CPU Drops to .79 GHZ When Gaming

dgargano

Whenever I play a game the cpu clock speed is around 2.4 ghz - 4 ghz (boosted). After 10 min or so, the clockspeed drops to .79 ghz and cuts the fps in half. The temperatures get between 80 - 90f which is hot but in the past it ram this hot with no fps or ghz drops.

9 minutes ago, dgargano said:

80 - 90f

80-90 degrees Fahrenheit or do you mean Celsius? 90°F is only 32°C

If it's running at 90°C and throttling to 0.8GHz it sounds like it's thermal throttling. What CPU do you have? What cooler are you using? Check to make sure the cooler is mounted properly, the fan(s) are spinning, there's no dust clogged in the cooler, and if it's an AIO make sure the pump is running.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

yea I meant celsius. it's a i5 9300h, and it has a built in laptop cooler. I hear and feel lots of air coming out of the vents. I can't check if there is any dust clogged up but I did open it up around 6 months ago when I opened it and everything looked fine.

I agree that it's thermal throttling, but it's a laptop? If you're able to feel the air come out then the fans able to breathe hmm. Thermal paste issue? Not that experienced with laptops.

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

I'll check the thermal paste when I'm able to get a screw driver

What should I do if I check the thermal paste and I am having the same problem? What I don't understand is that the laptop had 80-90c before and was fine.

45 minutes ago, dgargano said:

What should I do if I check the thermal paste and I am having the same problem? What I don't understand is that the laptop had 80-90c before and was fine.

Do you have any experience regarding laptop disassembly? If not it's better to ask help from an experienced friend or send it to a repair shop. Before that please provide us with the full specs ... read the following guide:

I tried undervolting it, after many throttles and blue screens i ended up with -130 mv. It doesn't blue screen or throttle yet but it crashes my game sometimes. I think I found a solution.