Ubiquiti USG for small business?

Business-y question here... Got a 5 user business currently running a Sonicwall that is coming to it's very expensive license renewal.

Keep looking at the Ubiquiti USG (the small one, not the big rackmount pro model) as an alternative.

80Mbps down, 20Mbps up

Very flat network, no fancy VLANs, Port forward or NAT rules, just internet straight out.

What security features are you using on the sonicwall?

You can keep using that sonicwall with out a license as a basic router, and should be fine for your use, and probably still has simmilar features to the usg

Do you have any other unifi devices, id only buy the usg if you do, otherwise get something like a edge router or a mikrotik router, or even just a home grade router.

26 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What security features are you using on the sonicwall?

You can keep using that sonicwall with out a license as a basic router, and should be fine for your use, and probably still has simmilar features to the usg

Do you have any other unifi devices, id only buy the usg if you do, otherwise get something like a edge router or a mikrotik router, or even just a home grade router.

Absolutely no features at all to be honest, really just had the license in case of support for software hardware issues really.

Keeping the firmware up to date is critical for us though.

I'm thinking to keep the SonicWall in place, as the USG i'm concerned on for any business case, not just from a feature point of view but whether it's really a great choice for business.

Thanks for your help.

1 minute ago, JTPOTATO said:

Absolutely no features at all to be honest, really just had the license in case of support for software hardware issues really.

Keeping the firmware up to date is critical for us though.

I'm thinking to keep the SonicWall in place, as the USG i'm concerned on for any business case, not just from a feature point of view but whether it's really a great choice for business.

Thanks for your help.

Yea id keep the sonicwall in place, I don't see a reason to swap it.

The usg isn't really on the same level as the sonicwall as its firewall abilities go, and support is normally much worse aswell. 

But your buiness doesn't need much, basically any router will work here.

What were the reasons that the Sonicwall was chosen originally?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Have a look at Fortigate, and let both vendors know that you are cross shopping. This should help you get a pretty good deal on either of them. 

Ubiquiti's IPS functionality is not very good. I wouldn't mind the USG for a cheap 'dumb' firewall though. 

Personally I would place an amateurly managed pfSense install above either USG or Sonicwall, though. Seems like every customer that contacts me about packet loss issues is running a sonicwall. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

If it's raw internet and doing no inbound firewall policy, IPS etc then your requirements list is very small and a USG isn't a bad shout. The Sonicwall could be overkill.

A FortiGate 50E could be a good alternative if you want the AV/IPS features.

The Sonicwall is a enterprise security device. Similar devices would be Fortigates/Palo Altos/Firepower. They have the ability to do IPS, SSL Decryption, inline antivirus, URL filtering, user id based policies, and other advanced security functions. Without the licenses they normally become a standard statefull firewall with the ability to provide granular policy control.

The Ubiquiti Security Gateway doesn't have any of the advanced security features of the enterprise devices. It is basically a statefull firewall with some granular controls.

I would suggest that there is little to no reason to swap the Sonicwall out with the Ubiquiti Security Gateway.