~$1500 SFX Build recommendations before I buy

ShadySocks

Budget (including currency): not set, just going for bang4buck

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Valorant, Unity, ETH Mining, Minesweeper... (yes 3080 is overkill but i still want it)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I was able to get a 5600X (for msrp), so I threw together this parts list around it. I'm not sure if everything fits, but there are reddit posts of other people fitting the ninja5. Hopefully I can get it to fit with different standoffs if it doesn't fit initially. I am hoping to travel with this as a luggage carry-on as I plan to move it around a bit. I am not planning on paying scalper prices.

How I chose each part:

5600X - because I was able to get it

Ninja5 - I like how it looks (CHONKY) over the Fuma 2. Otherwise I would choose the Fuma 2

ASRock B550M - sorted from low>high on pcpartpicker. It should be good for 5600X (tier c on mobo tier list)

Ballistix - because buildzoid recommends

MP600 - I know this doesn't give much benefit but I want it anyway

3080 - I'm just gonna take what I can get

NR200P - I want an ncase M1 but this is cheaper. I plan to deshroud the GPU

FOCUS SGX - cheapest tier A on pcpartpicker (and only $15 more than cheapest 650w)

Maybe double check me on the tier lists, I hope I did it correctly...

The heatsink is massive, probably wont fit that case.

image.png.e7314c0716214fa01e666f8ad20b3581.png

Close to MSRP. Aliexpress

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

The ninja5 is 155mm high and the NR200 fits coolers up to 155mm high :)

Worst case scenario I'll get 1mm shorter standoffs

1 minute ago, ShadySocks said:

It barely fits, I love it!

Yeah that's super close, now the problem is how to circulate enough air.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

650w doesn't have enough 8pins for the 3080 if I remember correctly, also cooler is huge, better to go with a noctua or flat style 120mm

The MP600 doesn't gain you ang usable speed except for installing games, I'd recommend a gen3 1tb instead so you can load more without sacrificing any real world use case speed. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

7 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

650w doesn't have enough 8pins for the 3080 if I remember correctly, also cooler is huge, better to go with a noctua or flat style 120mm

The MP600 doesn't gain you ang usable speed except for installing games, I'd recommend a gen3 1tb instead so you can load more without sacrificing any real world use case speed. 

Yeah If someone else was gonna buy a pcie4.0 ssd, I would tell them the same thing, but I want it anyway :)
About the PSU, can I just buy a splitter or do I need to look into another PSU? thx

@ShadySocksif you want something compact you could wait for a month for this case: 

"The SSUPD Meshlicious"

Its a collaboration with ncase and lian li. 

CPU cooler clearance with a glass side panel is 153mm, see Specification section of https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mini-itx/masterbox-nr200p/. The Ninja 5 is 155mm tall. There may also be issues with the 39.1mm tall memory modules. See notes and pics in https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8925/scythe-ninja-5-cpu-cooler-review/index.html.

The gpu power cables may have issues with the side.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 minutes ago, Stygian Zenith said:

@ShadySocksif you want something compact you could wait for a month for this case: 

"The SSUPD Meshlicious"

Its a collaboration with ncase and lian li. 

I like the ncase m1 and nr200 better than this one... Also doesn't lian li own ncase?

2 minutes ago, brob said:

CPU cooler clearance with a glass side panel is 153mm. The Ninja 5 is 155mm tall. There may also be issues with the 39.1mm tall memory modules. See notes and pics in https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8925/scythe-ninja-5-cpu-cooler-review/index.html.

The gpu power cables may have issues with the side.

the GPU power cables will be fine

@ShadySocks lian li dosent own ncase. Ncase uses lian li to manufacture their products but those two are different companies and are owned by different people. 

with the pricing on RAM right now, i would for sure got with a 32GB kit, and also a 1TB M.2 drive. if your getting a Gen 3 there good deal right now.

are you sure a 3080RTX will fit and the PSU has enough power? and where are you going to get one from, there super rare right now or very very expensive. 

i would buy a used GPU to get the system up and running and then make sure you can fit a 3000 series when the pricing and availability is better. 

7 hours ago, Stygian Zenith said:

if you want something compact you could wait for a month for this case: 

"The SSUPD Meshlicious"

Not if he's air cooling. The ~4L saved doesn't seem worth sacrificing the air cooler clearance for imo. 

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

7 hours ago, ShadySocks said:

FOCUS SGX - cheapest tier A on pcpartpicker (and only $15 more than cheapest 650w)

Don't go for a 650W PSU for a 3080 if you don't already have it. It may work, but it isn't guaranteed. I'd try for the Corsair SF750 when it comes back in stock

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

9 hours ago, ShadySocks said:

Yeah If someone else was gonna buy a pcie4.0 ssd, I would tell them the same thing, but I want it anyway :)
About the PSU, can I just buy a splitter or do I need to look into another PSU? thx

I looked into it more and the 650 has 4x8pin so no problem, the 500w has 2x8pin

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it