NVME + RX 5700XT Reference Model (Asus one). Do I keep the NVME' heatsink or remove it?

dgdg

The mobo is the the Gigabyte B450 Aorus M, it comes with a heatsink to be used with a nvme storage. I have here the PNY CS3030 250GB SSD, and perfectly over it I have the reference model of the RX 5700XT.

That VGA generates a lot of heat and I was wondering if the heatsink isnt warming the NVME more than cooling it right now, because its right under that AMD oven... So Im looking for people which had similar experiences to share their conclusions with me.

I just removed the heatsink from the system and replaced everything back, gotta try some tests soon. There was something that looked like some of the chips on the NVME were "sweating" around the thermal pad of the heatsink. That was strange, pictures attached, you can see it better on the chip of the NVME than on the heatsink in the pictures.

Spoiler

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-03 at 14.56.21.jpeg

Spoiler

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-03 at 14.58.24 (1).jpeg

Spoiler

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-03 at 14.58.24.jpeg

Spoiler

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-03 at 14.58.25.jpeg

tbh half the time the heatsink is there just for looks.

they do generally help, but if the gpu is on top of and almost literally touching it and that part of the gpu is made of metal then it could have the reverse effect, but its fine if the part of the gpu thats closest to it is plastic

The "sweating" might be from the thermal pad. Leave the heatsink on.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, yaboistar said:

I’ll be honest I’ve got a 3090 blowing down over one of my m.2 slots and it doesn’t cook things

yeah my rx 580 pulling 270w doesnt really cook things, since hot air is just well.. hot air..

but ngl an rx 580 pulling 270w does make a good heater

1 minute ago, yaboistar said:

(power limited to 80%

yikes, mines set to 150% (i mean how else do you expect a 185w tdp gpu to pull 270)

Operating temperatures for this NVME: 0°C ~ 70°C

I checked the temperatures with the VGA idle earlier (running crystal mark, dumb me). Now I gotta monitor it ingame, or run a vga stress-test along with the crystalmark's benchmark and see how high these temps will rise.

Are the HWinfo64 feedback reliable on this subject (NVME's temps)? In my earlier check, with the heatsink on, it was scoring 35ºC (right after a crystalmark full run) and now, with the NVME idle, the temp is 44ºC. Theres no more than 5ºC of difference on the ambient temperature from the time of the first check and now...

Do you guys have any hint on how to clean the adhesive side of the heatsink? It took a lot of dirt after I removed it from the pc, Id like to clean as much as possible of it before to place it back over the NVME.

Spoiler

780032667_WhatsAppImage2021-01-03at14_58_25.jpeg.e6538a078a75ad9287f6d072ac8809c9.jpeg