New build - can't get to BIOS :(

BenH

Hi,

motherboard : ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (wi-fI)

keyboard (cause I think it might be the problem... but who knows) : RAZER Blackwidow Elit

I finished building up my first PC, I did everything after a lot of research, care and gentleness (lol)

first thing I did after I was done with the build is to connect a monitor and see that it's alive and everything is good, so I wanted to at least see that I can get to the BIOS.

The thing is that the screen comes up with the logo and the sentence at the bottom of the screen that says I need to hit the delete or F2 keys in order to get to the BIOS.... but nothing is happening when I press said keys !

Also, not sure if this is an issue or not, there was no sound of boot coming out from the PC , now I'm not sure if that's ok or not, because the screen I described is the only thing I've seen on my monitor after switching it on.

(also no speakers were connected but I don't think that the sound comes from speakers anyways... just thought to say this at any case...)

- I DID NOT insert a USB to update the BIOS yet, I think maybe I should do it after many failed attempts to get to the BIOS...

- I DID NOT install Windows

I hope I wrote here everything I could to make my situation clear.

Please help, I'm so close to finish this (few months) process of research, buy, build, buy an overcharged 3070 gpu...

so close...

Cheers 👍

do you have another keyboard to test with? also, try clearing the cmos. try using the keyboard on all of the mobo usb inputs.

so here goes...

I used another keyboard, a simple one, and tried the different usb ports - didn't work

I cleared the CMOS and removed completely the battery - didn't work

I also tried to change the monitor cable from HDMI to DVI because I heard it worked for some people.. for some strange reason - didn't work 

something else I noticed, there were led indicators (Q-LEDs) on the motherboard that were lit constantly - BOOT (yellow green) and the DRAM (yellow)

the boot didn't surprised me much, considering my issue... but now I wanted to check the DRAM so I experimented by removing and putting back the different RAM cards, M.2 and even the GPU.

I have two RAM cards, G.SKILL 32GB (2x16GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200MHz F4-3200C16D-32GVK 

one in B2 slot the other one is in A2 slot.

I found that when I switch between the places of the RAM cards (so that the card that was in A2 is now in B2 and vice versa) my computer didn't even show an image on the monitor, and the power button wasn't turning it off.

Took me a long while to understand that it's somehow connected to the placement of the RAM cards... no idea what's going on...

The BOOT and DRAM indication lights are still on.

I'm thinking to get the new BIOS update on a usb key and to plug it into the BIOS flashback port, just in case... maybe that will change something

I feel lost at this point,

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading everything I wrote 🙏

1 minute ago, BenH said:

so here goes...

I used another keyboard, a simple one, and tried the different usb ports - didn't work

I cleared the CMOS and removed completely the battery - didn't work

I also tried to change the monitor cable from HDMI to DVI because I heard it worked for some people.. for some strange reason - didn't work 

something else I noticed, there were led indicators (Q-LEDs) on the motherboard that were lit constantly - BOOT (yellow green) and the DRAM (yellow)

the boot didn't surprised me much, considering my issue... but now I wanted to check the DRAM so I experimented by removing and putting back the different RAM cards, M.2 and even the GPU.

I have two RAM cards, G.SKILL 32GB (2x16GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200MHz F4-3200C16D-32GVK 

one in B2 slot the other one is in A2 slot.

I found that when I switch between the places of the RAM cards (so that the card that was in A2 is now in B2 and vice versa) my computer didn't even show an image on the monitor, and the power button wasn't turning it off.

Took me a long while to understand that it's somehow connected to the placement of the RAM cards... no idea what's going on...

The BOOT and DRAM indication lights are still on.

I'm thinking to get the new BIOS update on a usb key and to plug it into the BIOS flashback port, just in case... maybe that will change something

I feel lost at this point,

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading everything I wrote 🙏

What CPU are you using?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, Voluspa said:

What CPU are you using?

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x

11 hours ago, BenH said:

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x

99% chance that the motherboard didn't ship with a compatible BIOS.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 hours ago, Voluspa said:

99% chance that the motherboard didn't ship with a compatible BIOS.

well.... what does that mean?

23 minutes ago, BenH said:

You need to update the BIOS. This board looks like it has a BIOS flashback button. There should be directions in the manual as to exactly how to use this utility, but you'll need a flashdrive and another working device to download the BIOS file from. Downloads are availible at Asus' support site. Looks like you need at least version 1004 to be able to use your processor.

26 minutes ago, BenH said:

Sorry, was on my phone. That means you'll have to update the BIOS with the USB stick and follow these instructions.

image.png.9dd657012f4af3bbd898b7d98e98d61d.png

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Yes I will do that, that's what I was saying before that at the moment this seems to me like the only solution...

I ordered a simple flashdrive, it was supposed to get here last weekend but it didnt.............. amazon prime, come on guys.....

but I'm glad you guys are saying the same so it gives me some hopes, I'll get a usb and install the update and will let you know what's happening .

there are 2 pages to download either a CPU support : https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-wi-fi-model/helpdesk_cpu
or
something that looks like a BIOS update: https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-wi-fi-model/helpdesk_download

which one is the right one to download and transfer to the flashdrive?

Thanks !

''Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.''
''For every idiot proof system devised, a new, improved idiot will arise to overcome it.''

Today is life-the only life you are sure of. Make the most of today.

Unzip the archive and put the files in the usb stick without any folders.

Then power off the system, insert the drive, power on and hit the flash button on the MB

''Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.''
''For every idiot proof system devised, a new, improved idiot will arise to overcome it.''

Ask a neighbor or friend to lend you an empty usb stick and use that instead of waiting for amazon. (any capacity works just fine - format to fat32 just to be safe)

Also, most important: Do not power off your system or unplug the usb stick after a few minutes thinking it's done.

Sometimes on some mb's it can take quite a few minutes.

1 hour ago, BenH said:

Yes I will do that, that's what I was saying before that at the moment this seems to me like the only solution...

I ordered a simple flashdrive, it was supposed to get here last weekend but it didnt.............. amazon prime, come on guys.....

but I'm glad you guys are saying the same so it gives me some hopes, I'll get a usb and install the update and will let you know what's happening .

there are 2 pages to download either a CPU support : https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-wi-fi-model/helpdesk_cpu
or
something that looks like a BIOS update: https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-wi-fi-model/helpdesk_download

which one is the right one to download and transfer to the flashdrive?

Thanks !

The CPU support will take you to the first BIOS that will support that CPU. Divers & Tools > BIOS will give you the newest BIOS for that board. It also has a spot where you can copy the naming they want for the BIOS on the USB drive.

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-wi-fi-model/helpdesk_bios/

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Hi guys!

Thank you for the help everyone!
The update did the trick, I'm so relieved.......

Now I'm trying to understand how to get my windows hahaha... buy it with hundreds of dollars or maybe download from their website the free one and use it without a cdeky... or other solutions......

I'm open for tips 😄
but in general we solved the main problem for this thread 🍻

39 minutes ago, BenH said:

Hi guys!

Thank you for the help everyone!
The update did the trick, I'm so relieved.......

Now I'm trying to understand how to get my windows hahaha... buy it with hundreds of dollars or maybe download from their website the free one and use it without a cdeky... or other solutions......

I'm open for tips 😄
but in general we solved the main problem for this thread 🍻

LOL, just don't licence it and run as is.  

This is the way.