AMD Build Based off "Ultimate Guide to Value Graphics Card Shopping"

Hello! I am new to the custom PC ecosystem and to PC gaming as well. I had been a die hard fan of console gaming for as long as I can remember. I noticed that consoles were very restricted and that graphics seemed inferior to what I thought was available. Then somebody introduced me to a PC game that I would have never ever tried on my own. I was hooked, and I wanted to play more and more. So I did, then I started to notice that something was missing. I was missing out on GRAPHICS. I didn't know about Frames Per Second simply because I was an avid Gamer on consoles but only to the extent of getting good at the game and joining small tournaments here and there, but now I understood what that small (but sometimes BIG) lag was on my screen when there was a lot of action on my screen. 

So to cut this story short. I've been watching A LOT of Linus Tech Tips videos and watching the build tutorials. I have ALWAYS had a passion for computers, not so much for gaming but for web browsing and as a work station. I always thought that pre-manufactured PC's was where the cutting edge technology was, but the deeper I get into my research the more it becomes clear that a custom rig is what is gonna meet MY needs.

So here I present to you a build I hope to be able to put together myself. 

I will treat this as my Project of the year and I would really like to run it in Crossfire (APU+R7)

TBH, the game that has me hell bent on building this PC is a bit of a weird one (League of Legends). Everywhere I look I see posts about how it might be Overkill for a game like that and what not but I really want to give me some room to play games like Titan Fall and Diablo (Series? Sorry, I'm UBER noob I know but I WANNA LEARN)

So for League of Legends I'm looking for a solid frame rate(60+) at the games heaviest point (teamfights etc.) with ALL settings maxed out and Anti Aliasing ON along with Vertical Sync ON @ 1080p; meaning that at all other times it could be at a higher rate.

Since I mentioned Titan Fall, I would LOVE to play it @ 1080p with at LEAST 40fps. 

I'm coming from running LOL on a Late 2011 Macbook Air with Intel HD 3000 graphics. I AVG about 50 fps running at the lowest resolution with all settings on low AA off and Vsync off. Its lame but I'm addicted.

The ABSOLUTE most i can spend at this time on this rig is $850. I know, its pocket change in this ecosystem but I am a Full Time Student and Full Time Employee so $ is tight. I do plan on upgrading parts like storage and graphics down the line but for now $850USD is something I can let go of to see if I truly like PC gaming. 

OTHER uses for this rig will be as a media center(ie. 1080p Streaming Videos and Music Center) and general school usage (ie. Term Papers, Web Browsing) for both my wife and I.

Not so sure how to or what over clocking is (NOOB again sorry!) but I think it could be something I would be willing to try considering that it seems to really flex the muscles of the components. 

Please be gentle, I tried my best to research on my own before posting but I would like some feedback before I take the dive!

Forgot to add what I am asking of the community!

My questions are: 

1. Will these components be good enough to fulfill my League of Legends desired FPS?
  2. Will these components be good enough to RUN Titan Fall?
  3. Will these components be good enough to run the latest Diablo? At about what frame rate?
  4. Can I get a significant performance boost with any other GPU without breaking $850USD? $900USD?
  5. Given these games that I wish to play, what would you add/replace/exclude? 
  6. What games would you recommend?
Edited by Dante0217

slightly over the budget but heres a better option, use the quote button if you want me to get back to you
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($129.00 @ Newegg)
Memory:  A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:  Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($69.29 @ Amazon)
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($57.26 @ Amazon)
Video Card:  PNY GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($239.99 @ Micro Center)
Case:  Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply:  Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $892.49
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-21 02:22 EDT-0400)

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

CPU:  AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($84.74 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-G1.Sniper A88X ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($105.98 @ SuperBiiz) 

Video Card:  PowerColor Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($327.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Case:  NZXT Phantom (Black/Green) ATX Full Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $892.98

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-21 02:23 EDT-0400)

this might be a better build as compared to the A10 build

if you watch the video, the Athlon X4 760K is the most best value per fps CPU you can get

you should take note that R7 260x and A10 cannot be run at dual graphics mode, only the R7 250 is the compatible GPU to pair with the A10 internal R7 graphics

so you better off using a single dedicated GPU instead.

some casing do look nice but it might be better to choose a roomy case over a design oriented casing but lack room for upgrades

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

1-4. Yes

5. Better: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3dFpU

6. Have you tried out Minecraft?

The 760K will bottleneck the 280x.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1-4. Yes

Why Intel?(Just a question, not trying to start a flame war) What are some key performance points in which the build you have recommended me will out perform the one i put together?

and is what dragoon said about not being able to run the A10 in dual graphics with the 260x true?

Why Intel?(Just a question, not trying to start a flame war) What are some key performance points in which the build you have recommended me will out perform the one i put together?

and is what dragoon said about not being able to run the A10 in dual graphics with the 260x true?

The 4440 has better single core and overall performance, and uses less power: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4440-vs-AMD-A10-7850K

The 760 is quite a decent chunk more powerful than the 260x. http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-260X-vs-GeForce-GTX-760

Only the 240 and 250 are officially supported for hybrid crossfire with the 7850K. Even if you could, the graphics card would have to slow down to match the apu and it would outperform the 250 on its own http://www.techspot.com/review/781-amd-a10-7850k-graphics-performance/page6.html

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The 4440 has better single core and overall performance, and uses less power: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4440-vs-AMD-A10-7850K

The 760 is quite a decent chunk more powerful than the 260x. http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-260X-vs-GeForce-GTX-760

Only the 240 and 250 are officially supported for hybrid crossfire with the 7850K. Even if you could, the graphics card would have to slow down to match the apu and it would outperform the 250 on its own http://www.techspot.com/review/781-amd-a10-7850k-graphics-performance/page6.html

all of WoodenMarker explanation are valid if you are comparing the performance of the A10 and 260X vs the i5 and GTX760

quote from Dante0217:

Not so sure how to or what over clocking is (NOOB again sorry!) but I think it could be something I would be willing to try considering that it seems to really flex the muscles of the components. 

There is a good reason why I choose the Athlon X4 760K coz the OP could try his hands on OC the CPU with the solid Gigabyte FM2+ G1 Sniper board and the hyper 212 Evo is also a nice air cooler to pair with the CPU.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

all of WoodenMarker explanation are valid if you are comparing the performance of the A10 and 260X vs the i5 and GTX760

quote from Dante0217:

There is a good reason why I choose the Athlon X4 760K coz the OP could try his hands on OC the CPU with the solid Gigabyte FM2+ G1 Sniper board and the hyper 212 Evo is also a nice air cooler to pair with the CPU.

So both of you are saying that the builds you have given me will perform at 60+ fps at its heaviest on LOL and at least 40 fps constantly on Diablo and or Titan fall? I know it's kinda of a vague question performance wise but those games are the ones (and maybe minecraft) will help me decide if I want to invest more money in the long run on pc gaming so I want to get a full experience of what a pc can do graphically wothout breaking the bank. That way when it comes down to lay down the big bucks in the future I can do so confidently without having to cry over losing some pretty cool console exclusives

So both of you are saying that the builds you have given me will perform at 60+ fps at its heaviest on LOL and at least 40 fps constantly on Diablo and or Titan fall? I know it's kinda of a vague question performance wise but those games are the ones (and maybe minecraft) will help me decide if I want to invest more money in the long run on pc gaming so I want to get a full experience of what a pc can do graphically wothout breaking the bank. That way when it comes down to lay down the big bucks in the future I can do so confidently without having to cry over losing some pretty cool console exclusives

It doesn't take much more than a polished toaster to max out League or Diablo at 60 fps. 

You should be able to max out Titanfall with CSAAx16 at 60 fps as well. 

You can check the video description for more info.

Titanfall, LoL and D3 will have no issues when play on the system builds we gave you 

only factor is the budget

and also which camp you want to support

but I would say both have their pros and cons

maybe you can also look at BF4 required system spec as a guideline too

1-4. Yes

Hey there, your toaster comment really made me laugh! I thank you for all your help and don't mean to doubt or disrespect your opinion, but if its not too much to ask would you mind going over your rationale for the component list you gave me, aside from the CPU. ie. Why A-data RAM? Why PNY? Why Micro-ATX? Why Rosewill? And the case?

Like I said, i don't mean to doubt ANYTHING you have said but I really really want to learn about this PC building stuff, its almost like if I'm 50% excited to build it and 50% excited to play the games on it. I also have family members who are long overdue for upgrades and i KNOW they will try to get me to build theirs if they see my rig came out well.

Titanfall, LoL and D3 will have no issues when play on the system builds we gave you 

only factor is the budget

and also which camp you want to support

but I would say both have their pros and cons

maybe you can also look at BF4 required system spec as a guideline too

So what do you think BF4 would be like in YOUR recommended build compared to WoodenMarker's? I played BF3 on my Xbox 360 and I absolutely loved it! The thing I didnt love? The lag it gave me when i would run through smoke or fire, or the SLOW loading environment that started to happen after the second or third Rush match. One thing that definitely concerned me was that on certain maps, during extended game play, my Xbox would just stop running the game. I would be force to reset and restart the game only to have it happen again except sooner. 

SO with that being said what would BF4 look like on your rig? What could you tell me about his proposed rig as well? 

Hey there, your toaster comment really made me laugh! I thank you for all your help and don't mean to doubt or disrespect your opinion, but if its not too much to ask would you mind going over your rationale for the component list you gave me, aside from the CPU. ie. Why A-data RAM? Why PNY? Why Micro-ATX? Why Rosewill? And the case?

Like I said, i don't mean to doubt ANYTHING you have said but I really really want to learn about this PC building stuff, its almost like if I'm 50% excited to build it and 50% excited to play the games on it. I also have family members who are long overdue for upgrades and i KNOW they will try to get me to build theirs if they see my rig came out well.

Brand of ram doesn't really matter. Any 8gb ddr3 ram kit would have been fine. The brand of graphics card doesn't really matter since they're all pretty similar. Matx is the cheapest medium between atx that's more expensive due to features and itx that's expensive for the lower popularity compared to atx or matx. The Rosewill capstone is a great psu that's semi modular and also one of the cheaper available options that would sufficiently power your system. The n200 is just a great case. Check out hardwarecannucks and Linus' unboxing and overview:

Brand of ram doesn't really matter. Any 8gb ddr3 ram kit would have been fine. The brand of graphics card doesn't really matter since they're all pretty similar. Matx is the cheapest medium between atx that's more expensive due to features and itx that's expensive for the lower popularity compared to atx or matx. The Rosewill capstone is a great psu that's semi modular and also one of the cheaper available options that would sufficiently power your system. The n200 is just a great case. Check out hardwarecannucks and Linus' unboxing and overview:

You have been beyond helpful. I have two last questions for you which I posted on this thread but did not quote you in it. BF4, will your recommendation play it at 1080p at a good 40-60 fps at its heavy points with at least medium details? Recording, will i be able to record my gameplay (mainly from league) with your rig rec? i know that i never mentioned it before but dragoon brought BF4 up. 

TBH your build recommendation is what I'm going to go with seeing as how this Macbook Air just isn't cutting it for my needs anymore (not that it ever was), so BF4 not being playable is not going to be a deal breaker.

I want to thank you for your welcoming attitude, you are an EXCELLENT moderator and your quick and informative sourced replies have been some of the most useful things in my research. 

OH! and are we going stock cooler and case fans for cooling?

You have been beyond helpful. I have two last questions for you which I posted on this thread but did not quote you in it. BF4, will your recommendation play it at 1080p at a good 40-60 fps at its heavy points with at least medium details? Recording, will i be able to record my gameplay (mainly from league) with your rig rec? i know that i never mentioned it before but dragoon brought BF4 up.

TBH your build recommendation is what I'm going to go with seeing as how this Macbook Air just isn't cutting it for my needs anymore (not that it ever was), so BF4 not being playable is not going to be a deal breaker.

I want to thank you for your welcoming attitude, you are an EXCELLENT moderator and your quick and informative sourced replies have been some of the most useful things in my research.

OH! and are we going stock cooler and case fans for cooling?

You'll be fine playing it on ultra at 60 fps.

Check the video description of videos like these for more info regarding their setup and settings.

You can find many other videos like this by searching 'bf4 760' or any other gpu + game on YouTube in the future. You can easily stream our record from league using shadowplay but even less efficient methods like fraps and such should'nt be an issue.

Glad to be of help.

The stock fans are fine. If you want with a graphics card that produced more heat, I'd go with an extra fan to replace the exhaust and moving the exhaust fan to the front for intake but that is not the case.

Here's something a little more different, I'd take it over WoodenMarker's if overclocking and upgrades are a concern. For me, they are, but it's entirely up to what you want to do.

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard:  ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($107.86 @ Newegg) 
Storage:  Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($249.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case:  Inwin GT1 Black ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $852.79
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-21 12:17 EDT-0400)

Another slightly more special feature is that it's themed a basic black and red. It's far from necessary, but it didn't hurt the build functionality wise. You can easily cut the SSD back down if you want it cheaper, but 120GB isn't enough for me. Personal tastes, really.

Performance wise, it's similar, the only difference being the larger SSD. The key advantages are upgrades and overclocks if they're a concern to you, if not, stick with WM's build.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Here's something a little more different, I'd take it over WoodenMarker's if overclocking and upgrades are a concern. For me, they are, but it's entirely up to what you want to do.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($107.86 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Micro Center)

Case: Inwin GT1 Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B BRONZE 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $852.79

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-21 12:17 EDT-0400)

Another slightly more special feature is that it's themed a basic black and red. It's far from necessary, but it didn't hurt the build functionality wise. You can easily cut the SSD back down if you want it cheaper, but 120GB isn't enough for me. Personal tastes, really.

Performance wise, it's similar, the only difference being the larger SSD. The key advantages are upgrades and overclocks if they're a concern to you, if not, stick with WM's build.

What kind of upgrades are we talking about here? If say I could spend another $400 in about 6-8 months? Given that peripherals are not a concern

What kind of upgrades are we talking about here? If say I could spend another $400 in about 6-8 months? Given that peripherals are not a concern

You could upgrade from the i5-4440 to an unlocked Haswell processor if you need the extra power or want to overclock. Unfortunately, Broadwell wouldn't be compatible with the board, so the upgrades are narrow unless you would like to wait for the 9-series chipsets.

However, since the i5-4440 is still a relatively good gaming processor, you could replace the GPU without an issue, or put it into SLI instead.

You could upgrade from the i5-4440 to an unlocked Haswell processor if you need the extra power or want to overclock. Unfortunately, Broadwell wouldn't be compatible with the board, so the upgrades are narrow unless you would like to wait for the 9-series chipsets.

However, since the i5-4440 is still a relatively good gaming processor, you could replace the GPU without an issue, or put it into SLI instead.

I see that in your build the motherboard is almost 3x the price of WoodenMarkers motherboard. I assume that is where the upgrades would be coming from down the line? Im pretty noob at this so your first 2 sentences made a little sense but was quickly lost. 

I see that in your build the motherboard is almost 3x the price of WoodenMarkers motherboard. I assume that is where the upgrades would be coming from down the line? Im pretty noob at this so your first 2 sentences made a little sense but was quickly lost.

The motherboard I picked out is an H87 chip set motherboard, it can overclock if you decide to pick an unlocked processor (k series processor, better for overclock) later on. However, the next generation of Intel (presumably i5-5xxx etc.) would not work on this board, since the new gen would need a 9 series chip set (e.g. H97) which isn't yet available.

Reconsidering, I'd downgrade the board and pick up an i5-4670. The performance upgrade is minimal, but if you don't think you'll overclock, I'd get the better locked processor (non-k) for only $20 or so more. The 4670 should last anyway, since an i5-2500k is still suitable for gaming.

WoodenMarker's build is nicer if you don't expect to replace the GPU any time soon. I included it just so you could replace it or upgrade it if you want. Performance wise, the build is identical to mine, I just have a bigger PSU, aesthetically nicer rig (my opinion), and bigger SSD (always a plus).

So what do you think BF4 would be like in YOUR recommended build compared to WoodenMarker's? I played BF3 on my Xbox 360 and I absolutely loved it! The thing I didnt love? The lag it gave me when i would run through smoke or fire, or the SLOW loading environment that started to happen after the second or third Rush match. One thing that definitely concerned me was that on certain maps, during extended game play, my Xbox would just stop running the game. I would be force to reset and restart the game only to have it happen again except sooner. 

SO with that being said what would BF4 look like on your rig? What could you tell me about his proposed rig as well? 

as mentioned before both intel and AMD system have their pro and cons,

think for example nVidia with it Shadowplay for streaming and recording and G-Sync to reduce stutter 

for AMD side it will be Mantle which is supported in BF4 and the idea of the API is to reduce the CPU load and transfer all the load to the GPU for better framerate and also has a similar program coming soon called Free-Sync which also reduce stutter in games which you are getting on your Xbox 360

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOlG_4rUwGo

if you google about the R9 280X GPU its a refreshed version of the Radeon HD7970 which is one of the previous gen flagship GPU from AMD

but the GTX 760 is equally a decent GPU from nVidia side and if you budget allows you may consider GTX 770 too but the cost will go up

if you do a bit of OC on the 760K CPU you should be able to get up to 4.5GHz just on a good air cooler like the CoolerMaster unit

like WoodenMaker said RAM brand dont really matter unless you want good looking RAM performance difference from brand to brand is almost zero

if you dont mind a smaller casing like WoodenMaker suggestion of the N200 is also good and I can swap the motherboard to a much cheaper micro ATX board from MSI

slightly over the budget but heres a better option, use the quote button if you want me to get back to you

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($129.00 @ Newegg)

Memory:  A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($61.99 @ Newegg)

Storage:  Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($69.29 @ Amazon)

Storage:  Seagate Barracuda ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($57.26 @ Amazon)

Video Card:  PNY GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($239.99 @ Micro Center)

Case:  Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply:  Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ Micro Center)

Total: $892.49

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-21 02:22 EDT-0400)

I also recommend this build tho. HAHAHAHA

please consider this. HAHAHA

Equality doesn't mean Justice.

for AMD side it will be Mantle which is supported in BF4 and the idea of the API is to reduce the CPU load and transfer all the load to the GPU for better framerate and also has a similar program coming soon called Free-Sync which also reduce stutter in games which you are getting on your Xbox 360

DirectX12 will be replacing Mantle in no time. Mantle seems like it was just a message to Microsoft about DirectX11 being terrible.

Free-Sync is an imaginary thing that AMD fans like pulling to compare to G-Sync, when the truth and reality is that it isn't designed for computers like people think it is, it's designed for power saving on laptops, and offers a different method of reducing stutter that G-Sync is superior too (AMD changes the refresh rate via monitor side, dictated by the monitor. Nvidia forces the monitor to wait to refresh until the GPU outputs a new frame, dictated by the GPU). If it were really as impressive as it was, Nvidia would have done something to better G-Sync, and they haven't, because it isn't rivaled. AMD didn't announce it either, which makes no sense for such a revolutionary technology. They would have, and they would have done so in full force since it would really help blow Nvidia out of the water. None of Free-Sync makes sense marketing wise, and even as far as technology wise. A laptop works with monitors differently than a computer does.

Honestly, I normally pick Nvidia for all builds. I will continue doing so until the mining craze dies. I would love AMD, because the 290 is the equivalent to a featureless GTX 780 at a much lower MSRP, but the inflated prices kill it.

DirectX12 will be replacing Mantle in no time. Mantle seems like it was just a message to Microsoft about DirectX11 being terrible.

Free-Sync is an imaginary thing that AMD fans like pulling to compare to G-Sync, when the truth and reality is that it isn't designed for computers like people think it is, it's designed for power saving on laptops, and offers a different method of reducing stutter that G-Sync is superior too (AMD changes the refresh rate via monitor side, dictated by the monitor. Nvidia forces the monitor to wait to refresh until the GPU outputs a new frame, dictated by the GPU). If it were really as impressive as it was, Nvidia would have done something to better G-Sync, and they haven't, because it isn't rivaled. AMD didn't announce it either, which makes no sense for such a revolutionary technology. They would have, and they would have done so in full force since it would really help blow Nvidia out of the water. None of Free-Sync makes sense marketing wise, and even as far as technology wise. A laptop works with monitors differently than a computer does.

Honestly, I normally pick Nvidia for all builds. I will continue doing so until the mining craze dies. I would love AMD, because the 290 is the equivalent to a featureless GTX 780 at a much lower MSRP, but the inflated prices kill it.

ok fair enough now with the crazy prices of the AMD cards coz of coin mining, the GTX seems to be a better buy here

actually both technologies from nVidia and AMD are really just started mantle isnt really what ppl expected and so is G-Sync

i would say give it 1 year or so and things may pick up and hopefully prices of AMD card will drop when the craze is over