

my vrm’s don’t have heat things on them so they get hot, meaning I have to buy a cooler that blow the air down and not sideways. 

stay focused. I’m building the most savage AM3+ mobo in this country. 

The ASUS M597 *should* have a heatsink over the VRMs...

UNLESS you have a LOWER version....

• M5A97 LE
  • M5A97 LE 2.0
  • M5A97 PLUS
Spoiler

Image result for M5A97 LE

The other versions have them...

• ASUS M5A97
  • M5A97 R2.
  •  M5A97 EVO / PRO
Spoiler

Image result for M5A97 R2.0

The other problem now is... IF you have a M5A97 motherboard WITHOUT the VRM heatsinks....that could be a problem with the FX-8350.

You would either want to modify the board, and add aftermarket heatsinks over the VRMs, rig up a cooling fan over them.

Or ... which is NOT worth, unless you can FIND for cheaper, a better motherboard...

Before you sell your old CPU, might need to upgrade your motherboard BIOS.

Noticed your BIOS was dated 2011.

OH I almost forgot....

Refer to the pictures I added, but does your motherboard have a CPU 4-pin connector, or CPU 8-pin connector on the top-left of the motherboard?

Would be helpful if we can find out WHICH exact model of the M5A97 you have.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

18 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

The ASUS M597 *should* have a heatsink over the VRMs...

UNLESS you have a LOWER version....

• M5A97 LE
  • M5A97 LE 2.0
  • M5A97 PLUS
  Reveal hidden contents

Image result for M5A97 LE

The other versions have them...

• ASUS M5A97
  • M5A97 R2.
  •  M5A97 EVO / PRO
  Reveal hidden contents

Image result for M5A97 R2.0

The other problem now is... IF you have a M5A97 motherboard WITHOUT the VRM heatsinks....that could be a problem with the FX-8350.

You would either want to modify the board, and add aftermarket heatsinks over the VRMs, rig up a cooling fan over them.

Or ... which is NOT worth, unless you can FIND for cheaper, a better motherboard...

Before you sell your old CPU, might need to upgrade your motherboard BIOS.

Noticed your BIOS was dated 2011.

OH I almost forgot....

Refer to the pictures I added, but does your motherboard have a CPU 4-pin connector, or CPU 8-pin connector on the top-left of the motherboard?

Would be helpful if we can find out WHICH exact model of the M5A97 you have.

I have m5a97 version 1.02 I believe it the first one 

3 minutes ago, Computersarethebest said:

I have m5a97 version 1.02 I believe it the first one 

M5A97 (1.02) SHOULD have heatsinks over the VRM, just like the updated M5A97 R2.0

Picture of a M5A97 1.02 from eBay.

s-l1600.jpg

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>