AMD Build Based off "Ultimate Guide to Value Graphics Card Shopping"

The motherboard I picked out is an H87 chip set motherboard, it can overclock if you decide to pick an unlocked processor (k series processor, better for overclock) later on. However, the next generation of Intel (presumably i5-5xxx etc.) would not work on this board, since the new gen would need a 9 series chip set (e.g. H97) which isn't yet available.

Reconsidering, I'd downgrade the board and pick up an i5-4670. The performance upgrade is minimal, but if you don't think you'll overclock, I'd get the better locked processor (non-k) for only $20 or so more. The 4670 should last anyway, since an i5-2500k is still suitable for gaming.

WoodenMarker's build is nicer if you don't expect to replace the GPU any time soon. I included it just so you could replace it or upgrade it if you want. Performance wise, the build is identical to mine, I just have a bigger PSU, aesthetically nicer rig (my opinion), and bigger SSD (always a plus).

@WoodenMarker With light, future OC in mind how does this look? Is it too much? Is there something that wont work? I want it to be available to OC in case I do get into the PC gaming atmosphere. Im really trying to spend less than $900 USD BEFORE TAXES and this one puts me over that budget by 5 bucks. I know that the phantom case keeps coming up in my builds, its because I like its form. Since this rig will be in display in my living room (Front and Center), i feel it a bit necessary to for it to look like a decoration more than just a box. Edges on a case don't really appeal to me. 

I will need way better cooling once I'm ready to OC correct? Would the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO still be enough or will I have to find another solution?

I appreciate your help, and apologize for my untimely responses.

I'm probably a little late for the party, but in terms of games, I would check out some of the Crysis games, Dota 2 (if you like MOBAs), and Star Citizen when it comes out :)

@WoodenMarker With light, future OC in mind how does this look? Is it too much? Is there something that wont work? I want it to be available to OC in case I do get into the PC gaming atmosphere. Im really trying to spend less than $900 USD BEFORE TAXES and this one puts me over that budget by 5 bucks. I know that the phantom case keeps coming up in my builds, its because I like its form. Since this rig will be in display in my living room (Front and Center), i feel it a bit necessary to for it to look like a decoration more than just a box. Edges on a case don't really appeal to me. 

I will need way better cooling once I'm ready to OC correct? Would the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO still be enough or will I have to find another solution?

I appreciate your help, and apologize for my untimely responses.

A 212 Evo will be plenty. 

Edits: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hvon

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@Dante0217, I spend a lot of time on these forums helping people doing new builds, and I must say, I am really thankful and impressed that you have done a lot of your own research, and are asking for reasons behind people's decisions.  You are not just taking advise, but understanding what that advise means and how it impacts your computer's performance and longevity.  Kudos.  I wish more people who come to this section of the forum were more like you.

Now, onto the build:

Processor:  I hope you live near a MicroCenter, or have a family member or friend who does so that you can get an Intel i5-4670k for only $190.  This is a really good price to pay for such a powerful processor that allows for excellent stock performance and powerful overclocks.  This is one of the best gaming processors on the market, and you will not encounter any bottlenecks what-so-ever!

Motherboard:  The motherboard doesn't impact performance.  Get the least expensive Z87 motherboard that you can find.  The one selected in WoodenMaker's and my build is perfect, if you can find a less expensive Z87, then buy it.  You have to get Z87 because that is the motherboard that is the best for overclocking the "k" line of processors.

RAM:  There are two things I would like you to understand about RAM.  First is, How much RAM do you really need? BF4 will require 8GB of RAM though, and it will be nice to start off with 8GB so you have plenty of headroom.  If you want to save money, you could start off with 4GB, and add another 4GB later.  But I would recommend going with 8GB from the start.  The 2nd thing about RAM you need to understand is what speed of RAM do you need?  For gaming, you really won't notice a difference between speeds.  The sweet spot, and recommended amount is 8GB(4GBx2) of 1600Mhz, and CL 9-9-9-24 running at 1.5V - should cost about $70.  What I listed in my build was some 1600Mhz, 10-10-10-27 1.5 stuff, but it is only $50 for 8GB.  The difference in performance is only 10%, but you would be spending 20% more to achieve that 10% improvement.  Not good value especially when you're on a budget, and I don't think you will notice that 10% difference when gaming.  I have a gaming machine, that uses 1600mhz 10-10-10-27 RAM, it runs like a dream.  Here is the exact RAM that I have, it is $55, but it is all black, so if appearance matters to you, you could spend the $5 more to get the RAM in black.  Brand of RAM does not matter.  The only thing different from brand to brand is: appearance, warranty, and heat dissipation.  Patriot is a very good brand of RAM that comes with a lifetime warranty.

Storage:  You are going to want to get an SSD and an HDD.  Your operating system will be installed on your SSD for extremely fast boot times to give you that "New Computer, Money Well Spent" feeling.  120GB gives you plenty of overhead to manage your C drive with your OS, and maybe 1-2 frequently played games.  Brand of SSD does matter, but where it matters is for transferring large files. Different SSDs come with different rated times, and those rated times are tested for large file transfers.  For day-to-day tasks, the performance between one premium brand and another bargain brand is going to be non-existant.  Go with the least expensive 120GB SSD you can find.  You will also want at least a 1TB HDD to store your media and the bulk of your games.  I have selected both for you in my build.

Video Card:  The video card is the most important component of your machine.  It should account for 40%-50% of your overall budget.  No component will have an impact on performance as much as your video card, which is why you want to spend as much as possible on this component.  I prefer Nvidia over AMD, this is my opinion, and this opinion is derived from looking at many different benchmarks, on many different cards, and many different price brackets.  Nvidia seems to win almost every time.  Yes, you can spend less money and go ATI, but I really urge you to go Nvidia.  Here is a really good benchmark comparison website.  The GTX760 is a very good card for your needs, and for only $250!  Also, you wont need as big of a PSU.

If you can manage to save a little bit more, you could get a GTX770 for only $309! that is an amazing, amazing price from a really good brand, with one of the best cooling units, for a really appealing price.  If you were to get the 770 over the 760, you will have to rationalize by thinking of longevity.  Yes there will be an immediate performance increase over the 760, but it will also last for longer.  The 760 should last plenty long, and I advise you to go with that, I just wanted you to be aware of the next step up for only $60 more for the card.  With a more powerful GPU, you will need a stronger PSU, which will cost you another $20.  Again, for your needs and budget, the GTX760 and 430W PSU will be your best value.

Power Supply:  Power Supply is a component that doesn't impact the performance of your machine, it just powers it.  It is not a good idea to skimp out on your power supply, but it is not beneficial to spend more than you have to either.  The Corsair CX430 for only $20 is a very good value, and has that nice mix of performance, functionality, and cost, all while coming from a very reputable Power Supply manufacturer.  You want to get the least expensive 430W-500W PSU that is from a reputable brand and is at least 80+ Bronze certified.  If you can find something better than the Corsair CX430, then by all means get that.

Case:  Your case is another aspect of your computer that doesn't have an impact on performance.  I often urge people on a budget to get the least expensive, yet visually appealing case they can find because that money can be better utilized on components that affect in-game performance.  In your earlier posts I know you said you wanted a more aesthetically pleasing case, but the money you would have spent on a case, can be much better utilized.  The Antec One that I have selected is fairly plain looking, but it is going to serve its purpose very well.  It is a very large case, which is a must for the Hyper 212 EVO because of how big that CPU cooler is.  So there wont be a question of whether it will fit or not, it will.  The Antec One also comes with 2 fans, so you wont have to purchase any extras, and it is modern enough to come with front panel USB3.0 ports, not a necessity, but nice to have that capability, especially when you are only spending $35.

Optical Drive:  Just get the least expensive one you can find.  Usually about $15, maybe you could find one for $10 on ebay, I haven't looked.

Operating System:  I selected Windows 8.1, I really like Windows 8.1 it just feels like a much more intuitive and smart operating system than Windows 7.  There have also been benchmarks done by Linus that show Windows 8 is superior to Windows 7 in gaming.  This is not for every single game, but the games that did show an improvement, it was a large improvement.

Best of luck, welcome to the PC enthusiast world, you are definitely a welcome addition and we hope you stick around on the forums and community after your build is complete.  Hope I was able to shed some light on the process!  Without further a due, here is my build for you:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hwQj
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hwQj/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hwQj/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Micro Center) <-- This is an in-store only price!
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($30.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.79 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($26.90 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY XLR8 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($64.99 @ TigerDirect)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($249.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $885.43
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-27 16:37 EDT-0400)

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

A 212 Evo will be plenty. 

Edits: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hvon

On your build it says this "Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum." 

Is this ok? Im sure you wouldnt have recommended it without your reasons, but what are your thoughts?

On your build it says this "Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum." 

Is this ok? Im sure you wouldnt have recommended it without your reasons, but what are your thoughts?

It's been confirmed by Intel employees that 1.65v ram works just fine. The 1.5v thing is just so people don't overvolt like crazy when oc'ing their ram. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's been confirmed by Intel employees that 1.65v ram works just fine. The 1.5v thing is just so people don't overvolt like crazy when oc'ing their ram. 

You continue to bring boundless information to my quest. I appreciate it so much. This honestly seems to be the one, I cant find anything else to add or take away at the moment. I am truly grateful! 

@Dante0217, I spend a lot of time on these forums helping people doing new builds, and I must say, I am really thankful and impressed that you have done a lot of your own research, and are asking for reasons behind people's decisions.  You are not just taking advise, but understanding what that advise means and how it impacts your computer's performance and longevity.  Kudos.  I wish more people who come to this section of the forum were more like you.

Now, onto the build:

Processor:  I hope you live near a MicroCenter, or have a family member or friend who does so that you can get an Intel i5-4670k for only $190.  This is a really good price to pay for such a powerful processor that allows for excellent stock performance and powerful overclocks.  This is one of the best gaming processors on the market, and you will not encounter any bottlenecks what-so-ever!

Motherboard:  The motherboard doesn't impact performance.  Get the least expensive Z87 motherboard that you can find.  The one selected in WoodenMaker's and my build is perfect, if you can find a less expensive Z87, then buy it.  You have to get Z87 because that is the motherboard that is the best for overclocking the "k" line of processors.

RAM:  There are two things I would like you to understand about RAM.  First is, How much RAM do you really need? BF4 will require 8GB of RAM though, and it will be nice to start off with 8GB so you have plenty of headroom.  If you want to save money, you could start off with 4GB, and add another 4GB later.  But I would recommend going with 8GB from the start.  The 2nd thing about RAM you need to understand is what speed of RAM do you need?  For gaming, you really won't notice a difference between speeds.  The sweet spot, and recommended amount is 8GB(4GBx2) of 1600Mhz, and CL 9-9-9-24 running at 1.5V - should cost about $70.  What I listed in my build was some 1600Mhz, 10-10-10-27 1.5 stuff, but it is only $50 for 8GB.  The difference in performance is only 10%, but you would be spending 20% more to achieve that 10% improvement.  Not good value especially when you're on a budget, and I don't think you will notice that 10% difference when gaming.  I have a gaming machine, that uses 1600mhz 10-10-10-27 RAM, it runs like a dream.  Here is the exact RAM that I have, it is $55, but it is all black, so if appearance matters to you, you could spend the $5 more to get the RAM in black.  Brand of RAM does not matter.  The only thing different from brand to brand is: appearance, warranty, and heat dissipation.  Patriot is a very good brand of RAM that comes with a lifetime warranty.

Storage:  You are going to want to get an SSD and an HDD.  Your operating system will be installed on your SSD for extremely fast boot times to give you that "New Computer, Money Well Spent" feeling.  120GB gives you plenty of overhead to manage your C drive with your OS, and maybe 1-2 frequently played games.  Brand of SSD does matter, but where it matters is for transferring large files. Different SSDs come with different rated times, and those rated times are tested for large file transfers.  For day-to-day tasks, the performance between one premium brand and another bargain brand is going to be non-existant.  Go with the least expensive 120GB SSD you can find.  You will also want at least a 1TB HDD to store your media and the bulk of your games.  I have selected both for you in my build.

Video Card:  The video card is the most important component of your machine.  It should account for 40%-50% of your overall budget.  No component will have an impact on performance as much as your video card, which is why you want to spend as much as possible on this component.  I prefer Nvidia over AMD, this is my opinion, and this opinion is derived from looking at many different benchmarks, on many different cards, and many different price brackets.  Nvidia seems to win almost every time.  Yes, you can spend less money and go ATI, but I really urge you to go Nvidia.  Here is a really good benchmark comparison website.  The GTX760 is a very good card for your needs, and for only $250!  Also, you wont need as big of a PSU.

If you can manage to save a little bit more, you could get a GTX770 for only $309! that is an amazing, amazing price from a really good brand, with one of the best cooling units, for a really appealing price.  If you were to get the 770 over the 760, you will have to rationalize by thinking of longevity.  Yes there will be an immediate performance increase over the 760, but it will also last for longer.  The 760 should last plenty long, and I advise you to go with that, I just wanted you to be aware of the next step up for only $60 more for the card.  With a more powerful GPU, you will need a stronger PSU, which will cost you another $20.  Again, for your needs and budget, the GTX760 and 430W PSU will be your best value.

Power Supply:  Power Supply is a component that doesn't impact the performance of your machine, it just powers it.  It is not a good idea to skimp out on your power supply, but it is not beneficial to spend more than you have to either.  The Corsair CX430 for only $20 is a very good value, and has that nice mix of performance, functionality, and cost, all while coming from a very reputable Power Supply manufacturer.  You want to get the least expensive 430W-500W PSU that is from a reputable brand and is at least 80+ Bronze certified.  If you can find something better than the Corsair CX430, then by all means get that.

Case:  Your case is another aspect of your computer that doesn't have an impact on performance.  I often urge people on a budget to get the least expensive, yet visually appealing case they can find because that money can be better utilized on components that affect in-game performance.  In your earlier posts I know you said you wanted a more aesthetically pleasing case, but the money you would have spent on a case, can be much better utilized.  The Antec One that I have selected is fairly plain looking, but it is going to serve its purpose very well.  It is a very large case, which is a must for the Hyper 212 EVO because of how big that CPU cooler is.  So there wont be a question of whether it will fit or not, it will.  The Antec One also comes with 2 fans, so you wont have to purchase any extras, and it is modern enough to come with front panel USB3.0 ports, not a necessity, but nice to have that capability, especially when you are only spending $35.

Optical Drive:  Just get the least expensive one you can find.  Usually about $15, maybe you could find one for $10 on ebay, I haven't looked.

Operating System:  I selected Windows 8.1, I really like Windows 8.1 it just feels like a much more intuitive and smart operating system than Windows 7.  There have also been benchmarks done by Linus that show Windows 8 is superior to Windows 7 in gaming.  This is not for every single game, but the games that did show an improvement, it was a large improvement.

Best of luck, welcome to the PC enthusiast world, you are definitely a welcome addition and we hope you stick around on the forums and community after your build is complete.  Hope I was able to shed some light on the process!  Without further a due, here is my build for you:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hwQj

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hwQj/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hwQj/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Micro Center) <-- This is an in-store only price!

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($30.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.79 @ Newegg)

Storage: PNY XLR8 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($64.99 @ TigerDirect)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.95 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($249.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($15.98 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $885.43

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-27 16:37 EDT-0400)

Hello Faceman! You brought sooooo much information, and so many good details! All this information will most assuredly help me in my quest to build a PC. I feel so welcomed here at the forum and its because of people like you. I have a feeling that by the end of the year my build will look EXTREMELY similar to what you have provided. For the moment i just want to build the bare necessities and see how i like the gaming environment. The cooler will be stock until I'm ready to OC and the HDD will be added within a couple months of completion. Optical drive is completely unnecessary considering I do 90% of things digitally now. You really cleared up all the questions I had about motherboards and that put me at great ease. I felt like i was getting too picky and wanted too much (SLI+OC+Green/Black Coloring). Then i did my research about SLI and told myself "When would I need that?" and the answer was "Probably Never". 

Aesthetically i wanted it to look somewhat decent,since it is going to be a Multimedia Station along with its uses for usual college business. It will be front and center in my living room so i wanted it to go with the rest of my Home Theater set up, BLACK/GREEN, hence the case. I understand that a case is a case and the one you provided will do its job and I will definitely consider that in future builds.

The OS had been predetermined since the beginning since I have an extra copy of windows 8 lying around.Your explanation about RAM also cleared up any questions and I knew I was headed in the right direction when I kept telling my self to buy 8Gb in either 2x4gb or 1x8gb. 

Again thank you for making me feel welcomed and I definitely plan to stick around, gaming on a PC is going to be an adventure and I will probably need help come building time.  

Hello Faceman! You brought sooooo much information, and so many good details! All this information will most assuredly help me in my quest to build a PC. I feel so welcomed here at the forum and its because of people like you. I have a feeling that by the end of the year my build will look EXTREMELY similar to what you have provided. For the moment i just want to build the bare necessities and see how i like the gaming environment. The cooler will be stock until I'm ready to OC and the HDD will be added within a couple months of completion. Optical drive is completely unnecessary considering I do 90% of things digitally now. You really cleared up all the questions I had about motherboards and that put me at great ease. I felt like i was getting too picky and wanted too much (SLI+OC+Green/Black Coloring). Then i did my research about SLI and told myself "When would I need that?" and the answer was "Probably Never". 

Aesthetically i wanted it to look somewhat decent,since it is going to be a Multimedia Station along with its uses for usual college business. It will be front and center in my living room so i wanted it to go with the rest of my Home Theater set up, BLACK/GREEN, hence the case. I understand that a case is a case and the one you provided will do its job and I will definitely consider that in future builds.

The OS had been predetermined since the beginning since I have an extra copy of windows 8 lying around.Your explanation about RAM also cleared up any questions and I knew I was headed in the right direction when I kept telling my self to buy 8Gb in either 2x4gb or 1x8gb. 

Again thank you for making me feel welcomed and I definitely plan to stick around, gaming on a PC is going to be an adventure and I will probably need help come building time.  

I hope you stick around in the community even after you have completed your build.

Back to your build though, since you have a copy of Windows 8, and wont want an after market cooler from the start I am going to do a new build in order to better repurpose that money.  The new build will give you better performance, as well as increased system longevity.  Please remind me, do you live near a micro center?

If you do live near MicroCenter, you are going to want to go shopping immediately.  There are some incredible deals this weekend:

Intel i5-4670k + MSI Z87-G41 = $245 (in store bundle deal only) This will be hard to beat.

Corsair CX600M = $45, I recommend buying this now before the price goes back up.  I have the same PSU and it works terrific.

Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB RAM = $55, you will have a hard time finding better value/performance RAM.  It is also black, so will match your configuration.

Kingston V300 120GB SSD = $65, You are going to want to get an SSD when you first begin so that you can install your operating system on here and then you could add an HDD later.  But you will blow through 120GB fast, so I kept the HDD in my build for you.

Asus GTX 770 DC2OC = $309!!! That is an AMAZING price for this powerful of a card, it is usually $350.  It is also from one of the best brands, and has the best cooling out of all the 770s. Get this now!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3i46C

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3i46C/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3i46C/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Micro Center) <-- Bundle deal at Microcenter only

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($55.00) <-- Bundle deal at Microcenter only

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($65.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($309.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Apevia X-DREAMER4-GN ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Mwave) <-- Nicer, more expensive Black/Green case.  Find one that you like.

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($15.98 @ OutletPC) <-- you are going to need one of these in order to install all of your drivers that come with hardware.

Total: $850.72

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-28 16:04 EDT-0400)

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you stick around in the community even after you have completed your build.

Back to your build though, since you have a copy of Windows 8, and wont want an after market cooler from the start I am going to do a new build in order to better repurpose that money.  The new build will give you better performance, as well as increased system longevity.  Please remind me, do you live near a micro center?

If you do live near MicroCenter, you are going to want to go shopping immediately.  There are some incredible deals this weekend:

Intel i5-4670k + MSI Z87-G41 = $245 (in store bundle deal only) This will be hard to beat.

Corsair CX600M = $45, I recommend buying this now before the price goes back up.  I have the same PSU and it works terrific.

Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB RAM = $55, you will have a hard time finding better value/performance RAM.  It is also black, so will match your configuration.

Kingston V300 120GB SSD = $65, You are going to want to get an SSD when you first begin so that you can install your operating system on here and then you could add an HDD later.  But you will blow through 120GB fast, so I kept the HDD in my build for you.

Asus GTX 770 DC2OC = $309!!! That is an AMAZING price for this powerful of a card, it is usually $350.  It is also from one of the best brands, and has the best cooling out of all the 770s. Get this now!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3i46C

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3i46C/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3i46C/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Micro Center) <-- Bundle deal at Microcenter only

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($55.00) <-- Bundle deal at Microcenter only

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($65.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($309.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Apevia X-DREAMER4-GN ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Mwave) <-- Nicer, more expensive Black/Green case.  Find one that you like.

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($15.98 @ OutletPC) <-- you are going to need one of these in order to install all of your drivers that come with hardware.

Total: $850.72

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-28 16:04 EDT-0400)

So, after crunching numbers non stop for about a week, I finally decided on something. I love all the suggestions offered, I really really do, but in the end it was just too much money for my budget. All the parts lists that everyone here came up hit about the $850 mark but i needed it to be about that total POST taxes, and i every time i would check all those i would come up with about $970+ with the taxes factored in. I would have loved to build any of the systems recommended by you or @WoodenMarker but the budget just wasn't there. 

This is what I could ultimately afford. I went for a Z87 board, as instructed, in order to be able to upgrade to a K series processor later?(Correct me if im wrong) I did not skimp on the processor and still went with a Haswell.

I still went with a MSI GTX 760, since it was pretty cheap and also one of the best looking ones in my opinion.

The PSU... ah the PSU... I needed advice on this but I was too busy to come and do a post on the forums. I wanted to know if the PSU I got was sufficient? I honestly just kinda winged it, i didnt get too much and I ALMOST went with the 400 watt one but it felt wrong to do so. PLEASE let me know if its gonna be ok.

I got a relatively inexpensive 8Gb stick of ram. I know brand and ram didn't really matter and that the frequency should at least be 1600. What I did wonder was if a single stick would perform better or a dual channel kit would do better?

Stuck with the SSD since I KNOW I can add on a HDD within a short amount of time since they are getting to be pretty inexpensive.

The case is simply the design I wanted without the color, it was 30 dollars cheaper than the case I wanted so badly so I just took a dive on that one. 

Now the only thing I'm worried about it is drivers. I can install a copy of Windows from USB, I learned the hard way after two Hard Drive failures on a Dell Laptop, but what I'm wondering is how I can get to connect to the internet without the drivers for the LAN? (is it lan?)

I was thinking i could just download them from the AsRock website and out them in the flash drive and manually install through Windows device manager. That would work right?

Then getting drivers for the rest of the devices would simply be navigating to the sites for each device correct?

Thanks again for all your help. 

@Dante0217

I made some revisions that I think you will like.  First, I want you to stop reading this and buy that Corsair 500M right now!  It is a very good deal, and the deal expires tonight! GET THAT COMPONENT RIGHT NOW, then come back and read the rest.

I am going to switch you from Intel to AMD.  This way you will come in well under-budget, and get a more powerful computer than the one you have selected, because you can afford a better GPU.  The AMD isn't quite as good as Intel, but the difference is not much at all, you probably wont even notice it, and because of your budget, you will get much better all-around performance!  Going with an unlocked i5 and a Z87 makes no sense, it is highly unlikely that you would upgrade processors down the road, and by the time you did, your motherboard would be obsolete.

It is much, much better to buy 2x4GB sticks than 1x8GB, you get better performance plain and simple.  The RAM I selected is very good quality RAM, there is RAM that is $5 less expensive if you want it, it will perform the same.  Good idea to get an SSD first, it is a lot harder to transfer OS and important files onto an SSD later.  I am unsure of how installing an OS from a USB drive would work, sorry I cannot help there.  I went with a very, very good 6core AMD that is ready to be overclocked.  In certain builds, you could even go 8-core because the budget allows for it.  Please, please buy a less expensive case.  Since you are on a budget, it makes very little sense to spend close to $100 on a case that doesn't impact performance.  The case I selected is very nice, has everything you will need, everything will fit perfectly, and doesn't look too shabby all while costing much less.   Because you are going AMD instead of Intel, you can also afford a much better graphics card.  You could even get an R9 290 and still be $10 under budget.  I will post a couple builds for you to choose from.

The R9 290 Build.  This build will be a work in progress, but it gives you the absolute best possible video card that you can afford today, and will keep your computer useable much longer than the other builds.  You will still need an HDD and CPU cooler.  Another advantage to going with an ATI, is that the motherboard is crossfire capable.  So you could possibly go crossfire in a couple years if you wanted to--you will need a larger PSU for crossfire.  This motherboard is not SLI capable.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3nlYp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3nlYp/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3nlYp/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($67.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card  ($469.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($37.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $839.93
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-06 23:01 EDT-0400)

GTX 770 Build.  This build is ready to go from day one with no extras needed.  You will have everything you need, and while coming in $75 under-budget.  You could maybe buy some better case fans, but that is up to you.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3nmmc
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3nmmc/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3nmmc/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($67.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($37.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $774.89
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-06 23:10 EDT-0400)

8-Core and GTX 770 Build:  Because you have $75 left over, you could go with a stronger processor. 8 cores > 6 cores.  You could also buy a more expensive case if you like, but I think you will get better results with a cheap case, and buy nice fans separately and add them to the cheap case.  Also, cheap doesn't mean bad.  A case is a case, it holds everything and doesn't impact performance.  The only slight concern I have with going 8 core over 6 core is that it requires more power.  You will be ok with a 500W PSU, but if you want peace of mind, you could wait for the CX600M to go on sale again for $45-50.  Seems to go on sale often.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3nmoR
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3nmoR/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3nmoR/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($151.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $816.89
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-06 23:16 EDT-0400)

Best of luck, come back with any questions!  I really really recommend going AMD because the performance gains from a better graphics card will outweigh the 5-10% performance loss from your processor.  Also, going with AMD over Intel might actually be better in a few years, as games start to utilize multiple cores more effectively.  As of right now, Intel > AMD because most games prefer less, but stronger cores, but as we press onward, games are starting to enjoy the benefits of having more, weaker cores.

If you have already made some purchases, which it sounds like you may have, try and return them so that you can go AMD Processor, and stronger GPU.  No component impacts performance more than your graphics card.

@Faceman

I have bought the components I listed. I tried my best. I just noticed that today. The i5-4670k went on sale for $189.99($207.09 post taX)ON AMAZING. I think I might be able to squeeze something out of my piggy bank to make up the 35 dollar difference. I would take it out of the case but unfortunately it's in shipping and i cant do anything until it gets here. I might return it by then but I have a feeling that by then my mind will be like (F-it).

With all that aside. Do you think if I return the 4570 and get the 4670k the build would be much better suited?

With regards to your AMD builds, I would be much obliged to return most the parts and try to buy the AMD parts but tbh another reason it took me so long to come back and reply was because that my financial situation looked like it was going to take a dive the next couple months, so I made arrangements and that took a toll on my budget. So with that being said I took it upon myself and went ahead with buying all the parts. I DO live near a Micro center but alas that particular one was out of stock, but now that Amazon is offering it, I might just return that ONE product. But returning more products at this point seems like a bad idea. The budget has been spent and if that money comes back into my possession I can almost guarantee that this glorious thing we call life will throw me a curve ball and make me spend the budget on something else.

I did buy that PSU. It did feel like a good buy and I'm glad I caught it.

I HIGHLY APPRECIATE your concern and thank you for your consideration and giving me alternatives on how to build more on a budget. I do wish that I had a bit more leeway in the time frame I had to spend and plan but alas this has been all that I can do. I do ask you one last favor though: if you see any critical or potential problems in compatibility with the components I have purchased please let me know.

@Faceman

I have bought the components I listed. I tried my best. I just noticed that today. The i5-4670k went on sale for $189.99($207.09 post taX)ON AMAZING. I think I might be able to squeeze something out of my piggy bank to make up the 35 dollar difference. I would take it out of the case but unfortunately it's in shipping and i cant do anything until it gets here. I might return it by then but I have a feeling that by then my mind will be like (F-it).

With all that aside. Do you think if I return the 4570 and get the 4670k the build would be much better suited?

With regards to your AMD builds, I would be much obliged to return most the parts and try to buy the AMD parts but tbh another reason it took me so long to come back and reply was because that my financial situation looked like it was going to take a dive the next couple months, so I made arrangements and that took a toll on my budget. So with that being said I took it upon myself and went ahead with buying all the parts. I DO live near a Micro center but alas that particular one was out of stock, but now that Amazon is offering it, I might just return that ONE product. But returning more products at this point seems like a bad idea. The budget has been spent and if that money comes back into my possession I can almost guarantee that this glorious thing we call life will throw me a curve ball and make me spend the budget on something else.

I did buy that PSU. It did feel like a good buy and I'm glad I caught it.

I HIGHLY APPRECIATE your concern and thank you for your consideration and giving me alternatives on how to build more on a budget. I do wish that I had a bit more leeway in the time frame I had to spend and plan but alas this has been all that I can do. I do ask you one last favor though: if you see any critical or potential problems in compatibility with the components I have purchased please let me know.

I completely understand not wanting to return a load of products, it is just a hassle.  That being said, you absolutely need to return your 4670 and go for the 4670k.  Having a locked processor with a Z87 motherboard makes no sense.  Return the 4560 and get the 4560k.  Less of a hassle to return just 1 part instead of a lot of them.