How Risky is it to Use Internet on Windows XP?

How risky is it to use a Windows XP computer for basic internet use? I know the OS is long abandoned as far as security patches, but what are the real risks of using the internet on it? This obviously wouldn't be my main web browsing device. It would just be from time to time if I want to download an app or something without having to put the installer on a USB drive from my other PC and manually transfer the file. Also, is it a bad thing to leave the device always connected to internet, even when not using it for web browsing? I have a WiFi adapter connected to the device, but I currently leave it disabled. I've only used it once to update direct X on the device since the installer requires an internet connection.

I should also note that even if I did use the internet on my XP computer, I wouldn't connect it to any of my accounts.

I know it's not recommended to use a Windows XP computer connected to the internet anymore. I'm just curious what exactly could happen if I did, and exactly how dangerous it is.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

As long as you're as up-to-date as possible and you have a "modern" browser you should be alright. Don't leave it connected when you aren't using the network though. 

Source: I still use a couple different XP systems on the internet on a regular basis.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Why do you want to use XP? If you need a really light weight OS get a Linux Distro. If you need XP for something it would be safer to run it in a VM.

2 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

Why do you want to use XP? If you need a really light weight OS get a Linux Distro. If you need XP for something it would be safer to run it in a VM.

Because I like Windows XP, and I want the authentic experience of using it on hardware it was meant for. It's just a fun thing to add to my collection. I also use it to play old PC disk games that are meant for 32 bit OS's.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

7 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Because I like Windows XP, and I want the authentic experience of using it on hardware it was meant for. It's just a fun thing to add to my collection. I also use it to play old PC disk games that are meant for 32 bit OS's.

Run ad-blockers in your browser, that will go a long way towards security.

uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Decentraleyes, Disconnect. That should get you going.

Maybe kill javascript if it's not needed.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

12 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

You can make Windows 10 look like XP.https://gizmodo.com/how-to-make-windows-10-look-like-windows-xp-1790134379

Also instead of using a USB, transfer files over the network so you don't have to connect to the internet.

Do modern web browsers even run on WinXP?

From what I read, you plan on using this computer for retro gaming, mainly? In that case it's probably best to keep it offline and have your WinXP software on a local file server. Download it on your main PC, and access it when you need it.

2 minutes ago, Ntoam said:

From what I read, you plan on using this computer for retro gaming, mainly? In that case it's probably best to keep it offline and have your WinXP software on a local file server. Download it on your main PC, and access it when you need it.

Yes, I mainly use it for that and emulation. I'm more just wondering if I ever needed to use internet on it again (for example like when I had to connect it to update Direct X), how safe is it to do so. I don't currently have much of a reason to need to use a web browser on it, but if I ever did it's good to know that there are relatively safe options.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

It's not like malware will just jump in as soon as you open browser. There still needs to be user input. But since most browsers, AV and Microsoft have stopped the support, every click made can be the wrong one. There's nothing to pop-up and say "this link isn't what it seems to be". That's the issue. So if you are careful, and on constant alert, should be fine.

Just remembering the bi-weekly cleaning of family members PCs when XP was still supported and current should be indication of why there's huge "DO NOT USE" label on it and Vista.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 months later...

For general web-browsing, it's tough to say.

There are no current browsers that support XP - even using Firefox will require that you get a MUCH older version for it to even install on XP. A majority of websites these days are hosted by a small handful of companies like WIX or SquareSpace, both of which make heavy use of javascript and other bloated technologies designed for data-collection that would bring older browsers to their knees in terms of performance.

If you want to do web-browsing, I suggest having a device exclusively for that - I personally use an old 'rescued" iMac that was tossed out. I cleaned it up, isntalled the most current OS it would accept, and use it is a sort of general purpose web-device. It's actually quite good at that.

I'm not trying to brag, but I generally do different tasks on different devices. My gaming PC is used just for gaming. My work PC is used for work, and frankly I do most of my gaming these days on the xbox (I know, gasp).

The reason for this is pretty simple. My work files matter - they need to be isolated from prying applications - and even things as basic as Steam are essentially just data-collection tools designed for telemetry. I play games on it, knowing that it will scan my disk, drivers, and other info. Since there is nothing to find on that device but games, it's an "acceptable" price in terms of privacy. I also power it down when not in use, and unplug the ethernet cable. These are simple, basic security habits that really everyone should make use of.

My work device is generally not even connected to the network.

And my web device is on the "guest" portion of my network, on a totally different VLAN.

Sorry for the long rant, but I wanted to highlight that everyone's use case varies, and XP - while very old - is still a functional, stable OS if you only want to use it for legacy apps/games. I would just make sure it's properly isolated from other devices. Either on its own VLAN, or not web-connected at all.

5 minutes ago, OrdinaryPhil said:

There are no current browsers that support XP - even using Firefox will require that you get a MUCH older version for it to even install on XP.

That isn't true.

- Sent from a Pentium 4 running Windows XP Pro.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

6 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

That isn't true.

- Sent from a Pentium 4 running Windows XP Pro.

Uhm... K?

According to Mozilla the last version of FireFox to support Windows XP is 48.0.

The current version of Firefox is somwhere in the 8x.x

So yeah... totally wrong.

6 minutes ago, OrdinaryPhil said:

Uhm... K?

According to Mozilla the last version of FireFox to support Windows XP is 48.0.

The current version of Firefox is somwhere in the 8x.x

So yeah... totally wrong.

The current version of Firefox has nothing to do with browsers being available for XP. I didn't say Firefox still supports it, just that there ARE browsers that do. K-Meleon and Mypal are both up to date browsers that run on XP.

So yeah, NOT totally wrong.

If you need proof:

It depends on what you do. If you do online banking, access confidential information, or anything that requires secure access, I say don't use it. No antivirus vendors as far as I know still supports XP, browsers axed support for XP for many years already.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside