Heard Samsung collects a ton of data...

Princess

Hi! I just ordered an s20, and I've heard Samsung collects a metric ton of data from its users and then proceeds to sell it and all them shenanigans. Is there any way to actually stop this from happening?

1. Open the phone up

2. Break the WiFi/Bluetooth/modem beyond repair

3. Close up the phone

4. Enjoy your phone that is tracking free... but with the downside of acting like a phone without a SIM card.

elephants

23 minutes ago, Princess said:

Is there any way to actually stop this from happening?

just whenever it asks "would you like to send optional data to Samsung?" just always say no. Then none of your data will be sent to Samsung

22 minutes ago, Princess said:

Hi! I just ordered an s20, and I've heard Samsung collects a metric ton of data from its users and then proceeds to sell it and all them shenanigans. Is there any way to actually stop this from happening?

Likely not a lot of difference between Samsung vs Apps you install....on another phone.
Samsung apps, many have options to OPT OUT of usage collection. (I bet you they still collect other things though)
All companies to some degree have to.. User Data & Patterns,..collected and used for future product changes or ideas/trends.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Likely not a lot of difference between Samsung vs Apps you install....on another phone.
Samsung apps, many have options to OPT OUT of usage collection. (I bet you they still collect other things though)
All companies to some degree have to.. User Data & Patterns,..collected and used for future product changes or ideas/trends.

Specifically, I mean collecting my browsing history and all that and selling it to other companies, which it seems like they do. Would just using another browser that isn't the stock one do the trick?

Just now, Princess said:

Specifically, I mean collecting my browsing history and all that and selling it to other companies, which it seems like they do. Would just using another browser that isn't the stock one do the trick?

Use firefox they are great about not using that data. Then get the ublock origin addon from their addons marketplace and have the best mobile browsing experience there is for free.

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Use firefox they are great about not using that data. Then get the ublock origin addon from their addons marketplace and have the best mobile browsing experience there is for free.

Exactly the setup I'm using.
Never liked Chrome,...Samsung Internet either...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Just now, SkilledRebuilds said:

Exactly the setup I'm using.
Never liked Chrome,...Samsung Internet either...

What about going ahead and installing LineageOS? Would that help relieve most invasive tracking?

52 minutes ago, Princess said:

What about going ahead and installing LineageOS? Would that help relieve most invasive tracking?

Without switching browsers no. Android at it's core (which is what lineageos is) does little data tracking. What does the most is the google services which you need to use well any google app. Thus simply avoiding using google stuff kinda fixes a lot of the issues.

So start with firefox + ublock origin addon combo and go from there.

On 12/27/2020 at 11:10 AM, Princess said:

Just to be clear. Google also sells your info. Your cellular provider probably also does. Apps do. So as you see your not getting away from the practice. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 12/27/2020 at 4:10 PM, Princess said:

Buy an iPhone

I hope you paid for that bread.

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Just to be clear. Google also sells your info. Your cellular provider probably also does. Apps do. So as you see your not getting away from the practice. 

Think they're more concerned with browser tracking

1 hour ago, And Im Javert said:

Think they're more concerned with browser tracking

Android is Googles platform, so who knows what data they are collecting. Plus the Google play store. 

59 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Android is Googles platform, so who knows what data they are collecting. Plus the Google play store. 

Yeah but they’ve said the concern is through the browser not the App Store. 

38 minutes ago, And Im Javert said:

Yeah but they’ve said the concern is through the browser not the App Store. 

Either way someone will get the data. Don’t want your data sold, the GTFO off the internet. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Either way someone will get the data. Don’t want your data sold, the GTFO off the internet. 

Well you can always use VPNs to mask stuff and as I said above Apple does a lot to stop people getting at data. Obviously nothing can stop it completely but there are steps you can take to minimise the data they can get at. For example safari on this site has stopped 5 trackers, 2 each from google and Amazon, 1 from Rakuten.

2 minutes ago, And Im Javert said:

Well you can always use VPNs to mask stuff and as I said above Apple does a lot to stop people getting at data. Obviously nothing can stop it completely but there are steps you can take to minimise the data they can get at. For example safari on this site has stopped 5 trackers, 2 each from google and Amazon, 1 from Rakuten.

VPNs burn thru more data. So data cap users yeah are fucked. Safari only exist on Apples products, the OP is on Android. Google doesn’t do as good of a job policing its App Store like Apple does. Outside of Android, Microsoft collects data, Google gets data on ChromeOS. At the end of the day Bog Brother gets all the data. If you don’t want your data out there then stop using the internet. The fact is most of your data will be out there if you like it or not. Too many sites have been hacked. Shit the Equifax hack leaked half of Americans info. To me lots like putting a bandaid on a dam that has a leak. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

VPNs burn thru more data. So data cap users yeah are fucked. Safari only exist on Apples products, the OP is on Android. Google doesn’t do as good of a job policing its App Store like Apple does. Outside of Android, Microsoft collects data, Google gets data on ChromeOS.

which is why my first response was get an iPhone

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

At the end of the day Bog Brother gets all the data. If you don’t want your data out there then stop using the internet. The fact is most of your data will be out there if you like it or not. Too many sites have been hacked. Shit the Equifax hack leaked half of Americans info. To me lots like putting a bandaid on a dam that has a leak. 

The only data on the internet is that you put on there. If you don’t want ads tracking you there are ways to do it. 

Some of Americans info not all of it, also America =/= the world. 

The only data on the internet is that you put on there. If you don’t want ads tracking you there are ways to do it.

Umm not always. Companies are hacked all the time. That info ends up on the internet, if you know where to look. Most of the time we only hear about the hack months after it happens. 

14 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Umm not always. Companies are hacked all the time. That info ends up on the internet, if you know where to look. Most of the time we only hear about the hack months after it happens. 

And where do they get their information? Mostly from the internet.

And where do they get their information? Mostly from the internet.

How about a cyber security expert that did a Q/A session at my college? That good enough for you? How about the article from the Equifax Hack? How about the article that was release about that major hack recently? How about all the notifications I get from IDSheild about account info that is compromised. 

The Cyber Security expert said that most companies dont necessarily tell their customers they have been hacked and if they do, its after months, because they have to do their "Investigation". There are no laws (at least at the time) that said they had to be forthcoming to this. 

30 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

How about a cyber security expert that did a Q/A session at my college? That good enough for you? How about the article from the Equifax Hack? How about the article that was release about that major hack recently? How about all the notifications I get from IDSheild about account info that is compromised. 

The Cyber Security expert said that most companies dont necessarily tell their customers they have been hacked and if they do, its after months, because they have to do their "Investigation". There are no laws (at least at the time) that said they had to be forthcoming to this. 

Just ignore my point then. The majority of hacks gather information that you yourself have put onto the internet. The less you put up the less there is to be compromised. 

Again regarding Equifax, American does not equal the world and the majority of the information leaked is given up freely by 95% of the people involved through social media etc. 

3 minutes ago, And Im Javert said:

ust ignore my point then. The majority of hacks gather information that you yourself have put onto the internet. The less you put up the less there is to be compromised. 

No I didnt. Target gets hacked and your CC data is out on the internet now, did you put it there? No, Target leaked the fucking data. Companies collect shit loads of data on people. Such as your cable provider, the government, and the data you put out there on social media. It doesn't have to be put out on the internet for someone to steal it. All you have to do is hack a major companies network. Your going to get a Plethora of info that may or may not be available on the internet. 

6 minutes ago, And Im Javert said:

Again regarding Equifax, American does not equal the world and the majority of the information leaked is given up freely by 95% of the people involved through social media etc. 

Again I'm American, I pay attention what happens in my corner of the world. Not really looking at European news. The fact is this shit happens. Sticking you head in the sand is a dumb idea. And thinking that a VPN is the end all to protect yourself is a dumb Idea as well. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

No I didnt. Target gets hacked and your CC data is out on the internet now, did you put it there? No, Target leaked the fucking data. Companies collect shit loads of data on people. Such as your cable provider, the government, and the data you put out there on social media. It doesn't have to be put out on the internet for someone to steal it. All you have to do is hack a major companies network. Your going to get a Plethora of info that may or may not be available on the internet. 

Again I'm American, I pay attention what happens in my corner of the world. Not really looking at European news. The fact is this shit happens. Sticking you head in the sand is a dumb idea. And thinking that a VPN is the end all to protect yourself is a dumb Idea as well. 

I don’t think you’re understanding the OPs point and are just wanting to rant about the government etc etc. The OP wants to limit tracking through their browser and the best way to do that is to not use android so you have access to the safari browser and are out of Google’s clutches and use a VPN. Hell if you’re really paranoid use a VPN and Tor.