Canon R6 or Sony A7iii?

Skykiller

Hello,

I am planing to get a new Camera and thought on the new R6 or a Sony A7iii. With this Camera I would Film and take Photos. I had a Canon Camera before a have some accesories for it but not that mutch that i couldn't switch to Sony. At the moment I think that the R6 seems to be the better choice for me, but I want to here waht you Guys out there are saying. (I know about specs and everything so you don't have to explain anything to me)

Thanks for answer,

Matteo.

The a7iii is due for a replacement eventually. It is still a capable camera but the EOS R6 as of right now is definitely the more capable of the 2. The Sony is a better deal on the second-hand market, however, due to its age.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD said:

The a7iii is due for a replacement eventually. It is still a capable camera but the EOS R6 as of right now is definitely the more capable of the 2. The Sony is a better deal on the second-hand market, however, due to its age.

Yeah I also think so. At some Points you see that the a7iii is 2 Years old.

19 minutes ago, Skykiller said:

I am planing to get a new Camera and thought on the new R6 or a Sony A7iii. With this Camera I would Film and take Photos. I had a Canon Camera before a have some accesories for it but not that mutch that i couldn't switch to Sony.

10 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

I'd also add: there's a load more first- and third-party lenses for Sony E/FE-mount than are currently available for Canon RF-mount. (Adapters are a thing, I know, but at that point, you can adapt pretty much anything to either)

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | a 10G NIC (pending) | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

2 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

I'd also add: there's a load more first- and third-party lenses for Sony E/FE-mount than are currently available for Canon RF-mount. (Adapters are a thing, I know, but at that point, you can adapt pretty much anything to either)

Which is a big deal as it is much easier to build a solid native Sony E-Mount kit on a tighter budget right now, thanks to the flurry of third-party lens options.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Okay that’s true but I think that someday third party lenses will come out. And you can adapt every ef lens with an canon adapter. I know that that is not the true thing and that Sony probably is the better in this case. But I don’t wanna wait uncial Sony finally releases an A7iV. 

I'd honestly go for the Z5 or Z6II over the R6; way better value for money imho

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

4 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

I don’t know. The Z Series is very good. But for the Canon Dual Pixel Auto Fokus is just fantastic. I mean it has 100% coverage. 

12 hours ago, Skykiller said:

I don’t know. The Z Series is very good. But for the Canon Dual Pixel Auto Fokus is just fantastic. I mean it has 100% coverage. 

I suppose it depends on how much video you plan on doing. I just look at the cost of the R6 compared to the Z6II and Z5 and think the R6 is overpriced for what it offers. For the cost of an R6, you could get a Z camera and some pretty sweet lenses. I just think the Z6II and Z5 present a much better value for money proposition than the R6.

In Canada, the R6 is $3,500 CAD. The Z6II is $2700 CAD and the Z5 is $1900 CAD. IMHO, it makes more sense to go with Nikon and use the money saved to buy lenses.

On 1/28/2021 at 10:59 AM, YellowJersey said:

I'd go used Z6 over a Z5 personally.

It's amazing just how low its secondhand value has stooped down to. It's still distinctly "first-gen" in many aspects, but it's still a really capable snapper.

On 1/28/2021 at 9:26 PM, YellowJersey said:

I suppose it depends on how much video you plan on doing. I just look at the cost of the R6 compared to the Z6II and Z5 and think the R6 is overpriced for what it offers. For the cost of an R6, you could get a Z camera and some pretty sweet lenses. I just think the Z6II and Z5 present a much better value for money proposition than the R6.

In Canada, the R6 is $3,500 CAD. The Z6II is $2700 CAD and the Z5 is $1900 CAD. IMHO, it makes more sense to go with Nikon and use the money saved to buy lenses.

Okay that is overpriced. But I live in Germany and here the Z6 and r6 are Not that high priced. The Z6 cost 2400 and the r6 around 2500 euros. 

6 hours ago, Skykiller said:

Okay that is overpriced. But I live in Germany and here the Z6 and r6 are Not that high priced. The Z6 cost 2400 and the r6 around 2500 euros. 

Ah, that makes more sense

On 1/27/2021 at 5:20 PM, Skykiller said:

Hello,

I am planing to get a new Camera and thought on the new R6 or a Sony A7iii. With this Camera I would Film and take Photos. I had a Canon Camera before a have some accesories for it but not that mutch that i couldn't switch to Sony. At the moment I think that the R6 seems to be the better choice for me, but I want to here waht you Guys out there are saying. (I know about specs and everything so you don't have to explain anything to me)

Thanks for answer,

Matteo.

Go for whichever camera feels best in your hands, the one who’s ergonomics suit you best. Also look at what lenses you want to use, which brand has them at decent quality, price and availability. Don’t be afraid of adapting EF lenses to RF either, the interface is basically unchanged but with extra features added for RF. in essence it is just a spacer with a few through connectors. EF lenses on RF cameras see no degradation in performance and act just as they would on an EF body. The same cannot be said when adapting EF glass to a Sony where there can be compatibility issues. If you decide to go that route be sure to check your chosen combo works well.

I am a Canon user myself. I have had a lot of experience f other brands but after so many years my muscle memory has become ingrained. Canon tend to keep ergonomics similar from body to body so under pressure it all comes naturally to me. So for me, changing brand would be more of a struggle, currently Canon do not produce a body that floats my boat so I am sticking with the ones I already own. Hopefully the rumoured R7 will arrive then I will probably buy that. Until then my current Canon bodies had better last or they will receive a damn good thrashing.

13 hours ago, Distinctly Average said:

Go for whichever camera feels best in your hands, the one who’s ergonomics suit you best. Also look at what lenses you want to use, which brand has them at decent quality, price and availability. Don’t be afraid of adapting EF lenses to RF either, the interface is basically unchanged but with extra features added for RF. in essence it is just a spacer with a few through connectors. EF lenses on RF cameras see no degradation in performance and act just as they would on an EF body. The same cannot be said when adapting EF glass to a Sony where there can be compatibility issues. If you decide to go that route be sure to check your chosen combo works well.

I am a Canon user myself. I have had a lot of experience f other brands but after so many years my muscle memory has become ingrained. Canon tend to keep ergonomics similar from body to body so under pressure it all comes naturally to me. So for me, changing brand would be more of a struggle, currently Canon do not produce a body that floats my boat so I am sticking with the ones I already own. Hopefully the rumoured R7 will arrive then I will probably buy that. Until then my current Canon bodies had better last or they will receive a damn good thrashing.

I think I go with the canon R6 as I said I used canon before and love it and also don‘t wanna switch. ergonomics.... but also a bit of Canon Fanboy. Hahaha. 

Are you using the 5D , 6D or what? What is your Problem with R6/ R5?

14 hours ago, Distinctly Average said:

Oh and the R7 should be the one with RF Mount but APSC sensor or?

1 hour ago, Skykiller said:

Oh and the R7 should be the one with RF Mount but APSC sensor or?

I would hope so. That would be a camera many wildlife togs would snap up. The 7D series was just that. In my part of the world they are very popular so I am sure a replacement in RF will be too.

A7iii but realize at some point this year it should get upgraded.

E has a much larger catalog and cheaper lenses than RF and both can use EF easily enough

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 1/31/2021 at 2:57 PM, Skykiller said:

I think I go with the canon R6 as I said I used canon before and love it and also don‘t wanna switch. ergonomics.... but also a bit of Canon Fanboy. Hahaha. 

I currently have a few Canon bodies. Three crop including the 7D2 and 90D. I also have a 5D3 which rarely gets used.

For macro I prefer crop bodies, especially with my MPE65. I also enjoy using the EFS60. I do own the 100L IS Macro but with twin flashes and decent diffusion the shorter focal length works better.

As for the R5 and R6 is is really a matter of pixels on subject. For wildlife I like to travel light. With the 5D3 I have to lug around my 500mm which is a heavy beast. Especially when photographing swift and the like you really need to be hand holding to track them which becomes a chore with such a heavy lens. The 7D2 with my 100-400II works really well as a walk around lens and for tracking fast subjects. 

While the E5 is excellent, in crop mode that would be a reduction in pixels on subject, not that I would use crop mode. To get the effective reach I would need to carry larger glass which is just not something I want to do. I am lugging enough weight as it is with my macro kit and wildlife setup. I am also too lazy to carry a tripod and find them restrictive.

So while I could go out and get a a R5, I would prefer to wait in the hope an APSC arrives in RF as a successor to the 7D2. It seems very Likely to happen and I am in no rush as what I have is still going strong. 

On 1/31/2021 at 6:57 AM, Skykiller said:

being a canon fanboy is as bad as being an apple fanboy.
canons not pushed the industry forward in years

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

9 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

One of the reasons why I jumped ship to Sony years ago.

1 minute ago, YellowJersey said:

One of the reasons why I jumped ship to Sony years ago.

I will move to sony, when I've got the money to move off of 5-10 year old canon bodies

9 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

Money isn’t everything. Sure, I like ke

many could change brands. Thing is, muscle

memory Is hard to overcome after so many years using a brand. What Canon get right is consistent ergonomics making it easy to just pick up any of their higher end bodies and just shoot. In high pressure situations this means a lot to me. Sony on the other hand, and even Nikon to a lesser extent, change a lot body to body. That can mean missed shots, and has for me when I have used those systems.

Personally I think all those brands make superb cameras. Differences are minimal despite spec sheets. For me, Canons have been reliable work horses. Nikon too have great reliability with Sony less so. Sony are pushing the tech which is great. It is a market where we are really lucky to have so much competition as it has resulted in us being spoiled for choice.

On 2/3/2021 at 8:39 AM, Distinctly Average said:

Money isn’t everything. Sure, I like ke

many could change brands. Thing is, muscle

memory Is hard to overcome after so many years using a brand. What Canon get right is consistent ergonomics making it easy to just pick up any of their higher end bodies and just shoot. In high pressure situations this means a lot to me. Sony on the other hand, and even Nikon to a lesser extent, change a lot body to body. That can mean missed shots, and has for me when I have used those systems.

Personally I think all those brands make superb cameras. Differences are minimal despite spec sheets. For me, Canons have been reliable work horses. Nikon too have great reliability with Sony less so. Sony are pushing the tech which is great. It is a market where we are really lucky to have so much competition as it has resulted in us being spoiled for choice.

I think the same. And also I like canon so I take canon. The specs are basically the same. 

On 2/2/2021 at 10:40 PM, GDRRiley said:

At first I didn‘t said that I am proud to be a Canon Fanboy it was more of a joke.

And at second, I guess you shot with Sony or you will change to Sony soon. The problem that I sometimes have especially with Sony shooters is that some of them just some of them say: „buy a Sony, sony is the best.“  And yeah in some cases this is so. But specs are not everything that counts by buying a Camera. There are so may more things. And then People like you criticize camera from other brands and don‘t see that Sony’s new 7000$ doesn’t ‘t even has a tilt screen.  Aren’t you the real Fanboy and brand ???? Of course you can say that this thing on the R6 is bad or this and yeah my question here was Sony or canon. But you did nothing of this you just came and said in other words ah „canon is bad I hate it“. Of course canon is bad in somethings but sony also is not always the best and that is good so. The perfect camera does not exist and so the perfect brand does not exist. Just accept that some Brands have something that other people like and that for them is a reason to buy this camera even if you think it means nothing. Every person is different and so they have different reasons to buy stuff. Get out of you Sony is the best bubble. 

Just now, Skykiller said:

At first I didn‘t said that I am proud to be a Canon Fanboy it was more of a joke.

And at second, I guess you shot with Sony or you will change to Sony soon. The problem that I sometimes have especially with Sony shooters is that some of them just some of them say: „buy a Sony, sony is the best.“  And yeah in some cases this is so. But specs are not everything that counts by buying a Camera. There are so may more things. And then People like you criticize camera from other brands and don‘t see that Sony’s new 7000$ doesn’t ‘t even has a tilt screen.  Aren’t you the real Fanboy and brand ???? Of course you can say that this thing on the R6 is bad or this and yeah my question here was Sony or canon. But you did nothing of this you just came and said in other words ah „canon is bad I hate it“. Of course canon is bad in somethings but sony also is not always the best and that is good so. The perfect camera does not exist and so the perfect brand does not exist. Just accept that some Brands have something that other people like and that for them is a reason to buy this camera even if you think it means nothing. Every person is different and so they have different reasons to buy stuff. Get out of you Sony is the best bubble. 

Oh and btw no hate against any sony shooter out there. I have no problem with you. Everybody can shoot what he wants to shoot.