What are your defaults when it comes to tech?

Ashleyyyy
On 1/29/2021 at 2:22 PM, Ashley xD said:

My OS outside of one Mac i have is always Manjaro, at least as primary.

What's this with everyone liking Manjaro so much? Just because of the LTT video about it?

Like, you know you can run the KDE desktop on less annoying distro's as well right?

On 1/29/2021 at 8:22 AM, Ashley xD said:

i don't just mean brands with this. for example my list:

For laptops i always go with MacBooks.

For phones i always use iPhones.

when it comes to computers my GPU is always AMD, and my base platform is always something enterprise, like my current build with a server board and Xeon cpu's.

For headphones i always go with Sony.

As my TV i always use a CRT.
My main computer display is always 16:10. i really hate 16:9... (part of the reason i use a 2011 MBP as main laptop, even though it does not run macOS. it has a 16:10 screen)

Agreed, M1 Macbook Pro for laptop, Apple's are the only good laptops in the past 10 years

OS is Windows cause of gaming, and MacOS for laptop and productivity stuff

iPhones

GPU Nividia cause they usually have better prices and aviablility, CPU is 3900x

Headphones, AirPods Max but I've had Sony in the past and their good for the price, Razer are good if you need a mic for gaming on the headphones

TV is 4k VRR HDR Dolby Vision Vizio 55", idk how you can live with a CRT, the res is too low and alot of them are kinda a fire hazard at this point, the voltages they convert too legit scare me, plus the noise they make gives me a headache

Main display is 4k 32" 16:9, if I could find a 4k 21:9 I would, I do all my productivity on my Macbook which is 16:10, but for gaming capatibility is easier with 16:9 plus youtube videos fit better

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

What's this with everyone liking Manjaro so much? Just because of the LTT video about it?

Like, you know you can run the KDE desktop on less annoying distro's as well right?

ok first off i've been a linux user for 9 years and i'v euse dmanjaro for 4 years, i did not start using it just because ltt made a video lol. 

and for the KDE argument i use GNOME so like... 

She/Her

1 hour ago, Volts2545 said:

TV is 4k VRR HDR Dolby Vision Vizio 55", idk how you can live with a CRT, the res is too low and alot of them are kinda a fire hazard at this point, the voltages they convert too legit scare me, plus the noise they make gives me a headache

well, again, CRT's have fuses in them. they won't just catch on fire. my CRT is unplugged when it's not in use (i know it can still stay charged for an unknown length of time) and i have a good fire alarm. like, it's as much of a risk as any old tech honestly. my tv is a good quality JVC unit, not some random thing, so i trust it's put together well. 

id on't care about resolution, i care about picture quality. for the things i watch on it (VHS tapes and DVD's) it's more than fine, i even prefer it over modern displays. 

and the noise it makes, i can't hear it. my hearing is just not good enough anymore. 

She/Her

• All my main PCs must be known to have outstandingly good Linux compatibility. And no Nvidia, EVER!
  • Having a trackpoint is a must, much preferably Thinkpad.
  • If I own it and it has a heat sink, it's getting Arctic MX 4 whether the existing paste/pad is good or not.
  • For a production Linux setup; must have ZRAM setup, must have EarlyOOM, very strongly prefer Wayland, must have SELinux, flatpak flatpak flatpak, vanilla Gnome.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

On 1/29/2021 at 7:22 AM, Ashley xD said:

i don't just mean brands with this. for example my list:

For laptops i always go with MacBooks.

For phones i always use iPhones.

when it comes to computers my GPU is always AMD, and my base platform is always something enterprise, like my current build with a server board and Xeon cpu's.

For headphones i always go with Sony.

As my TV i always use a CRT.
My main computer display is always 16:10. i really hate 16:9... (part of the reason i use a 2011 MBP as main laptop, even though it does not run macOS. it has a 16:10 screen)

For laptops it will need to be windows. I don't really have brand loyalty, but go off of reviews and find the one that best fits my use case.

Phones I am pretty much a Samsung galaxy only person these days. They have been rock solid for my needs.

For pc... I again do not pigeon hole myself into a particular brand, but I do mostly own nvidia when it comes to GPUs. They have been leading high end performance which is normally the segment u purchase in.

As for TV... when u do upgrade I normally go for something high-end, but sensible in cost. So in general I will have a main entertainment TV that is 72+ inches and within 0-2 years old and then my other TV are just hand me downs from upgrades lol. I probably won't upgrade my main TV again until 8k is more the norm.

8 hours ago, LloydLynx said:
  • All my main PCs must be known to have outstandingly good Linux compatibility. And no Nvidia, EVER!

She/Her

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

This dude hates everything about the industry. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

mobo: asus

ram stuff:corsair/hk hynix

storage: WD and samsung (seagate is ok but there stuff breaks but I havnt had one dead from them... (kingston is a strait no there drive corrupted half of vacation photos but there sd card readers are awesome ))

flashdrives: samsung (pny when a drive begins to fail its slow to transfer and I thought my drive was going to die as I am doing a backup of it)

sd cards: sandisk (I havnt had one fail on me but I have broken one but it still could read but not write(yes my fault not the sd card fault I put it in a reader wrong and broke the mounting for it))

Prebuilts. Lenovo (hp fails, dell has horrible costumer support even to IT and schools)

laptops: asus and lenovo (acer die way to often, hp fails, )

OS: windows and or linux (chrome os is messy as all heck)

adapters: ugreen,kingston and aslong as it works its fine

phone case:  magpul ( yes the same company that makes pew pews)

case: pelican

tools: fluke,ifixit,stanley, millwakue, black and decker, basiclly if the tool works. (but also nicer quality is nice but I can use any old screw driver)

cameras: canon (I havnt had more time with my panasonic GX85)

audio: tascam, technics, sennhiser, sony, and moondrop (more but I can't think) (shure is ehhhh)

I don't care if you have a mac its your choice of a computer and your os(my brother and both my sisters run macs so I don't give a crap).

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

15 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

that will be always legendary

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

33 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

This dude hates everything about the industry. 

A broken clock is still right twice a day.

If you want Linux compatibility, stay far away from nVidia. There are plenty of reasons why Linux will never be an option on the desktop for the masses, and a lot of those reasons involve closed binary blobs, proprietary drivers, and a chicken-and-egg problem with DRM. Linux users decry DRM because it doesn't let them do what they want with their content, and are often justifying piracy of content because they use Linux to play it. I dislike proprietary DRM schemes as much as the next person because it makes forward compatibility impossible, but there is this obnoxious theme of Linux advocates demanding that everything be released for-them. Any software and game developer forum will have the obnoxious "when will there be a linux port" question on it somewhere with the developer shrugging their shoulders and not wanting to say "because you'll steal it" and blaming development time/costs instead.