why doesn't intel allow OC on b series boards?

so why doesn't intel allow OC for the RAM at least? you could get 3-4% performance boost for overclocking the ram from 2666mhz to 3200mhz or even higher . and you could do this on a b series board but in fact they only allow it on z series boards.more than that all their non -k CPU's are locked on all boards including the z-series. at least they could allow RAM OC on b series boards.

QC and price cuts on B-series boards and the marketing for B-series boards being cheaper while Z series are "performance" boards. Not many people compare "halo" products on B-series boards so all the performance reviews will be on the "best we can get" boards to eliminate potential differences between the parts not being reviewed. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

They could also send you a free 10900K, so why won't they do that? Or how about a free Porsche 911 with every purchase? Why Intel, WHY?!

9 minutes ago, imajerec said:

so why doesn't intel allow OC for the RAM at least? you could get 3-4% performance boost for overclocking the ram from 2666mhz to 3200mhz or even higher . and you could do this on a b series board but in fact they only allow it on z series boards.more than that all their non -k CPU's are locked on all boards including the z-series. at least they could allow RAM OC on b series boards.

Mainly no other reason than to segment their product lineup so they could sell more or make more profit on their silicon yields, there's also the argument that there's only a small fraction of people who overclock their CPUs, and if you are into that type of thing then you should've considered paying the premium, it's a ridiculous artificial limitation that isn't necessary but it's there.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, GhostRoadieBL said:

QC and price cuts on B-series boards and the marketing for B-series boards being cheaper while Z series are "performance" boards. Not many people compare "halo" products on B-series boards so all the performance reviews will be on the "best we can get" boards to eliminate potential differences between the parts not being reviewed. 

most b boards have good enough vsoc mosffets to allow ram OC. and some b boards like the msi b460 mag/torpedo have more than enough decent VRM's to support CPU overclock. i mean it's pretty stupid to not allow it if it's possible. very sad marketing by intel to lock their CPU's / boards like this just to get some more money on the k CPU's and z boards

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

They could also send you a free 10900K, so why won't they do that? Or how about a free Porsche 911 with every purchase? Why Intel, WHY?!

intel fan boy at it's finest. jesus . you can't be for real man. you simply cannot be for real. please tell me you're pretending

1 minute ago, imajerec said:

intel fan boy at it's finest. jesus . you can't be for real man. you simply cannot be for real. please tell me you're pretending

Sarcasm.

elephants

1 minute ago, imajerec said:

No, I am an actual Intel fanboy and receive free 911s with every purchase to spread this massage.

2 minutes ago, imajerec said:

most b boards have good enough vsoc mosffets to allow ram OC. and some b boards like the msi b460 mag/torpedo have more than enough decent VRM's to support CPU overclock. i mean it's pretty stupid to not allow it if it's possible. very sad marketing by intel to lock their CPU's / boards like this just to get some more money on the k CPU's and z boards

it is unfortunate, There's plenty of great b-series boards kneecapped by the Z series and non-k series CPUs. Hopefully with AMD's B-series and everything unlocked CPUs will change some of intel's practices but I can also see the non-K and non-X CPUs from both sides boosting to the same frequencies with Turbo and PBO so it doesn't make a huge difference anymore. 

scary thought is intel and amd will limit parts in the bios or by power limiting in B series boards to listed specs instead of letting them boost above which could take sales away from their K and X series processors. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

7 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

No, I am an actual Intel fanboy and receive free 911s with every purchase to spread this massage.

you're making absolute no sense. even with that exageration you're not proving absolutely nothing. you're basically comparing a reasonable demand like beeing able to OC the RAM on a b motherboard like it is possible on all ryzen boards/cpus (with paying a reasonable amount) with an exagerated fact that you should ''get free 10900k and free porsche'' it makes abosutely no sense to prove any point if you're even trying to make one, if you do in fact try to prove anything you sadly failed miserably with such arguments.

you're making absolute no sense. even with that exageration you're not proving absolutely nothing. you're basically comparing a reasonable demand like beeing able to OC the RAM on a b motherboard like it is possible on all ryzen boards/cpus (with paying a reasonable amount) with an exagerated fact that you should ''get free 10900k and free porsche'' it makes abosutely no sense to prove any point if you're even trying to make one, but you sadly failed miserably.

It's sarcasm and a joke.

elephants

5 minutes ago, imajerec said:

you're making absolute no sense. even with that exageration you're not proving absolutely nothing. you're basically comparing a reasonable demand like beeing able to OC the RAM on a b motherboard like it is possible on all ryzen boards/cpus (with paying a reasonable amount) with an exagerated fact that you should ''get free 10900k and free porsche'' it makes abosutely no sense to prove any point if you're even trying to make one, but you sadly failed miserably.

No, it makes perfect sense.

As previously mentioned, it's for product differentiation and therefor obviously for marketing purposes. To make it short: For money.

This is just as obvious as them not giving out free 911s with every purchase.

But why does AMD do it then you might ask. You probably don't, but whatever...
Obviously also for marketing. If Intel doesn't do it, but AMD does, who's the good guy now?

And regarding your fanboy comment - yes I am actually an Intel fanboy, but I'm neither blind nor stupid and instead bought a Ryzen 2700 and 5800X the last two times.

Makes sense now?

4 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

it is unfortunate, There's plenty of great b-series boards kneecapped by the Z series and non-k series CPUs. Hopefully with AMD's B-series and everything unlocked CPUs will change some of intel's practices but I can also see the non-K and non-X CPUs from both sides boosting to the same frequencies with Turbo and PBO so it doesn't make a huge difference anymore. 

scary thought is intel and amd will limit parts in the bios or by power limiting in B series boards to listed specs instead of letting them boost above which could take sales away from their K and X series processors. 

i get that but users should at least be allowed to OC the RAM. if you check techpowerup/ gamers nexus yt reviews on different intel CPU's there is a pretty signficat boost (9th/10th series) even 5% in performance from standard 2666mhz RAM to 3200mhz DDR4

7 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

It's sarcasm and a joke.

i got it from the begging that it was sarcasm but it made absolute no point at it was totally disproportionated with the demand i was claiming, like it's pretty reasonable to ask for at least RAM OC on b-series boards but the guy went totally bersek mode and was like ''yeah you should also get free cars'' . like the demand i was expecting what the most unreasonable and crazy thing that one could ask for. AMD allows CPU/RAM OC all the AM4 boards, does that mean that if they are so crazy to allow that, they should also give free cars?

i got it from the begging that it was sarcasm but it made absolute no point at it was totally disproportionated with the demand i was claiming, like it's pretty reasonable to ask for at least RAM OC on b-series boards but the guy went totally bersek mode and was like ''yeah you should also get free cars'' . like the demand i was expecting what the most unreasonable and crazy thing that one could ask for. AMD allows CPU/RAM OC all the AM4 boards, does that mean that if they are so crazy to allow that, they should also give free cars?

You're missing the point.

He was pointing out Intel's mindset and using hyperbole to express it.

elephants

4 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

You're missing the point.

He was pointing out Intel's mindset and using hyperbole to express it.

so intel considers that beeing able to OC the CPU's and RAM is a luxury and one should pay absolute premium prices when AMD offers these stuff for a non-premium affordable price? how is intel's marketing strategy even viable? i guess there are always long-time ''intel fan'' boys that would buy their products no matter what?

3 minutes ago, imajerec said:

so intel considers that beeing able to OC the CPU's and RAM is a luxury and one should pay absolute premium prices when AMD offers these stuff for a non-premium affordable price? how is intel's marketing strategy even viable? i guess there are always long-time ''intel fan'' boys that would buy their products no matter what?

Intel's CEO for awhile was not an engineer.

Now that Bob Swan is gone and an engineer is at the helm, we might see Intel change.

Intel had grown complacent at the top, and since people were buying the Z boards anyway, they didn't see a reason to change.

AMD turned this against them.

elephants

8 minutes ago, imajerec said:

No, Intel's marketing experts realised that they can simply make more money by not offering those features on lower end chipsets and therefor sell more higher end chipsets to board manufacturers. The only reason AMD doesn't do this, is so that AMD can use it as a marketing advantage for their own platforms. Customers will see that those features are allowed to be used on cheaper boards and therefor simply sympathise more with AMD and less with Intel.

Here's the fun part and you'll hate it, I can assure you that, but you're the prime example of how marketing works, considering you blindly call me a fanboy and use AMD's chipsets as a comparison point without any reference. This is fanboyism without being aware of it.

6 minutes ago, imajerec said:

Intel doesn't officially acknowledge RAM speeds above 2666, unless that's changed with the newer CEO. For the longest time, K cpu or non K, if they found out you OCd ram or CPU, you voided your warranty.

There's also another possibility here that hasn't been mentioned. Is it Intel locking our XMP on B series, or is it motherboard manufacturers?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

19 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Intel doesn't officially acknowledge RAM speeds above 2666, unless that's changed with the newer CEO. For the longest time, K cpu or non K, if they found out you OCd ram or CPU, you voided your warranty.

There's also another possibility here that hasn't been mentioned. Is it Intel locking our XMP on B series, or is it motherboard manufacturers?

i'm pretty sure that most hard OC'ers if they had the possibility would OC at the risk of losing their warranties. and it's pretty clear intel's locking the ram OC on the h/b boards since if it was the manufacturers it would do it on AM4 a/b boards as well as AM4's CPUs IMC is weaker than intel's at least on zen1 and zen+

20 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

No, Intel's marketing experts realised that they can simply make more money by not offering those features on lower end chipsets and therefor sell more higher end chipsets to board manufacturers. The only reason AMD doesn't do this, is so that AMD can use it as a marketing advantage for their own platforms. Customers will see that those features are allowed to be used on cheaper boards and therefor simply sympathise more with AMD and less with Intel.

Here's the fun part and you'll hate it, I can assure you that, but you're the prime example of how marketing works, considering you blindly call me a fanboy and use AMD's chipsets as a comparison point without any reference. This is fanboyism without being aware of it.

i've always used PC parts that gave me the best value for the money. i've had stuff for a long time from intel/amd/nvidia and i didn't use AMD's chipset as a comparasion without any reference. i was clearly statinng that it is possible to OC on all AM4 boards /CPU's without paying an armd and a leg and ''expecting free cars'' when the same stuff doesn't hold for intel. 

Seems for 500 B-series boards, Intel will be allowing memory oc.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x