Does a 4 pin CPU connector work with an 8 pin Motherboard?

Tobs
Go to solution Solved by Tobs,
3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

You can plug just a 4-pin in the 8-pin EPS connector on the motherboard.

But, the fact that your PSU doesn't have an 8-pin EPS connector to start with, and that it can only output 15A on the 12V rail (so 180W), is a little alarming, to say the least.

Basically, I'd recommend you buy a non-dumpster-fire power supply, instead of potentially creating more problems.

You don't need to break the bank to get something decent - there's units like the Corsair CX/CXM, Cooler Master MWE Bronze v2/White v2, be quiet! System Power 9/Pure Power 10 or 11 400W+ (not the 300/350W variants) or Seasonic S12III, which should power your components just fine at an acceptable price.

okay, thank you very much. this was very helpful.

Here is the setting:

i am trying to upgrade my PC. MySpecs:

- Ryzen 5 3600

- MSI B550-A Pro

- Gtx 1050 (i know it sucks)

- LC420H-12 (PSU, 420w)

The problem is, that the motherboard has a 4 Pin Cpu power pin and the motherboard has an 8 Pin Cpu power.

Will it work with the 4 Pin connector?

Is the wattage too low?

I really need help right now.

Thanks.

Edit: Could i also fix this problem by changing the sata connectors via an adapter to another 4 pin?

Your EPS power cable should split into 2x 4pin EPS cables. Just use the one cable. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

7 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

does it have 2 4 pin connectors for the cpu or on the same cabel?

No it has only 1 12V 50cm Cpu Power connector. not splitted or anything.

But, the fact that your PSU doesn't have an 8-pin EPS connector to start with, and that it can only output 15A on the 12V rail (so 180W), is a little alarming, to say the least.

Basically, I'd recommend you buy a non-dumpster-fire power supply, instead of potentially creating more problems.

You don't need to break the bank to get something decent - there's units like the Corsair CX/CXM, Cooler Master MWE Bronze v2/White v2, be quiet! System Power 9/Pure Power 10 or 11 400W+ (not the 300/350W variants) or Seasonic S12III, which should power your components just fine at an acceptable price.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

9 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

How much did it cost you?

It was a pre build PC so i dont know. Costs around 30 Euros now.

15 minutes ago, Tobs said:

Here is the setting:

i am trying to upgrade my PC. MySpecs:

- Ryzen 5 3600

- MSI B550-A Pro

- Gtx 1050 (i know it sucks)

- LC420H-12 (PSU, 420w)

The problem is, that the motherboard has a 4 Pin Cpu power pin and the motherboard has an 8 Pin Cpu power.

Will it work with the 4 Pin connector?

Is the wattage too low?

I really need help right now.

Thanks.

Edit: Could i also fix this problem by changing the sata connectors via an adapter to another 4 pin?

That psu will kill your computer. It's not even a 200w psu. So get a good quality psu to replace it.

Just now, Tobs said:

It was a pre build PC so i dont know. Costs around 30 Euros now.

Get a better power supply.

Power supplies under $50 or so are not to be trusted.

elephants

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

okay, thank you very much. this was very helpful.

5 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

3 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Get a better power supply.

Power supplies under $50 or so are not to be trusted.

okay, thanks mate

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

That psu will kill your computer. It's not even a 200w psu. So get a good quality psu to replace it.

it has 420 watt or what are you referring to?

Just now, Tobs said:

It says 420 watts, but can only provide ~200 watts.

elephants

Just now, Tobs said:

It's not. It's simply put lying to you. 15A*12V = 180w. That is 180w for both the cpu and gpu. Which it can only do if it's 100% efficient and since this is made from the cheapest crap out there it cannot do that and that is not enough power. That is if it's also not lying to you about that.

3 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

It says 420 watts, but can only provide ~200 watts.

hmm okay

so pcpartpicker tells me an estimated wattage of 250w
does that mean i couldn´t run the PC with for example an be quiet System Power 9 (400w)?

Just now, Tobs said:

hmm okay

so pcpartpicker tells me an estimated wattage of 250w
does that mean i couldn´t run the PC with for example an be quiet System Power 9 (400w)?

Get at least 650 watts or so.

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Get at least 650 watts or so.

okay thanks
i want to upgrade my pc next year with an 3060 Ti, when they are finally available...

what wattage would you recommend to run the whole PC then?

1 minute ago, Tobs said:

okay thanks
i want to upgrade my pc next year with an 3060 Ti, when they are finally available...

what wattage would you recommend to run the whole PC then?

650 watts with a good quality PSU.

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-650-gold-ssr-650fm-650w/p/N82E16817151202 is my personal recommendation.

elephants

550 bcan be fine too, but not a lot of space for GPU upgrades.

you can run at lower, although limited unless you know what you are doing.

anything from overclocking, crashing if its very low or maybe 50w difference? and more headroom enables it to work less and last longer?

4 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

550 bcan be fine too, but not a lot of space for GPU upgrades.

you can run at lower, although limited unless you know what you are doing.

anything from overclocking, crashing if its very low or maybe 50w difference? and more headroom enables it to work less and last longer?

okay, thanks bro

Just now, Tobs said:

would an be quiet sytem Power 9 (700w) also work fine? it is a lot cheaper where i live

Well, it's rated "Tier C".

I would vote no, though I'm crap at recommending PSUs.

elephants