3600 OVERCLOCK LIMIT? "Is there a clock speed i should stop at regardless of the test still passing?" 

Hi There,

Ive just finished my first build and currently overclocking my 3600 with ryzen master. I am currently at 4.6Ghz, Voltage is set at 1.375Volts and I am moving up at 50Mhz increments while the temperature isn't going above 65 degrees celcius. 

Is there a clock speed i should stop at regardless of the test still passing? 

Thank you in advance, 

My specs are;

MSI B450M MORTAR MAX

Ryzen 5 3600

Nvidia RTX 3070 MSI Gaming Trio

Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3600 DDR4

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edt

Corsair 650M

Samsung evoPlus 500GB 

8 x 120mm fans (mix of Cooler Master, Corsair and Llian Li)

Cooler Master NR400 

1783295590_PCBUILD.jpg

6 hours ago, Cliche said:

Voltage is set at 1.375Volts

Have fun with a dying CPU then 😕
Attempting to overclock 3600 is pointless, and I heavily doubt you're stable at that 4.6GHz regardless.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 3:48 PM, Cliche said:

Hi There,

Ive just finished my first build and currently overclocking my 3600 with ryzen master. I am currently at 4.6Ghz, Voltage is set at 1.375Volts and I am moving up at 50Mhz increments while the temperature isn't going above 65 degrees celcius. 

Is there a clock speed i should stop at regardless of the test still passing? 

Thank you in advance, 

My specs are;

MSI B450M MORTAR MAX

Ryzen 5 3600

Nvidia RTX 3070 MSI Gaming Trio

Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3600 DDR4

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edt

Corsair 650M

Samsung evoPlus 500GB 

8 x 120mm fans (mix of Cooler Master, Corsair and Llian Li)

Cooler Master NR400 

1783295590_PCBUILD.jpg

Most overclocking tests aren't very stringent about errors from what I understand.  Rather than manually overclocking your 3600, just use the Clock Tuner for Ryzen (CTR) by 1usmus.  Let his automatic overclocks work their magic, then use OCCT to test the quality of the overclock.  If you're getting AVX errors up the whazoo, I wouldn't personally trust it; lower the ccx clocks until it's stable. One error maybe every hour is acceptable, but you'll know it's unstable because the errors quickly skyrocket.  You can play around with the voltage and such in CTR until you get something stable.  While it might be passing SSE tests, if the whole of what the CPU can do is unstable, then it's not worth it imo.  OCCT also has memory, GPU and GPU memory tests, which I found helpful while using EVGA Precision X1 (never OC'd my memory since I'm happy with my DOCP profile).  The other benefit of using CTR is that it can also establish an undervolt, which will still give a slight boost over stock while using less power.

All that being said, once you find what you think is a stable overclock, you'll want to run something like OCCT for a few hours to really check its stability.  This will also mean keeping an eye on your temperatures.  I've no idea how your fans are currently controlled, but I use Argus Monitor to keep my temps under control.  Even with tweaking the fan curves in BIOS, I still didn't get satisfactory temp to noise ratios, especially since at least my mobo only controls fans by CPU temp.  I paid extra for Noctuas, so I knew it wasn't the fans lol.

Then again...you can just enabled Precision Boost in the BIOS and let your mobo take care of it.  The 3600 is definitely capable of an OC, but your OC sounds quite aggressive.  Also, other than the fun of playing around with your gear, overclocking the 3600 isn't really worth too much.  Sure, you can OC to get performance close to the 3600X, but you're never going to get single core performance of higher quality silicon like its high end binned big brothers from AMD and Intel.

If your interested in my OC, I have a Silver Sample, according to CTR, and my normal OC is VID 1286, CCX1 4300, CCX2 4325.  My underclock is VID 1175, CCX1 4150, CCX2 4175.  Those were the best results I could get from hours and hours of fiddling with this crap lol.  NGL, it was fun tho.

On 1/20/2021 at 7:41 AM, Elisis said:

Have fun with a dying CPU then 😕
Attempting to overclock 3600 is pointless, and I heavily doubt you're stable at that 4.6GHz regardless.

wait what's wrong with 1.375 v? 

is it because it's constant? 

because Max save volts 1.5 according to AMD and precisely where my 3600 apparently has its limit... it's usually around 1v tho. 

But yeah, I agree OC this chip seems pointless, tech jesus said so...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity