why is my network ONLY slow on my most powerful pc?

Jstagzsr

About a week ago i noticed when i was watching a youtube video and i clicked on the realplayer download button and shortly after my youtube video stopped to buffer because there was a download now happening.. It never did this before. There was always plenty of bandwidth to go around.. I now have come to realize that whenever i am doing any two or more things that require the internet only one will workk. I can not download a game on steam while watching youtube, i cant download a game on battle net while loading facebook, i can not stream netflix while an update runs in the background, i cant load most web pages while a game downloads.. So when i update my games now i have to stop what im doing and find something else to do while the game downloads.. I'm on hour about 12 now of downloading the 60GB game cyberpunk 2077.. Usually that would take like 20-30 minutes.. I have 200Mbps internet. I am hard lined to the router which is hard lined to the modem. both the modem and router are gigabit capable. Spectrum's ookla speed test (speedtest.net) shows 120-220Mbps speeds when connecting to a spectrum server on my spectrum internet.. But any other speed test i run shows .5-8Mbps.. So not only do i not know what my actual speed is, but Its like my pc all of a sudden dropped 99% of the speed it had a week ago for no reason.. And its ONLY on that pc.. I can download a game on my pc and youtube wont even load the main page on the same pc, but i can watch youtube on another pc or on my phone connected to the same network just fine.. I've been binge watching a show on a roku TV while waiting for this game to download.. So the network itself is plenty capable of sustaining several devices running several internet related things at a time.. But ONLY on seperate devices.. When i try to do those identical actions on the same pc, its impossible.. Not enough bandwidth or something..

What in the hell is going on here??? Someone please help!!

First of all.....too much to read for something that would have taken 2 lines! Details are good, but not when they're buried.

Just throwing ideas at you to see if you've checked:

-tried another ethernet cable.

-updated network drivers.

-checked bandwidth limitations in network settings and the apps you are using.

4 minutes ago, Skipple said:

I would eliminate the simple stuff first. Update network drivers / replace ethernet cable, etc.

i havent tried a new cable.. good idea.. But everything on pc is 100% up to date. even windows. And in the process of trying to figure this out i factory reset and updated the firmware of the router and i factory reset the modem and had spectrum push the latest everything to it. And this morning spectrum was here and they replaced a cable jack on the wall and added a filter to the line.

As @Skipple already suggested, I would try updating the ethernet drivers for your motherboard. If that doesn't fix it, replace the cable. Not much else you can do after that besides swapping out parts (and the most likely culprit here would be your motherboard). You could also try plugging into a different port on the router.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

2 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

everything on pc is 100% up to date. even windows. And in the process of trying to figure this out i factory reset and updated the firmware of the router

Did you reinstall the ethernet drivers after the factory reset, and did you ever install them in the first place? These would be a separate download you would have to manually install. Should be found somewhere on the motherboard manufacturer's website. Should be called something like "Realtek LAN/Networking" drivers.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 minute ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Did you reinstall the ethernet drivers after the factory reset, and did you ever install them in the first place? These would be a separate download you would have to manually install. Should be found somewhere on the motherboard manufacturer's website. Something like Realtek LAN drivers.

Sure did. My motherboard is the MSI MEG Z390 Godlike. It has dual gigabit ethernet jacks. ive tried them both on all 4 of the router jacks. And yes all ethernet drivers are installed. all the normal ones and all the "Killer" ones. I'll manually check the website to see if there are any updates but MSI Dragon center is pretty good about finding everything that needs updating and putting it all in one place to view and download and install.

2 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

Sure did. My motherboard is the MSI MEG Z390 Godlike. It has dual gigabit ethernet jacks. ive tried them both on all 4 of the router jacks. And yes all ethernet drivers are installed. all the normal ones and all the "Killer" ones. I'll manually check the website to see if there are any updates but MSI Dragon center is pretty good about finding everything that needs updating and putting it all in one place to view and download and install.

In that case I'd try a different cable and slot on the router. If that doesn't work, maybe try installing something like Linux (Ubuntu or any other generic distro) and test your speeds in that? If none of those steps work I'd lean towards the ethernet port on your motherboard possibly being faulty. How long ago did you get the motherboard? And is it possible this has always been an issue and you didn't notice it until recently?

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

3 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

In that case I'd try a different cable and slot on the router. If that doesn't work, maybe try installing something like Linux (Ubuntu or any other generic distro) and test your speeds in that? If none of those steps work I'd lean towards the ethernet port on your motherboard possibly being faulty. How long ago did you get the motherboard? And is it possible this has always been an issue and you didn't notice it until recently?

The different cable is being used right now and the same problem is happening. i also just tried both ethernet jacks on the motherboard. Same result. And i tried 2 jacks on the router. Same result.

I got this motherboard earlier this year. maybe 7-8 months ago. Its a 700 dollar motherboard ill be pissed if something is physically wrong with it! lol

And 100% definitely this has NOT always been happening. i have always downloaded or updated games in the background and watched youtube while i waited for them. Thats my routine. I know it well. I remember the very day it started happening. i have like 20-25 games on steam and 3 or 4 on battle net, 3 on origin, and a few on a few other platforms and all things are kept up to date. Immediately upon a update being released i am right on it keeping evrything current and every time, im on youtube (AAANNNDDDD usually 2-3-4 other tabs at the same time) while it downloads.

I'm at a loss. Ive never seen this before. Ive exhausted my knowledge on how to fix it. Hence the post on LTT

If it is not the cable or hopefully the MB, then it could very well be a bad update corrupted something. I had a windows update make my onboard ethernet adapter stop working until I reinstalled windows for the 4th time and didn't do that particular windows update and it was working fine after that. the point is that not all updates are designed for your specific setup and will often have drivers and/or settings for different hardware that will mess up your setup. I would roll back to a earlier point before the most recent updates you did and noticed the issue and see if that works before suspecting the MB ethernet went belly up. Hope that helps troubleshoot some. If that doesn't fix it then I think your gonna be pissed. LOL

2 minutes ago, BScottRockr said:

If it is not the cable or hopefully the MB, then it could very well be a bad update corrupted something. I had a windows update make my onboard ethernet adapter stop working until I reinstalled windows for the 4th time and didn't do that particular windows update and it was working fine after that. the point is that not all updates are designed for your specific setup and will often have drivers and/or settings for different hardware that will mess up your setup. I would roll back to a earlier point before the most recent updates you did and noticed the issue and see if that works before suspecting the MB ethernet went belly up. Hope that helps troubleshoot some. If that doesn't fix it then I think your gonna be pissed. LOL

I actually just uninstalled and then reinstalled all the latest drivers for LAN.. and there was a chipset update i installed. I also just tried completely disconecting the ethernet alltogether and only using the onboard wifi adapter.. and the same thing is still happening in all scenarios.. I really dont understand whats going on . lol.. How can i watch youtube on my phone AANNDD another laptop at the same time as a download is happening on my main pc but as soon as i try to go to youtube on the main pc, the page doesnt even load.. The network can carry the bandwidth.. but something about my amin pc specifically is limiting the amount of bandwidth it gets.. I'm pulling my hair out over here!!! lol