Absolute best keyboard for gaming?

Niel_A

What is the absolute best keyboard for gaming no matter the price? 

I know many people are going to say it's down to personal preference but their must be some keyboards or parts that are considered top tier. 

Thanks 

you answered it best yourself.. it truly is down to personal preference and feel. Some like Linear switches, some like Tactile, while others like clicky.. its allllll 100000% personal touch and feeling. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

you answered it best yourself.. it truly is down to personal preference and feel. Some like Linear switches, some like Tactile, while others like clicky.. its allllll 100000% personal touch and feeling. 

I've gathered enough information to understand that among enthousiasts there is a difference between a corsair k70 keyboard or a custom TOFU 60% with Zealios v2 67g and it isn't only personal preference.

That's not the right mindset.

It's far easier to state a reasonable budget and have someone give you input.

You can easily slap solid gold keycaps on a crappy board and make it the most expensive.

Would also help to know what kind of switch feel you like and your preferred layout.

2 hours ago, Niel_A said:

I've gathered enough information to understand that among enthousiasts there is a difference between a corsair k70 keyboard or a custom TOFU 60% with Zealios v2 67g and it isn't only personal preference.

Eh, at the end of the day, it is. Most enthusiasts prefer higher-end boards over prebuilt "gaming" ones, but if you like the K70, go for it.

What is your budget, preferred switch type, and layout/size?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Hey there.

3 hours ago, Niel_A said:

🤔

The short answer is there is no "absolute best" keyboard for gaming that will universally satisfy every person's needs/wants, regardless of price.

In regards to "best keyboard" questions -- a question for you, instead. How would you propose objectively measuring what's "best," when it comes to keyboards? A similar question was asked not too long ago, here's my bias:

On 11/2/2020 at 5:29 PM, Eschew said:
On 11/2/2020 at 4:44 PM, ZonalThrone said:

Which one is best for gaming?

😅

I doubt there's a definitive answer to this question; too many variables (especially when it comes to personal preferences and gaming habits), and too many interpretations of what "best for gaming" means (rapid response time? consistent actuation? durability to last several gaming sessions?).

Full ThreadLinear, Tactile, or Clicky for Gaming?

Serious tier lists do not exist for keyboards, and IMO they shouldn't. The hobby is centered around subjective personal preferences, and there's no objective way to rank those personal preferences in a clear-cut, pros-and-cons list. Also, er... People have different typing and gaming habits. That makes it even more difficult to pinpoint a single product as the ultimate "endgame" keyboard that will cater to every desire.

Although...

If you were instead asking "What is the absolute best keyboard for me," that question could be answered, provided you know your keyboard preferences. 😃

2 hours ago, Niel_A said:

One difference is the CORSAIR K70 is a pre-built aimed towards the mass "gamer" market, while the 60% keyboard is designed for the niche custom keeb community. The target audiences for both products have significantly different wants that emphasize on different particulars. It's... really not as linear as "Keyboard A has feature W and uses switch X, thus it must be better than Keyboard B that has feature Y and uses switch Z." (Hah, linear, get it? 'Cos, switches? Ayyy...)

Price also doesn't equate with better gaming experience/typing performance, and this holds true especially within the keeb community. I could point at my one grand custom mechanical keyboard and boast about my 130 WPMs, yet others rocking a common, under-$100 membrane pre-built can still beat me and score 140 - 160 WPM easily. 😅 If you were to ask me, gaming experience/performance relies more on the user's skills and familiarity with the keyboard, than the keyboard used. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

3 hours ago, Niel_A said:

I know many people are going to say it's down to personal preference but their must be some keyboards or parts that are considered top tier. 

Thanks 

Personal preference. So the best for you, would be the combination of exactly what you want. If that doesn't already exist, you could be looking at a one-off custom keyboard, which could easily get up to thousands of dollars. Which is silly. If you want actual recommendations, you need to provide a budget, as well as preferences

:)

6 hours ago, seon123 said:

Personal preference. So the best for you, would be the combination of exactly what you want. If that doesn't already exist, you could be looking at a one-off custom keyboard, which could easily get up to thousands of dollars. Which is silly. If you want actual recommendations, you need to provide a budget, as well as preferences

7 hours ago, Eschew said:

Hey there.

🤔

The short answer is there is no "absolute best" keyboard for gaming that will universally satisfy every person's needs/wants, regardless of price.

In regards to "best keyboard" questions -- a question for you, instead. How would you propose objectively measuring what's "best," when it comes to keyboards? A similar question was asked not too long ago, here's my bias:

Full ThreadLinear, Tactile, or Clicky for Gaming?

Serious tier lists do not exist for keyboards, and IMO they shouldn't. The hobby is centered around subjective personal preferences, and there's no objective way to rank those personal preferences in a clear-cut, pros-and-cons list. Also, er... People have different typing and gaming habits. That makes it even more difficult to pinpoint a single product as the ultimate "endgame" keyboard that will cater to every desire.

Although...

If you were instead asking "What is the absolute best keyboard for me," that question could be answered, provided you know your keyboard preferences. 😃

One difference is the CORSAIR K70 is a pre-built aimed towards the mass "gamer" market, while the 60% keyboard is designed for the niche custom keeb community. The target audiences for both products have significantly different wants that emphasize on different particulars. It's... really not as linear as "Keyboard A has feature W and uses switch X, thus it must be better than Keyboard B that has feature Y and uses switch Z." (Hah, linear, get it? 'Cos, switches? Ayyy...)

Price also doesn't equate with better gaming experience/typing performance, and this holds true especially within the keeb community. I could point at my one grand custom mechanical keyboard and boast about my 130 WPMs, yet others rocking a common, under-$100 membrane pre-built can still beat me and score 140 - 160 WPM easily. 😅 If you were to ask me, gaming experience/performance relies more on the user's skills and familiarity with the keyboard, than the keyboard used. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Eh, at the end of the day, it is. Most enthusiasts prefer higher-end boards over prebuilt "gaming" ones, but if you like the K70, go for it.

What is your budget, preferred switch type, and layout/size?

9 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

That's not the right mindset.

It's far easier to state a reasonable budget and have someone give you input.

You can easily slap solid gold keycaps on a crappy board and make it the most expensive.

Would also help to know what kind of switch feel you like and your preferred layout.

Thanks for all your replies. 

For those asking I like tactile switches, US QWERTY, 60% keyboard and my budget is up to $300.

About the switches, keycaps and stabilizers; it seems like the differences here are all about how they sound and feel but performance is all the same. Is that correct? 

1 hour ago, Niel_A said:

About the switches, keycaps and stabilizers; it seems like the differences here are all about how they sound and feel but performance is all the same. Is that correct? 

I would say so.

1 hour ago, Niel_A said:

Thanks for all your replies. 

For those asking I like tactile switches, US QWERTY, 60% keyboard and my budget is up to $300.

Where are you from and do you know soldering?

big man big w!

2 hours ago, ProBottler said:

I would say so.

Where are you from and do you know soldering?

I'm from Belgium and know basic soldering.

Keyboard, mouse and headsets only your decision :D

Common what´s the difference what keyboard you pick.

Case        - Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo, black
MOBO     - MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk, DDR5, Wifi
CPU        - Intel Core i9-13900K     
GPU        - Asus TUF Gaming, RTX 3080 10GB, V2 OC
RAM        - G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Black, 2x 16GB, 5600 MHz 
CPU cooler  - Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Storage     - Seagate FireCuda 530 Heatsink, 1TB + 500GB
PSU          - Corsair HX1000 
Fan           - Lian Li SL-Infinity 120mm, black 10x
Cable        - Lian Li Strimer Plus V2, 24-pin + dual 8-pin

Display     - Asus ROG Swift PG279QM, 27" 240Hz
Mouse       - Logitech G502 Hero
Mousepad   - Logitech G640 
Keyboard    - Logitech G513 
Headphones  - Logitech G PRO X

If you want to try a hot swappable board in 60% there's some option available.   I like the kemove snowfox a lot ... there's also the gmmk which is good and I'm pretty sure drop has also one that has some great reviews.  Get a nice set of keycap in the profile you like and explore the switches ... Since you like tactile you can get multible set of switches and explore the world of tactility with something like the glorious or holy panda, durock T1, C3 kiwi, kailh box burnt orange, zelios v2 ... and there's a lot more ...

If you are prepared to put 300$ in a keyboard I would get a hotswap board and get a lot of different switches kit. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

• 2 years later...

ik this thread is 3 years old but the Yunzii YZ75 is so cheap and sounds incredible with no mods!! (linear gateron yellows)

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx