Xfx 980

KBergeron

So I usually when I buy graphics cards I go nvidia or msi but this time when I bought a graphics card I went with Xfx I never heard of them and well I’m wondering if I made the right choice I believe I paid like 239.99 for it  Whats everyone’s opinion on Xfx cards  please share even though I cant get a new card again for along while but I figure I’d see what people have to say

1 minute ago, KBergeron said:

I paid like 239.99

$?

A bit overpriced like all semi-new and new GPUs

I edit my posts more often than not

You got ripped off. I paid $130 for a ROG STRIX 970 and even that hurt (I should mention that I live in a shithole of a country and the price was good compared to the other ones for sale). I havent had a good deal of experience with any of their cards but they usually cater to value market rather than high end (thats why you got ripped off).

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, KBergeron said:

239.99 for it

i would not  pay more than 100$ for 980.

Anyway XFX is a decent brand. but it depends on the gpu models and such.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

23 minutes ago, KBergeron said:

So I usually when I buy graphics cards I go nvidia or msi but this time when I bought a graphics card I went with Xfx I never heard of them and well I’m wondering if I made the right choice I believe I paid like 239.99 for it  Whats everyone’s opinion on Xfx cards  please share even though I cant get a new card again for along while but I figure I’d see what people have to say

Ahm i seem to be the only one who noticed this but XFX has been making only AMD cards for years now... XFX stopped making NVIDIA cards in 2008 (well because of NVIDIA though) when it partnered with ATi (now AMD), so either that XFX is something else or that 980 isn't an XFX... Did you mean RX 580 XFX ?

20 minutes ago, KBergeron said:

I paid like 239.99

Same price i paid for my GTX 1660...

And my GTX 1660 is faster,i overclocked it as well.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 minutes ago, Seyrren said:

Ahm i seem to be the only one who noticed this but XFX has been making only AMD cards for years now... XFX stopped making NVIDIA cards in 2008 when it partnered with ATi (now AMD), so either that XFX is something else or that 980 isn't an XFX...

Nice observation!

XFX is also Galax?

Maybe GPU-Z lies to OP or the card is something unimaginable...

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Nice observation!

I'm guessing its type and he meant the RX 580 though only the OP knows for sure...

3 minutes ago, Seyrren said:

Ahm i seem to be the only one who noticed this but XFX has been making only AMD cards for years now... XFX stopped making NVIDIA cards in 2008 when it partnered with ATi (now AMD), so either that XFX is something else or that 980 isn't an XFX...

You are correct...

I hope it wasn't a 9800 GTX...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

7 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

XFX is also Galax?

How did you find out that galax and XFX are related ? I tried looking it up but can't find anything...

5 minutes ago, Seyrren said:

How did you find out that galax and XFX are related ? I tried looking it up but can't find anything...

My mistake (again), KFA2 and Galax are the same "brand", not XFX.

27 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

My mistake (again), KFA2 and Galax are the same "brand", not XFX.

NP, thanks for clearing it up since it didn't make much sense and i would be stuck in a limbo looking it up lol.

9 hours ago, Seyrren said:

NP, thanks for clearing it up since it didn't make much sense and i would be stuck in a limbo looking it up lol.

I’ll have to pull the box from my closet to get what it is but I was pretty sure it was a 980 but I’ll get back to you folks on that 

4 hours ago, KBergeron said:

I’ll have to pull the box from my closet to get what it is but I was pretty sure it was a 980 but I’ll get back to you folks on that 

You can't have something that doesn't exist, the last high performance NVIDIA series that XFX did was the Geforce 200 series, afterwards up to about 2012 the only nvidia gpu releases they did where XFX Geforce: 430 GT, 520,  630 GT and the last ever XFX Nvidia Geforce made card was the 640 GT.

9 hours ago, Seyrren said:

You can't have something that doesn't exist, the last high performance NVIDIA series that XFX did was the Geforce 200 series, afterwards up to about 2012 the only nvidia gpu releases they did where XFX Geforce: 430 GT, 520,  630 GT and the last ever XFX Nvidia Geforce made card was the 640 GT.

Yup you were right it’s the Xfx rx580 i don’t know why I thought it was a 980 ohh well my mistake anyways the question wasn’t about model it was about brand 

2 minutes ago, KBergeron said:

Yup you were right it’s the Xfx rx580 i don’t know why I thought it was a 980 ohh well my mistake anyways the question wasn’t about model it was about brand 

XFX has been in the market for a long while making good cards.  They dont make the GPU (NVIDIA or AMD makes the processor) they make the board and cooler (basically).  I have owned plenty of XFX in the past and have no issues with buying from them in the future.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

On 1/16/2021 at 9:29 AM, KBergeron said:

So I usually when I buy graphics cards I go nvidia or msi 

Gonna take this opportunity to clear up some confusion. 

As @Tristerinalludes to above, Nvidia and AMD are the companies that actually make the GPU chips that go in a graphics card. Companies like MSI, XFX, Asus, PowerColor, Sapphire, etc. then buy those chips from Nvidia or AMD to make complete graphics cards, sometimes with their own PCB and cooler designs to enhance the chip's performance. So saying "I go Nvidia or MSI" doesn't make sense. Every graphics card MSI sells has a GPU chip in it from either Nvidia or AMD. MSI is not in competition with Nvidia, they are a customer/licensee. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, KBergeron said:

So ? We had no way of knowing if you posted wrong the model or the brand... Like others have said yes XFX is a good brand, in fact XFX, Sapphire and Powercolor are like the holy trinity when it comes to AMD cards.

Just now, Seyrren said:

So ? We had no way of knowing if you posted wrong the model or the brand... Like others have said yes XFX is a good brand, in fact XFX, Sapphire and Powercolor are like the holy trinity when it comes to AMD cards.

Eh, some of XFX's Navi cards were notably bad, and in the Polaris era the only thing that set XFX apart was that they marketed the gimmick of their fans being really easy to replace... which is like, not much of a selling point unless you also expect your fans to fail really fast?

I've heard good things about the 6800 XT, the Speedster or whatever it's called, but I wouldn't put them on the level of Sapphire. They're fine. Just fine. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

7 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Eh, some of XFX's Navi cards were notably bad, and in the Polaris era the only thing that set XFX apart was that they marketed the gimmick of their fans being really easy to replace... which is like, not much of a selling point unless you also expect your fans to fail really fast?

I've heard good things about the 6800 XT, the Speedster or whatever it's called, but I wouldn't put them on the level of Sapphire. They're fine. Just fine. 

I actually forgot a line in my post i just noticed "well it depends on the model but...", i didn't meant though that XFX was better or as good as Sapphire there, but when it comes to AMD they are among the top brands, if i where to classify them from best to worst:

Sapphire

PowerColor

XFX

XFX doesn't quite make as high quality stuff as Sapphire but they did offer some pretty good quality stuff for nice budget options, i think that's what set them aside in the competition.