Need reccomendations on replacing case fans, which fans to get, and on CPU cooler.

Joseph K

It's 3 topics but I didn't want to make 3 threads for it. I have a Phanteks P400A and have been using that with stock fans in stock configuration for almost a month now, and it is clear that they aren't cutting it for case airflow. My CPU (5600X) has also been reaching 80C regularly with the stock cooler so obviously I need to replace that. I probably want an air cooler because I've never installed an AIO and they look like a pain to install, but I also care a lot about noise. Also worth mentioning that neither the stock Phanteks case fans or my stock CPU cooler have speed control which sucks because I can't leave my computer running while I sleep they are far too loud. My 3 questions are: Should I get fans to supplement my stock case fans or just outright replace them, they're quite loud and I'm wondering if they are even going to do much if I have good fans in my case. What case fans should I get, how many, and how should I configure them? And what CPU cooler should I get?

Thanks.

If all that matters is raw performance, Go noctua for your cooler. If you want some good looks as well, look into a dark rock or dark rock pro from be quiet!. As for case fans it depends on your budget and weather you want RGB. Let me know and I will reccomend some

It really depends on what your price range is. For the cooler, a Noctua NH-U12S is a great one that should cool it just fine. It's pretty darn quiet and is a pretty good match for the 5600x. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It really depends on what your price range is. For the cooler, a Noctua NH-U12S is a great one that should cool it just fine. It's pretty darn quiet and is a pretty good match for the 5600x. 

Flexible budget. looking to spend about 50-100 CAD on CPU cooler, honestly don't really know for the fans.

1 hour ago, Hay_bale said:

If all that matters is raw performance, Go noctua for your cooler. If you want some good looks as well, look into a dark rock or dark rock pro from be quiet!. As for case fans it depends on your budget and weather you want RGB. Let me know and I will reccomend some

I tried getting Dark Rock Pro 4 but pretty much nobody sells them in Canada and last I checked everything Be Quiet was sold out at the like 2 retailers that stock them.😞

3 minutes ago, Joseph K said:

Flexible budget. looking to spend about 50-100 CAD on CPU cooler, honestly don't really know for the fans.

I tried getting Dark Rock Pro 4 but pretty much nobody sells them in Canada and last I checked everything Be Quiet was sold out at the like 2 retailers that stock them.😞

I would say 4 fans, 3 in the front 1 in the back, would be the best setup. It really depends on what you want to spend. If you want a really quiet computer and can afford to spend $20-30 canadian per fan (I think, haven't really had to deal with canadian fan prices ever), get 4 Noctua 120mm fans. If you want to save some money, you can get something like Corsair AF120s for cheaper.

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I would say 4 fans, 3 in the front 1 in the back, would be the best setup. It really depends on what you want to spend. If you want a really quiet computer and can afford to spend $20-30 canadian per fan (I think, haven't really had to deal with canadian fan prices ever), get 4 Noctua 120mm fans. If you want to save some money, you can get something like Corsair AF120s for cheaper.

I was looking at the AF120s because the 3 pack is quite affordable, but I want to limit the amount of RGB in my build because it is distracting. I already have an RGB motherboard and GPU and the GPU is very bright and distracting.

Just now, Joseph K said:

I was looking at the AF120s because the 3 pack is quite affordable, but I want to limit the amount of RGB in my build because it is distracting. I already have an RGB motherboard and GPU and the GPU is very bright and distracting.

You can always just turn the LEDs off. I do know they make nonRGB versions of those fans, so you might just go with those.

You can easily control those Phanteks fans from bios. Just dont try to use pwm to control those, use dc.

Something like Deepcool Gammaxx 440 or Id-cooling se-224-xt basic(about 30dollars each) are both plenty for a 5600x. You really dont need to spend that much on a cooler for a low wattage cpu.

4 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

You can easily control those Phanteks fans from bios. Just dont try to use pwm to control those, use dc.

Something like Deepcool Gammaxx 440 or Id-cooling se-224-xt basic(about 30dollars each) are both plenty for a 5600x. You really dont need to spend that much on a cooler for a low wattage cpu.

But I want them to automatically ramp up and down, is that possible from BIOS?

16 hours ago, Joseph K said:

But I want them to automatically ramp up and down, is that possible from BIOS?

Yes.