F**K Asus at this point R6E Raid loss on every BIOS update

Why tell me why?
First bought this motherboard R6E in 2017 saw VROC and M.2 slot times 3. 
Found out I can't do 3 VROC raid FINE! Can do 1 drive and then 2 PCH raid not VROC. 
EVERY time I do a BIOS update I loose my Raid! 
I go to try and find both drive and only one show up ready but the other doesn't 
Serious ASUS WTF?!??!?!
I can't be the only to have this hassle what is the right config?
I just sent another board back. 
I am pissed on a $600+ board fucking bios update shouldn't do this shit. 

Any time you update the bios, it restores the board's defaults (which you should also clear cmos before and after a flash any ways) and you have to set up your raid configuration in bios.

Yes, that's perfectly normal.... on any motherboard.

5 minutes ago, Bmoney said:

Why tell me why?

Congratulations, you just learned one of the reasons why BIOS RAID is bad and one should use software - RAID from the OS - side instead.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Congratulations, you just learned one of the reasons why BIOS RAID is bad and one should use software - RAID from the OS - side instead.

I can't stand my bios raid on the board. It turns every single sata port into raid lol. (Yes, I'm still using sata drives, leave me alone I'm old. :P )

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

I can't stand my bios raid on the board. It turns every single sata port into raid lol. (Yes, I'm still using sata drives, leave me alone I'm old. :P )

I'm young and I'm using a SATA II HDD because that's what in my system.

elephants

If things are working as they should there really isn't a reason to update the BIOS even if a new one is available. Assuming everything's good and you aren't patching for security vulnerabilities you don't need to keep up with the latest versions. Whatever one you have is good enough.

How often are you updating your BIOS, and why?

I never update BIOS unless the new revision adds some specific feature or fixes some specific bug. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I check every 6 months. Nothing interesting, I don't bother. 

If it's an OC board, I try and keep current or search for modded bios's (legacy boards)

Why even update your BIOS in the first place? If you're not doing anything that would otherwise require it (i.e. CPU upgrade not supported by current version), why risk it? I've never once done a BIOS update on any system I've ever built or deployed, and it's never been an issue in the decade+ I've been doing this. I've also personally found Asus BIOS to be amongst the nicer ones to work in. I personally like how things are laid out and the features they usually have (just my personal opinion).

27 minutes ago, Bmoney said:

I am pissed on a $600+ board fucking bios update shouldn't do this shit. 

As others have said, that's normal. Your board's fine.

19 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No shame in that. My system has a 1TB NVMe drive, two 1TB SATA III SSDs and a 4GB SATA III HDD. I suppose I could install another 500GB NVMe drive, but that would require me to swap out the motherboard in my system with the one I still haven't taken out of its box...3 months later...it might be time to just admit that I'll never use it and return it to Amazon...

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

As others have said, that's normal. Your board's fine.

No shame in that. My system has a 1TB NVMe drive, two 1TB SATA III SSDs and a 4GB SATA III HDD. I suppose I could install another 500GB NVMe drive, but that would require me to swap out the motherboard in my system with the one I still haven't taken out of its box...3 months later...it might be time to just admit that I'll never use it and return it to Amazon...

I like the idea that I can swap my OS drive quickly and easily. The fasten drive to motherboard is a turn off for me. *shrugs*

You should hang onto the spare drive. Last time I sent some drives back a few weeks later wound up re-purchasing them lol. Was a Duh moment I guess lol.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I like the idea that I can swap my OS drive quickly and easily. The fasten drive to motherboard is a turn off for me. *shrugs*

You should hang onto the spare drive. Last time I sent some drives back a few weeks later wound up re-purchasing them lol. Was a Duh moment I guess lol.

Oh, I'm definitely hanging onto the spare drive. It's an SN750. I've only still got the board in hopes that AMD announces a $225 R5 5600 or a sub-$350 R7 5700X at some point this month. If I haven't heard anything by 1/25 or so, I have to send it back to Amazon or lose the refund. And I know that if I send it back, they'll announce the 5600 the next day. If I don't, they'll just keep dropping overpriced X CPUs.

Even if that board does go back, the extra NVMe stays with me.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

18 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

If things are working as they should there really isn't a reason to update the BIOS even if a new one is available. Assuming everything's good and you aren't patching for security vulnerabilities you don't need to keep up with the latest versions. Whatever one you have is good enough.

I was getting weird shutdowns and stability problems that why I Updated. 

Just now, Bmoney said:

I was getting weird shutdowns and stability problems that why I Updated. 

Multiple times though? A one-off to test the theory OK but if you're updating the BIOS multiple times and you lose your BIOS RAID every time (in theory you might be able to recover it if you have all the settings written down) isn't that kind of an indicator you should avoid updating it again unless you really need to?

Ditch BIOS RAID, and go OS RAID, or get a physical RAID card.

But yes, updating the BIOS will disable / lose RAID set-up...happens on every consumer level motherboard.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>