Is increasing tx power dangerous?

im_not_200iq

So i just got a router from mikrotik and i want some better range.

Is increasing tx power level dangerous? If so, what are safe levels that will still work?

TX power of what?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

if by dangerous you are talking about dangerous for your health similar to the most recent LTT video, no. turn it up as high as you need/want/can to get the performance you are after.

If you mean for the hardware, probably still no, itll just run a little hotter to output more power.

1 minute ago, matt0725 said:

if by dangerous you are talking about dangerous for your health similar to the most recent LTT video, no. turn it up as high as you need/want/can to get the performance you are after.

If you mean for the hardware, probably still no, itll just run a little hotter to output more power.

Im talkin hardware, fk that flat earther bs.

But like what level would it be safe to go up to?

Provided you bought it configured for your region then it should have limits on the max TX power you can go for that region, otherwise double check and make sure you're not setting it to something above what your local region allows for wifi TX power but to be honest unless you've got a super overkill antenna with TONS of power (like needing external/dedicated power) then you don't have anything to worry about.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

TX power of what?

tx(transmit power) i think.

The deafault whas 17

If you can select it then the hardware can do it...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Remember though, just increasing TX power doesn't mean you'll have better coverage if the device on the RX end can't produce enough power to talk back to the AP. Additionally just increasing TX can cause other problems such as neighbors having issues connecting, roaming issues, etc.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Kilrah said:

If you can select it then the hardware can do it...

Could it have some kind of effects tho? like that dosent realy help.

Same way you could oc ur cpu to like 5ghz. Am i oc or smth?

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Remember though, just increasing TX power doesn't mean you'll have better coverage if the device on the RX end can't produce enough power to talk back to the AP. Additionally just increasing TX can cause other problems such as neighbors having issues connecting, roaming issues, etc.

1. The neibhurs shouldnt be an issue.

2.What other issues can it have?

3. is there lke a number you could name? or smth?

2 minutes ago, im_not_200iq said:

Could it have some kind of effects tho? like that dosent realy help.

Same way you could oc ur cpu to like 5ghz. Am i oc or smth?

Nope, won't hurt anything, but won't help range much normally. No reason not to try it.

2 minutes ago, im_not_200iq said:

It varies depending on your environment but generally 25 or below has been fine for me running two APs and not causing any issues. Here are a few potential "issues" you can have:

https://metis.fi/en/2017/10/txpower/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

It varies depending on your environment but generally 25dB or below has been fine for me running two APs and not causing any issues. Here are a few potential "issues" you can have:

https://metis.fi/en/2017/10/txpower/

Could i do 40? i realy dont give a fk about the law or the neibruhs(mainly cuz they not realy that close)

btw im using some home router my isp gave me.

4 minutes ago, im_not_200iq said:

Could i do 40? i realy dont give a fk about the law or the neibruhs(mainly cuz they not realy that close)

It won't let you transmit higher than you legally can. Most routers are running near the legal limit anyways, so you can't increase it much.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

It won't let you transmit higher than you legally can. Most routers are running near the legal limit anyways, so you can't increase it much.

aight thx, im gona look into it a bit more tho.

21 minutes ago, im_not_200iq said:

While you don't care about the law. Depending on your government they can and will find out. Here in the US that would probably get you a $30,000 fine from the FCC. There was a case in the US where ASUS was shipping routers that transmitted higher than legally allowed. They settled with a big fine. I personally wouldn't risk it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

While you don't care about the law. Depending on your government they can and will find out. Here in the US that would probably get you a $30,000 fine from the FCC. There was a case in the US where ASUS was shipping routers that transmitted higher than legally allowed. They settled with a big fine. I personally wouldn't risk it. 

I dont exactly live in the us. But i do want to know the legal limit.

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

also i live in an area where i woudnt realy be conserned about them finding out

Also how do they find out?

1 minute ago, im_not_200iq said:

also i live in an area where i woudnt realy be conserned about them finding out

Also how do they find out?

They can detect those sorta of things. There was a guy in NYC who's ASIC Bitcoin miner was broadcasting a 700 MHz signal. It wasn't intentional on his part but he was broadcasting on the part of the 700 MHz band used by T Mobile. T Mobile noticed the issue, informed the FCC and bing bang boom the FCC was knocking on that guys door. 

As far as the ASUS router goes, Im not sure how they figured that one out. My guess is the FCC maybe was in an area with that router and noticed it was broadcasting too high. Keep in mind that the airwaves are controlled by the Government and some bands are shared. For example parts of the 5Ghz band fall in to use by Radar, thats what the DFS channels are. I wouldn't doubt it if FCC personal just drove around looking for rouge signals. Especially if there was maybe  an airport, military base or other critical thing in the area. 

6 minutes ago, im_not_200iq said:

But i do want to know the legal limit.

Contact what ever authority manages the airwaves in your country. They might have a Website. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

They can detect those sorta of things. There was a guy in NYC who's ASIC Bitcoin miner was broadcasting a 700 MHz signal. It wasn't intentional on his part but he was broadcasting on the part of the 700 MHz band used by T Mobile. T Mobile noticed the issue, informed the FCC and bing bang boom the FCC was knocking on that guys door. 

As far as the ASUS router goes, Im not sure how they figured that one out. My guess is the FCC maybe was in an area with that router and noticed it was broadcasting too high. Keep in mind that the airwaves are controlled by the Government and some bands are shared. For example parts of the 5Ghz band fall in to use by Radar, thats what the DFS channels are. I wouldn't doubt it if FCC personal just drove around looking for rouge signals. Especially if there was maybe  an airport, military base or other critical thing in the area. 

Contact what ever authority manages the airwaves in your country. They might have a Website. 

Cool thx

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

btw how do i convert dbm to mhz?

Just now, im_not_200iq said:

btw how do i convert dbm to mhz?

You dont. Mhz is the band use. dbm is used for signal strength. 

You cant change the band that WIFi operates on. Because the WiFi band has unlicensed use. Other bands require a license from the government to use. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You dont. Mhz is the band use. dbm is used for signal strength. 

You cant change the band that WIFi operates on. Because the WiFi band has unlicensed use. Other bands require a license from the government to use. 

Alright its late for me im gona gosleep now bye.

10 hours ago, im_not_200iq said:

Well, it really pisses off the neighbors cat when it's hair starts falling out. No, turning up the TX power won't "hurt" anything but your existing reception. Making it "louder" won't make it any "better". It only makes the signal noisier and far less reliable. The ONLY reliable way to get a decent signal is with more coverage and that means more hardware.

4 hours ago, THEGURUOFNOTHING said:

Well, it really pisses off the neighbors cat when it's hair starts falling out. No, turning up the TX power won't "hurt" anything but your existing reception. Making it "louder" won't make it any "better". It only makes the signal noisier and far less reliable. The ONLY reliable way to get a decent signal is with more coverage and that means more hardware.

This does need to be stressed more, that the higher the power, the more noisy the signal.  Turning it DOWN can actually end up with faster performance as you are operating the signal amplifier in a more efficient range.

Its the same with any amplifier, there is a sweet-spot where it introduces the least noise and gets worst the closer you push it to its limit.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7