CPU Overclocking

Hi so i would like help with over clocking my cpu to 5Ghz or close to it anyway, currently the best i've had it is 4.4ghz but i experienced a system restart after an hour the voltage was at 1.365v i think, i will list specs below.

it is watercooled by a 240mm aio

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @4.0Ghz (Currently)

Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX

Ram: (i forgot brand) 16GB 3200Mhz 18-20-20-38

GPU: Msi GTX 1650 ITX Aero OC 4gb (Roughly 81w at full load according to Nvidia Preformance overlay)

GPU2: (NOT IN USE BUT IS PLUGGED IN) Gainwood GTX 680 4gb Phantom

PSU: (again forgot brand) 550w 80+ gold or silver?

Speccy64_YWR2K8kNOy.png.786ca73a25d11c8ecc5994ac009f5c7a.png

6 minutes ago, Laykonlee said:

Hi so i would like help with over clocking my cpu to 5Ghz or close to it anyway, currently the best i've had it is 4.4ghz but i experienced a system restart after an hour the voltage was at 1.365v i think, i will list specs below.

it is watercooled by a 240mm aio

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @4.0Ghz (Currently)

Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX

Ram: (i forgot brand) 16GB 3200Mhz 18-20-20-38

GPU: Msi GTX 1650 ITX Aero OC 4gb (Roughly 81w at full load according to Nvidia Preformance overlay)

GPU2: (NOT IN USE BUT IS PLUGGED IN) Gainwood GTX 680 4gb Phantom

PSU: (again forgot brand) 550w 80+ gold or silver?

Honestly, I don't think that you will be able to overclock the 2600 more than 4.2-4.3GHz all core, let alone reach 5GHz with a 240mm AIO. The R5 2600 generally tops out about the 4.2GHz mark with few being able to achieve 4.3GHz. For 4.4GHz you will need more voltage, about 1.41V and a proper custom loop in order to cool it; for 5GHz you will need LN2. 

When overclocking make sure you test your system for stability. Being able to boot into windows after dialing up settings in the BIOS doesn't mean anything. Use Prime95 or Linpack Xtreme to test for stability. Running one of these stress test for about 8-12h would be best. Also keep a close eye on your temperatures. You can do so with HW Monitor. I personally wouldn't want that processor to exceed 85C under full load.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

3 minutes ago, Analog said:

Honestly, I don't think that you will be able to overclock the 2600 more than 4.2-4.3GHz all core, let alone reach 5GHz with a 240mm AIO. The R5 2600 generally tops out about the 4.2GHz mark with few being able to achieve 4.3GHz. For 4.4GHz you will need more voltage, about 1.41V and a proper custom loop in order to cool it; for 5GHz you will need LN2. 

When overclocking make sure you test your system for stability. Being able to boot into windows after dialing up settings in the BIOS doesn't mean anything. Use Prime95 or Linpack Xtreme to test for stability. Running one of these stress test for about 8-12h would be best. Also keep a close eye on your temperatures. You can do so with HW Monitor. I personally wouldn't want that processor to exceed 85C under full load.  

fair enough, thank you, i just wanted to know if it was possible, i dont "need" anything more than 3ghz on my cpu anyway due to my GPu spec

Edit: usually my gpu tops out when my cpu is ~60% on 3.9ghz

I'd guess the chances getting a Ryzen 2600 to 5GHz is slim to none.  4.2GHz would probably be about it.