Can't load into BIOS but can load into Windows - ASUS Prime X570-P

davidcole1340
Go to solution Solved by davidcole1340,

After reinstalling my storage drives I can still access the BIOS, so I'm not sure what has happened. Thank you everyone for their help however 🙂

Hello all,

I've got an ASUS PRIME X570-P motherboard with a Ryzen 5 3600 and a GTX 1070, I've been trying to boot into the BIOS to change some settings but whenever I press F2/DEL, it goes to a black screen and simply sits there, but when I load into Windows regularly it loads fine.

I will note that sometimes it does take a while to load into Windows, sometimes it sits at the pre-bios screen for a good 10-15 seconds, but I haven't investigated further.

Would anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

Edit: I've tried removing the CMOS battery and it says that it POSTed in safe mode afterwards, but loading into BIOS after that leads to the same issue. Voltage on the CMOS battery was around 3.3 volts (which I found odd as the battery type was supposed to hold 3V?)

Thank you in advance

David

Edited by davidcole1340
Added more information

Feels like the bios chip on your motherboard has shorted. or corrupted. But this isn't anything I have seen on this forum before.

13 minutes ago, Sahat said:

Feels like the bios chip on your motherboard has shorted. or corrupted. But this isn't anything I have seen on this forum before.

Computer wouldn't boot if that was the case 🤦‍♂️

You can try to enter the BIOS using the "Advanced startup" in Windows, but my most likely guess is that your monitor somehow doesn't support the resolution used in the BIOS.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Computer wouldn't boot if that was the case 🤦‍♂️

You can try to enter the BIOS using the "Advanced startup" in Windows, but my most likely guess is that your monitor somehow doesn't support the resolution used in the BIOS.

Thank you, I tried booting to UEFI with Windows recovery but same problem, also gave it a go with another monitor but same problem as well. Monitor doesn't complain about no signal either.

20 minutes ago, davidcole1340 said:

Thank you, I tried booting to UEFI with Windows recovery but same problem, also gave it a go with another monitor but same problem as well. Monitor doesn't complain about no signal either.

Turn off the system and unplug it from the power outlet. Take out the CMOS battery for a minute or two. Put the battery back in and then power on the computer. Should stop at the American Megatrends logo and be prompted to press F1 to enter setup, which will lead you to the BIOS. Once in the BIOs you can disable "Fast Boot." This will give you more time to press F2 ot Delete in order to enter into the BIOS next time. Also a good idea to do a BIOS update. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

8 hours ago, Analog said:

Turn off the system and unplug it from the power outlet. Take out the CMOS battery for a minute or two. Put the battery back in and then power on the computer. Should stop at the American Megatrends logo and be prompted to press F1 to enter setup, which will lead you to the BIOS. Once in the BIOs you can disable "Fast Boot." This will give you more time to press F2 ot Delete in order to enter into the BIOS next time. Also a good idea to do a BIOS update. 

Thank you, Already gave that a go and I manage to get to the American Megatrends screen which says I am in BIOS safe mode and then pushing F1 leads to the same black page.

After unplugging all drives, I seem to be able to boot into the BIOS. Would any one have any idea why I can't load the BIOS with a storage drive plugged in?

16 minutes ago, davidcole1340 said:

After unplugging all drives, I seem to be able to boot into the BIOS. Would any one have any idea why I can't load the BIOS with a storage drive plugged in?

Turn off fastboot it could be that it is skipping the bios screen to get into windows faster.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

After reinstalling my storage drives I can still access the BIOS, so I'm not sure what has happened. Thank you everyone for their help however 🙂