Planned obsolescence and Disposible Tech.

oldSock
On 12/24/2020 at 1:25 AM, oldSock said:

See if a company doesn't want me to replace a cracked screen or a dead battery then they should be held accountable

I agree fully.

On 12/24/2020 at 1:25 AM, oldSock said:

and be limited on how much profit they get from the individual user.

This is where you lose me. I can control how much profit any given company gets from me by controlling how much money I give them. (or how much I use their "free" services, as the case may be). 

I kind of agree with you on some fronts, in that I think that cell phones should be a much more open environment, much like the PC world. I believe that I should have the right to modify, install, uninstall, repair, or replace my phone as I see fit. I also believe that it would greatly benefit the consumers if there were a largely followed standard for smartphones, as there is for the PC world. Companies would then compete on operating systems and applications instead of devices.

But overall I think your over-arching argument that the company is responsible for what ends up in the landfill after consumers have purchased their product is flawed. Once a consumer purchases the product, so long as the business provides the support that they advertised or contracted to provide, that's where their responsibility ends. 

For example, Samsung never promised to make sure that my phone is safely recycled when I'm done with it. That's my job.

What you're forgetting in all of this is property ownership:

When you buy property from another entity, that property ceases to be the entities property and becomes your property. It therefore also becomes your responsibility to see to it that the property is correctly used, maintained, and finally, properly disposed of. It cannot be the entities responsibility to do those things unless the entity has either agreed with you to do those things for you or they still have equity in the property.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

On 12/27/2020 at 12:03 AM, unsorted said:

Regardless, I know where you are coming from, I just think it's the wrong approach to rely on the most wasteful entities on the planet (gov) to regulate. You know where that ends up? More power to them, more bribes paid, more everything...the same as it ever was. The same applies to food (corrupt), pharmaceuticals, fertilizers, and everything else they regulate. They just gain more power and nothing effective is really done.

To me it's easy to ignore 99.999% of modern technology because I don't believe much of it will last. I can pick laptops as an example. Less and less easily replaceable components. I can talk about the serialisation of parts, so a replacement part will not work and independent repair shops can die a slow death https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMtqao-JV8kb and so on.

We have reached peak waste, but it's up to the customer to actually care about this stuff and vote with their money. If they don't, nothing will change. I think that's the only real, lasting solution that can't be influenced by bribes being paid to gov. No central authority should control this stuff because we all know what happens then.

Look my country has a very well document and very serious problem when it comes to wastefulness and how situations are handled "questionable or not" i can add facts here but it may be frowned upon so i digress.

However there is a upside. See eventually rare "none renewable" parts will run out. This is fact, it may only happen in 10 or 20 years from now but it will happen. Now there is this famous song and in one of the lines it is stated "the future will view all of history as a crime" BUT those companies will still exist and then i am sure their practices will be made public and courts world wide will act because they will be forced. Then those companies will face liquidation and their names will stain the pages of history. 

Will it help anything ? No, sadly justice is always to late because the crime already happened so their is no closure. No matter how severe the punishment is, it will not change the facts. 

What are the facts?

Well google the problems countries have with e-waste and judge for yourself if any action will actually rectify the problem.

Last example and a bit of a personal one. I live in a mining town and in the time i lived here not a single mine that was closed down was ever rehabilitated. they just leave the mess behind and now we have chemicals in our water sources and so on and so forth. This makes me angry, BUT now i am being forced to buy disposable goods that are massively overpriced just so that i MUST trash it makes me really angry about the situation hence these posts.

But again TIME WILL BE THE JUDGE but my bet is humanity will wake only when it is to late. If history is anything to go on... ... ... ... ... ...  

Edited by wkdpaul

8 hours ago, Amithadadu said:

Thanks for this such an excellent post! Keep up!

this made my day thank you :)

* thread cleaned *

As per the Community Standards, discussing moderation isn't allowed.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 12/26/2020 at 3:26 PM, unsorted said:

I strongly disagree.

The solution starts with the masses being educated and ends with the masses being educated. Being educated starts with being concerned about how long something will last and voting with your wallet.

If there are enough people that actually care about this stuff: enough to change their habits and enough to stop doing business with certain companies, then things will change.

Everything from the tax laws, depreciation, etc encourages maximum waste. We don't need more government intervention that just raises costs for every single company on the planet.

We need an educated customer. It starts there and ends there. We don't need yet more central control and intervention. We have too much of it and it leads nowhere.

We can go further into the crooked financial system encouraging mass exploitation, usury, etc. but I'll stop here.

people dont no that we burn are wast or Barry it. they think that its being recycled. how can some one vote with there wallet if there being lied too.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 12/26/2020 at 9:03 PM, unsorted said:

<redacted>

Regardless, I know where you are coming from, I just think it's the wrong approach to rely on the most wasteful entities on the planet (gov) to regulate. You know where that ends up? More power to them, more bribes paid, more everything...the same as it ever was. The same applies to food (corrupt), pharmaceuticals, fertilizers, and everything else they regulate. They just gain more power and nothing effective is really done.

To me it's easy to ignore 99.999% of modern technology because I don't believe much of it will last. I can pick laptops as an example. Less and less easily replaceable components. I can talk about the serialisation of parts, so a replacement part will not work and independent repair shops can die a slow death https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMtqao-JV8kb and so on.

We have reached peak waste, but it's up to the customer to actually care about this stuff and vote with their money. If they don't, nothing will change. I think that's the only real, lasting solution that can't be influenced by bribes being paid to gov. No central authority should control this stuff because we all know what happens then.

they way things are going we wont have money to buy anything anyway. i have my money on that over people voting with there wallet.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Companies produce what consumers want.

If you want to change what people want, you need to use persuasion instead of the barrel of a gun (government regulation).