Facebook is looking to vibrate the screen door out of VR

rcmaehl

Summary

Facebook and Oculus are looking into rapidly shifting displays to blur pixels together to allow the screen door effect to be removed from even low end VR headsets.

Media

mechanical-sde-reduction-pixel-shifting-modes-640x334.png

mechanical-sde-reduction-exploded.jpg

Quotes

Facebook Reality Labs and the University of Arizona published new work exploring the use of high-speed...display shifting to reduce the... screen-door-effect (SDE) of immersive displays. SDE is caused by unlit spaces between pixels leading to the immersion-reducing appearance of a ‘screen door’ between the viewer and the virtual world. The researchers experiment with rapidly and minutely shifting the entire display to cause the display’s pixels to fill in the gaps. SDE has been one the leading visual artifacts in modern VR headsets since the introduction of the Rift. Some headsets choose a smaller field of view which reduces the apparent visibility of SDE. Other headsets use a diffuser film on the display to help blend the light from the pixels into the unlit spaces between them. Another proposal is to rapidly and minutely shift the display such that nearby pixels fill in the unlit gaps. It’s been demonstrated with other display technologies that moving a point of light...quickly enough can create the appearance of a stable image. The researchers designed a...platform with two... actuators which... shift the display in a circular motion at 120Hz. The researchers call this circular path ‘Non-redundancy’ mode. They also smartly utilized a 480Hz display which allowed them to experiment with a more complex pixel shifting path which they called ‘Redundancy’ mode. This approach aimed to not only fill in the gaps between the pixels with some additional overlap, but split the displayed frame into four sub-frames which are each uniquely shifted and displayed to account for the pixel movement. The ‘Non-redundancy’ mode clearly reduced the SDE while apparently retaining equal sharpness. Impressively, the ‘Redundancy’ mode not only reduced SDE, but even appears to noticeably sharpen the image. While the brute force approach of defeating SDE with ultra high pixel density displays will likely come to fruition, a mechanical approach to SDE reduction could allow headset makers to ‘get more for less’.

My thoughts

I'm not surprised to see this technology implemented in VR headsets, it's been used in projectors for a few years now (and even mentioned in one of the latest LTT videos). Regardless, it'll be an interesting balancing act as the g-forces of the display shifting will need to be counteracted.... or at least marketed as a non-optional face massager. We may see even cheaper VR headsets in the future using low res displays but using this tech to have good clarity, or resolution, without a high pixel resolution.

Sources

Road to VR (quote source)

Facebook Research

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

4 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

as the g-forces of the display shifting will need to be counteracted

Should be very similar to cameras with pixel-shifting. After all you hold those up to your eyes too and I have never heard anyone complain about vibrations or something similar.

Full frame sensors and VR displays should even be of similar size and weight.

13 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Should be very similar to cameras with pixel-shifting. After all you hold those up to your eyes too and I have never heard anyone complain about vibrations or something similar.

Full frame sensors and VR displays should even be of similar size and weight.

I thought pixel shift cameras used natural vibrations from the shooter, wind, et al for this, not motors?

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

5 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

I thought pixel shift cameras used natural vibrations from the shooter, wind, etc for this, not motors?

I can't imagine that. Afaik they shift the sensor one pixel in each direction and take 4 individual photos while doing so. They need to control the movement somehow, so I'd imagine there's a mechanism there to control it. The natural movement of the shooter might not move the sensor in the desired direction.

Is this proposed to be attached to the LCD panel itself, or a mirror? Given that LCD panels are sandwiched together, wouldn't all that high-frequency vibration shorten the life of them?

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

Is this proposed to be attached to the LCD panel itself, or a mirror? Given that LCD panels are sandwiched together, wouldn't all that high-frequency vibration shorten the life of them?

I believe the panel itself:

mechanical-sde-reduction-platform-640x360.jpg

Ugm FB things aside, for VR I'd expect 120Hz OLED 4K minimum still need good res and rr too.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I'm barely even noticing any "screen door" on my Quest 2, if anything, it looks great to me. Wouldn't this be moot as we increase the resolution?

I guess this could enable lower res VR... But I'm not sure how I would feel about blurred vibrating screen right in front of my eyes. Fully expect to feel sick.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

29 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I'm barely even noticing any "screen door" on my Quest 2, if anything, it looks great to me.

Same here. I'm honestly surprised by how good the display on it looks. It's way better than my friend's Vive, which makes everything look kinda pixelated.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

3 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Same here. I'm honestly surprised by how good the display on it looks. It's way better than my friend's Vive, which makes everything look kinda pixelated.

I suppose it might be cheaper than making good lenses. 😕  Because its half the panel makeup, half how the lens itself blurs the image that reduces SDE.

For example PSVR works remarkably well considering its resolution.  Ultimately I don't see how making the image more blurry is going to feel better, like 4K TVs what makes things feel seamless is the resolution and frame rate.

Forza Horizon 4 feels better at 120fps, but it looks more realistic at 4K.  You really need the combination of resolution and frame rate and VR even moreso.  (except you also have field of view there too)

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

19 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

I thought pixel shift cameras used natural vibrations from the shooter, wind, et al for this, not motors?

Why does this give me the image of someone in nature with a chonky DLSR, taking a photo and then violently shaking the camera?

hey this is pretty much MECHANICAL ANTI-ALIASING. they could probably just turn-off anti-aliasing to get some extra FPS and rely on this too.