Intel Alder Lake-S (12th Gen) Hybrid ES CPU Leaks in Geekbench and SiSoftware databases: Flaunting 16 cores & DDR5-4800 memory (Updated)

On 12/30/2020 at 3:15 PM, NunoLava1998 said:

..wait, why does it have 24 threads and not 32 on a 16-core processor? 

this is not actually a 16 core chip but rather a 8 + 8 where the first 8 are normal cores and the last 8 are much weaker atom cores, and those lack hyperthreading 

10 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

this is not actually a 16 core chip but rather a 8 + 8 where the first 8 are normal cores and the last 8 are much weaker atom cores, and those lack hyperthreading 

I still foresee Intel Legal having nightmares for months about how they're going to do the PR on this.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I still foresee Intel Legal having nightmares for months about how they're going to do the PR on this.

i can wait for the intel fanboys to defend this as a 16 core, when they said bulldozer had only 4 cores, it will be glorious, i bet intel wont get in nearly as much trouble as amd did though 

5 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

i can wait for the intel fanboys to defend this as a 16 core, when they said bulldozer had only 4 cores, it will be glorious, i bet intel wont get in nearly as much trouble as amd did though 

Depends how badly Windows handles it. That's actually the biggest issue. Though the stuff around Bulldozer was such, it probably was best described as a 12-core with terrible pipeline collisions, lol.

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

How do mobile phones cope with it now? They've been doing this for years.

Personally as a performance seeker, if I were to get Alder Lake for desktop, I'd look to the version without the small cores. I don't have much confidence in MS getting it working well and there may be situations where performance sensitive software will end up stuck on the slow cores. Like today if you have a laptop with iGPU and dGPU, a recent Windows Update seems to put more stuff on iGPU than before.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

Personally as a performance seeker, if I were to get Alder Lake for desktop, I'd look to the version without the small cores. I don't have much confidence in MS getting it working well and there may be situations where performance sensitive software will end up stuck on the slow cores. Like today if you have a laptop with iGPU and dGPU, a recent Windows Update seems to put more stuff on iGPU than before.

The Zen1/Zen2 4c CCX design isn't that difficult from a Scheduler point of view. Took MS 3 major updates to Windows to get it somewhat fixed. And it still has issues with something like the big TR parts.

Yeah, my worry is actually Windows 10 more than the design not working.

3 hours ago, porina said:

part of it is how they are really well differentiated part of it is how they have been doing it for long so software had time to adapt.

still i really dont see how this is of benefit to desktop pcs at all, even laptops, as today many of the reasons why big little was useful are reduced by just how fast and precisely the cpus can clock up or down and disable inactive areas of the cpu

I honestly foresee the first iteration of this design having some early teething pains. Not from the chip itself but from Windows and its scheduler, as mentioned before.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 12/30/2020 at 5:59 AM, leadeater said:

image.png.6e8b67e425adb657a1a42151b549475a.png

Oh really now? Hmmmm 🤔

They finally cracked the 10GHz barrier, kek.

Never give up on your dreams.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

On 1/13/2021 at 1:16 AM, Falkentyne said:

I believe you're getting your facts wrong.

They did that with *Conroe*, which was first based off the mobile offering (Don't remember the name)  and gave us Core and Core 2 Duo, which blew the socks off everyone and destroyed AMD's offerings.  Core 2 had double the IPC of a Pentium 4 at the same clock, IIRC.

Netburst was before this.

I didn’t know about the ipc jump.  That is interesting.   I blamed it on the dual core ness.  I do know a 2.4ghz core2duo could mop the floor with a 5 ghz single core celeron  though.  The word was it was the extra core that made all the difference.  If it was ipc not dual core that made the difference though that has modern implications.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Minor, but still interesting update to this story (will add to OP) ~ 

A never-before-seen Intel (12th Gen) Alder Lake-S processor has been discovered on the SiSoftware website by @momomo_us. Along with once again confirming support for DDR5 memory (@ 4800MHz), the listing gave some details about the Xe Gen 12.2 iGPU and revealed 30 MB L3 cache. Clock rates were measured @ 1.8 GHz to 4.0 GHz.

sisoft.thumb.jpg.78c78649de7b8303d82366ab18691e59.jpg

Intel-Alder-Lake-S-16-Core-4-GHz.thumb.png.42c2e180e2d3e97d4a97f5ae34bcdf88.png

The new sample that was discovered today has a higher clock speed though. With a base clock of 1.8 GHz and a boost of 4.0 GHz, we are looking at a faster CPU. The hybrid chip seemingly sports the same 16-core, 32-thread configuration. SiSoftware detects the Alder Lake-S part as a 16-core part, meaning there are eight Golden Cove cores and eight Gracemont cores onboard. The new Alder Lake-S sample reportedly features a 1.8 GHz base clock, 400 MHz higher than the previous leaked sample. It's uncertain if the two are the same processor or if Intel has managed to improve the previous chip's base clock. On this occasion, the software was able to pick up the processor's boost clock speed that's apparently configured to 4 GHz. The cache configuration remains unaltered: We still see the 12.5MB of L2 cache and 30MB of L3 cache. 

Surprisingly, the 1.4 GHz Alder Lake-S chip delivers a 21% higher score on the processor multi-media test than the 1.8 GHz sample. It's plausible that SiSoftware's Sandra benchmark software isn't yet fully optimized for Alder Lake-S. We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that Alder Lake-S arrives with a hybrid setup, so the whole high-performance and high-efficiency core arrangement can trip some software up. The 1.8 GHz Alder Lake-S part does score better in some of the other tests though. The memory bandwidth test is one of the benchmarks that stand out the most. There's an improvement up to a whopping 153.6%. The logical reasoning behind the substantial uplift is that the previous Alder Lake-S was paired with DDR4 memory, while the new sample purportedly runs with DDR5 memory.

Source 1: https://www.notebookcheck.net/16-core-Intel-Alder-Lake-S-desktop-processor-s-SiSoftware-entry-reveals-specs-Xe-Gen-12-2-iGPU-details-30-MB-L3-cache-and-DDR5-memory-support.515770.0.html

Source 2: https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-alder-lake-s-processor-with-16-cores-at-4-ghz-and-ddr5-4800-memory-spotted

Source 3: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/alder-lake-s-cpu-hits-4-ghz-with-ddr5-memory