Help me identify something?

ve4grm

Hi all,

I've been going through my old electronics detritus lately, and happened to come across this:20201226_180801.thumb.jpg.58502432e20223c0d9cca122eca87ab5.jpg

The connector is a standard-looking 3.5mm, and the right end is a smooth, shiny plastic dome. On the other side of the dome is some 3M adhesive. And I have no idea what it is.

I tried it in both the microphone and headphone jacks on my computer with no results.

Any ideas?

It's probably an IR receiver for a TV or some other piece of home theatre.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Interesting thought. I'm not sure what it would be for, but I'd believe it.

Just now, ve4grm said:

Interesting thought. I'm not sure what it would be for, but I'd believe it.

IR needs a direct line of communication, i.e. no closet doors inbetween your remote and the IR receiver.

This devices makes it so you can plug a cable into (for example) your setup box, run the cable to someplace which will never get obstructed and just stick it in place, so you can use the remote's IR even when said door is closed.

Usually I see them referred to a "IR extender"

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Oh, no I get that. I just don't know what of my devices it might be for.

To add, some video over cat/IP extenders also do IR, there is also IR over coax and I believe some TV tuner or capture cards might have had IR targets.

If you inherit stuff it might just be leftover from something long gone and just part of a spaghetti pile.