Is windows 1909 defective?

Mark Kaine

because I just updated from 1809 due to some weird issues with windows desktop manager and client server run time process using up a lot of my GPU suddenly and I thought that'd fix it maybe, but it didn't, the behavior is completely unchanged... 

But now I'm noticing a lot of oddities with 1909 like it takes forever loading video thumbnails, almost as if they would be created newly each time instead of caching them lol... and also nvidia GeForce is acting weird, it doesn't record in higher resolutions than 1080p, unless I restart the recording function *while* the game is running (so another cache problem perhaps?) 

Also additionally my hard-drives are a lot louder than usual while not doing anything special (could also be related to the same problem, or... "feature") 

Anyone else had similar experience like this, did H20 or whatever it's called fix these issues? 

Should I reinstall my nvidia drivers? 

Gonna probably do that anyways after this malwarebytes scan is done, because I'm not sure this isn't all caused by a virus or something... 

And sorry if this belongs into the windows section, I'm not sure, but it seems more like actually a trouble shooting question, even though it's seemingly caused by windows 10 (or the nvidia drivers or a virus... who knows) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I'd go to 20H2 and see if that helps. It is possible that your install itself has got corruption over time. Worst case it might take a fresh install to sort out.

If you want to stick to 1909 for some reason, try getting it to do a self-check:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Also check and disable HPET if present. It is disabled by default, but it may explain some weird cases of low performance I've seen, especially as I have tended to enable it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

16 minutes ago, germgoatz said:

windows is defective in general

while I would agree "in general" windows 1809 specifically wasn't really defective for the course of a year or so until yesterday this weird window desktop manager issue appeared out of nowhere... 

Which is why if I can't fix this or this new *slowness* (defender is also incredibly slow btw) is a new 'feature' I'll go back and try to troubleshoot the issues there... in hindsight maybe a simple driver reinstall would have fixed it but everything ran so well before that I didn't really consider it... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

If you are gonna update to 20H2 make sure it's not corrupted in ANY way. I had random lockups in which I'd lose audio and my whole computer would proceed to freeze afterwards.

I checked my Windows Security panel and it was completely empty.

This is how my Security Panel looks now, after I did a clean reinstall a month ago:
https://i.imgur.com/DHE3nwB.png

This is how it used to look like when my computer was randomly freezing:

https://i.imgur.com/nkDZLUg.png

12 minutes ago, porina said:

I'd go to 20H2 and see if that helps. It is possible that your install itself has got corruption over time. Worst case it might take a fresh install to sort out.

If you want to stick to 1909 for some reason, try getting it to do a self-check:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Also check and disable HPET if present. It is disabled by default, but it may explain some weird cases of low performance I've seen, especially as I have tended to enable it.

hmm, ok thanks, I'll look into that and yeah I was thinking to try the newest version too before going back to the stone age 1809... after reinstalling gpu drivers that is... but yeah this isn't the first time I've installed 1909 and I've noticed these issues before, as it's a really stark contrast to 1809 which is incredibly "snappy", and quiet... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

19 minutes ago, porina said:

Also check and disable HPET if present

I mean I can try but I don't think that's what's causing these issues, wether it's on or not I had no issues whatsoever over the past 6 months or so, and this weird behavior of windows processes using up a lot of my GPU *incidentally* only started the moment I set a custom fan curve in Afterburner - I didn't even save it - but I do have a strong suspicion that's what actually caused all this, simply due to the exact timing of occurrence... also another thing I should try obviously, simply reinstall Afterburner completely (rip my settings...) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Doubt updating will fix anything, if your original 1809 stopped working correctly then either your profile or install has something corrupted, and that'll just carry forward to the updated versions.

So if it doesn't help, clean install. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

33 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Doubt updating will fix anything, if your original 1809 stopped working correctly then either your profile or install has something corrupted, and that'll just carry forward to the updated versions.

yeah you're probably right... even though it would be hilarious ms still didn't figure this out (error detection / correction) after what feels like at least 40 years in the business?  

Though it's really kind of weird how this happens (high gpu usage when moving mouse etc) I mean something must be able to make this processes work normally again... 

Go back to my precious 1809 backup with updates completely disabled and hope this shit doesn't happen again you say? yes that's exactly the plan! 😛

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Windows 10 is crap. Windows 7 is great and I'm still happily using it. No updates and no problems for many years now.

ok I updated drivers, reinstalled Afterburner... no change whatsoever. 

I kinda wonder if this has anything to do with my new PSU, Bequiet straight power 11... because it's the only thing that actually changed and I never had this or similar issues... 

But of course I simply can't make sense of why windows processes now suddenly use up so much gpu - I also think maybe it's something with the USB... 

I set pcie link state to off and my mouse immediately stopped working lol... so yeah... and the mouse is exactly where it uses so much gpu - tried another mouse, same thing, no change... 🤷🏼

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 weeks later...

Update, so 20h2 didn't fix the gpu usage, nor the weird hard-drive activities... however turns out the cable from my gaming controller is defective (again) and while the gpu usage bug is still there (there is no reason for svchost to use up to 15% of a RTX 3070...) 

I changed out the Bequiet "straight power" PSU and that reduced my temps overall about at least 10C, including the GPU! 

Who woulda thought 'straight power' means it sends all that power straight into the PC case, what a fail design™...! 

(seriously I have no idea why this psu produced so much heat, the rmi I have now sits comfortably between 30-40c even under heavy load...) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

no it sucks atleast for me, going back to 1909 again, automatic sleep doesn't work for shit and i like my monitor turning off after a short period when i am not using it

it's funny 1909 or 20H, it makes no difference to me... sluggish, buggy, unreliable... 

1809 is where it's at, runs very smooth, very silent, very responsive... 

Thankfully I do have backups, with a dead (I killed him sue me) update orchestrator so it can't "update" to sluggish version at all, even if it wanted. 🙂

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity