How much can i overclock my Ram?

Hello, i’m using a Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8 gb. But the problem is its the 2666 mhz one and my cpu is the Ryzen 7 3700x with the Gtx 1070 Rog Strix. I heard that amd processors need fast ram so i’m thinking to overclock it rather than buying new ones. I’m hoping to get to 3000 mhz or 3200 mhz if possible, i was just wondering whats the max speed to oc it. Im using the Asus Rog b550-f gaming. Thanks 

Nobody can guess that. Try and see how high you can push it.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

8 minutes ago, Awomen said:

Hello, i’m using a Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8 gb. But the problem is its the 2666 mhz one and my cpu is the Ryzen 7 3700x with the Gtx 1070 Rog Strix. I heard that amd processors need fast ram so i’m thinking to overclock it rather than buying new ones. I’m hoping to get to 3000 mhz or 3200 mhz if possible, i was just wondering whats the max speed to oc it. Im using the Asus Rog b550-f gaming. Thanks 

There is no such thing as max speed for OC. Basically you continue bumping up the frequency until it doesn't go any higher. Still, the sweetsop is 3800MHz, if you can get the infinity fabric to clock to 1900. Otherwise, aim at 3600MHz. At that point the infinity fabric will be running at 1800MHz. The important thing is to keep memory frequency and FCLK in 1:1 ratio for best performance. 

I am also using memory that is stock 2666MHz JEDEC, but I managed to clock it considerably higher. For memory stability testing, I highly recommend Linpack Extreme: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/linpack-xtreme/ 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

1 hour ago, Awomen said:

Okay i see! Thanks for the help 🙂

If you are absolutely new to memory overclocking, there are some basics that you need to know, otherwise a "generic" memory overclocking guide that you will see in youtube will not be of much help. 

DDR stands for double data rate. Therefore, your 2666MHz kit, for example, will show 1333MHz. Now, Ryzen has something called infinity fabric (FCLK). At stock it is supposed to run at 1800MHz. This can be problematic if your memory kit is like in your case 1333MHz, as Ryzen performs best when the FCLK and memory are in a so called 1:1 ratio or otherwise said they run at the same frequency. However, if the FCLK is left "auto," in the BIOS it will probably sync with the memory and run at a lower frequency in order to keep that 1:1 ratio. Even if you do not do any RAM overclocking it is best to actually set the FCLK value in the BIOS to be 1800MHz even if the ratio is no longer the same, as keep it 1:1 in that case might actually be detrimental to performance. I personally would leave it at 1800MHz for any RAM speed beneath 3200MHz. 

When it comes to memory it is important to keep in mind that no all memory behaves the same way. It all depends on the actual memory chips that are on the dimms (Crucial, Hynix or Samsung). Therefore, before you start overclocking you will need to find out what is on your particular kit. This will make it a lot easier when you are looking for DDR4 memory overclocking guides online. You can see all of the important information about your memory with CPU Z  https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html in the memory section or better yet with Thaiphoon Burner http://www.softnology.biz/ . 

As the FCLK depends on the memory controller on your processor, and keeping a stable overclock might be quite difficult, I would suggest not messing with that at all. Instead focus on brining the memory as close to 3600MHz as possible. A good starting point would be to loosen the primary timings and bump up the memory voltage to 1.35V. You can go as high as 1.5V for daily use, but keep in mind that not all memory chips like voltage. Mine, for example, don't like anything beyond 1.35V and actually more voltage makes them highly unstable. The best thing to keep in mind is because memory is not created equal, you can't just go copy pasting someone else's settings and expect that they will work. You will need to do the majority of the work by yourself. 

Recommend watching this as it will introduce you to the memory terminology that you will need to learn and settings that you need to look out for.

This is not on your particular board, but might be worth watching as well just to get a basic idea of the importance of certain settings

Happy overclocking! 🙂 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I just asked my friend who knows overclocking better than me and i’m going to show him this thread. Thank you so much fo the help and the detailed instructions. I kind of understand most of the part now. Hope u have a wonderful day. Thanks !

Update. I managed to get it to 3600 mhz. So i consider it a success lol. If there’s no bug/problem after i changed it, that means it worked right?

1 hour ago, Awomen said:

Update. I managed to get it to 3600 mhz. So i consider it a success lol. If there’s no bug/problem after i changed it, that means it worked right?

most likely yes until you encounter a problem you can consider it stable. 

what are your timings ?

did you notice any improvement in performance ?

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

1 hour ago, Awomen said:

Did you test for stability? If not then that's what you need to do next. Just booting up with a certain et of memory timings doesn't mean that everything is working fine.