Windows reset

Jack Hey

Hey guys today I want to reset my pc to factory settings beacuse its slow. The questions ı have are, Will my bios settings reset? Will I need any Windows Usb things that you download windows with? How long will it take? Will I have to download any dirvers? Do you recommend to do it?

Bios reset generally requires you to actually go into the bios upon boot (or popping the bios battery on the board which I don't recommend... if you can even do that these days, I haven't tried in years so no clue).

As for drivers and such, you may have to re-download updated ones, but in general, windows can pick things up and install the baseline drivers to get it functional at least.

Honestly if really worried, try to do a full backup of the drive first onto an external or something before messing with all that. As for a usb for windows, if you have such, or if have a disc, it would ideal to keep it handy.

As for how long it will take... depends entirely on your system. Older systems it will take longer than newer ones. But do expect at least an hour more than likely minimum for the entire process.

Windows 10 has this built in, you can do it without deleting your personal data but I recommend backing it up first in case of an issue.

Only wipe windows and reinstall if you have errors, a slow system can be corrected by the windows 10 built in tools.

If after using the tools it is still slow a reinstall may be a good option.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

2 minutes ago, Twolf said:

Bios reset generally requires you to actually go into the bios upon boot (or popping the bios battery on the board which I don't recommend... if you can even do that these days, I haven't tried in years so no clue).

As for drivers and such, you may have to re-download updated ones, but in general, windows can pick things up and install the baseline drivers to get it functional at least.

Honestly if really worried, try to do a full backup of the drive first onto an external or something before messing with all that. As for a usb for windows, if you have such, or if have a disc, it would ideal to keep it handy.

As for how long it will take... depends entirely on your system. Older systems it will take longer than newer ones. But do expect at least an hour more than likely minimum for the entire process.

I have arleady changed bios settings and ı am not reseting bios settings.

1 minute ago, NineEyeRon said:

Windows 10 has this built in, you can do it without deleting your personal data but I recommend backing it up first in case of an issue.

Only wipe windows and reinstall if you have errors, a slow system can be corrected by the windows 10 built in tools.

If after using the tools it is still slow a reinstall may be a good option.

what about the bios? and my system is gtx 1660super and ryzen 5 3600 16gb 300mhz rtam

Newer versions of Windows 10 have a built-in Reset functionality that you could try, but I actually don't recommend it. I recommend that you get a USB drive and use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to download a fresh copy of the latest version of Windows 10 and make a bootable USB drive from it.

You would then boot from the USB drive, choose Custom install and delete every partition from your main Windows drive in your system and install it to the Unallocated space. Please note: YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA BY DOING THIS (if you haven't backed up your files beforehand).

Your BIOS settings will not reset. Depending on internet connection, downloading Windows 10 can take a while. The ISO file is around 4 GB. Installing Windows is usually pretty fast on modern hardware. You can use Windows Update to automatically install all your drivers, but if you want the latest drivers (especially graphics drivers) for the best performance, then you will need to download those manually. If your PC is slow and Windows is full of bloat and random stuff you don't need and you want to start fresh, then yes I would recommend it. However please remember that you will lose everything on your Windows drive unless you back it up first.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

-> Moved to Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv