Coil Whine on RM750x

js5836

I built my PC, and recently I noticed that when I am using the PC there is coil whine if I go close to the back of my case where the power supply is. I don't really mind the sound, and I doubt there is much I could do about it without having to tear apart my whole build, so I was just wondering whether coil whine reduces the lifespan of PSU, or whether it is dangerous in any sort of way to the PSU itself or the parts that it powers. Again, I have a Corsair RM750x PSU.

No coil whine is an unfortunate side effect. It usually does not damage anything and is just annoying.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

well no damage, but you can rma it if it starts becoming a pain

17 minutes ago, js5836 said:

I built my PC, and recently I noticed that when I am using the PC there is coil whine if I go close to the back of my case where the power supply is. I don't really mind the sound, and I doubt there is much I could do about it without having to tear apart my whole build, so I was just wondering whether coil whine reduces the lifespan of PSU, or whether it is dangerous in any sort of way to the PSU itself or the parts that it powers. Again, I have a Corsair RM750x PSU.

Of course there's no harm.  This seems to get posted at least 10 times a week.  ALL MAGNETIC COMPONENTS VIBRATE.  Whether it's energy stored in an inductor's air gap or the magnetostriction of a transformer's windings.  They all vibrate.   Just some do so within the audible noise range.  Just because you can't hear it, doesn't mean it's not vibrating air. 

That said... WHEN does it make the noise?  Only in standby?  Only at low loads?  Only at high loads?  Are you plugged into a UPS?  Is your outlet grounded?

7 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

well no damage, but you can rma it if it starts becoming a pain

If he has to shove his head behind his PC to hear it, how would it become a pain?

24 minutes ago, js5836 said:

I had same issue with same PSU. Then on a next PC I bought a RM850x and it's super silent. Not sure if I just got lucky with the 850 or if they are more silent.

1 hour ago, Panoramix97 said:

I had same issue with same PSU. Then on a next PC I bought a RM850x and it's super silent. Not sure if I just got lucky with the 850 or if they are more silent.

I haven't had any issue with coil whine on my RM750x, so no I don't think so. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

he has to shove his head behind his PC to hear it, how would it become a pain?

that is true... however, recently I had the brilliant idea to use BEQUIET power cables for my then 1070 ftw2, certified by Bequiet to use with my Bequiet psu and for any gpu up to 2070 or even 2080Ti ... worked nice and dandy at first, then after a few weeks started to develop some seriously annoying and loud coil whine whenever the gpu was under load...

I sit directly next to my pc, I don't like using earphones while gaming and I'm kinda sensible to high pitched noises anyway, it was completely unbearable................. 

Btw, noise is known to make people sick, I don't think this is acceptable therefore - even though I can acknowledge it seems to depend on the combination of devices and components used. 

As I changed back my cables to the ones that came with the psu the coil whine disappeared, or at least got a lot less audible and soul torturing... 

There isn't even any coil whine with my 3070 now, so idk what was up with that "Bequiet for Bequiet PSUs power cable" but it was honestly an awful experience. 

*I do have a suspicion though, they sell this as "two cables" but it really just plugs into the psu with one plug and splits from there... which is really kinda stupid and misleading, because it's really just *one* cable and not *two* as advertised. 

I think I'm going to return this cable now, thanks for reminding me! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Ok thanks everyone, as long as it doesn't damage anything I don't really mind the noise.