Is it worth overclocking the 5900x for gaming?

Abzilla

title

PC Specs: Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk X570  CPU: Ryzen 5900X  CPU Cooler: NZXT 240 mm Kraken Series AIO     GPU: Asus Strix ROG 1080 TI OC Edition    PSU: Corsair RM850 850W   Storage: 2 X 4TB, 2 X 1TB HDD And 1 X 1tb m.2 samsung 980 pro Case:  NZXT H440 2015 Edition

probably not

i dont think amd cpu have much headroom, unless zen 3 is different?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

With the performance you get right out of the box, then I wouldn't bother unless you upgrade your GPU that is more demanding years from now and need to OC to squeeze more performance out of the 5900X before a system upgrade. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

unless you have 3090 or 6900xt or something like these no

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

13 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

probably not

My 5600X is capable of 4.7 all-core (100MHz higher than single core boost).

It's not a 5900X but maybe this is is giving you some context.

In games i do not get a noticeable performance improvement (running a 3080, so basically most likely to have a CPU bottleneck), but a noticeable temp increase. So imo it's not worth it. In some cases i even get stuttering in games when it's OCed, but not without the OC, even when avg. FPS might be a little higher. I've also had Cyberpunk crash on me multiple times, but only when my OC was applied. Other games had no issues with my OC so far. But i went back to run stock again.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

59 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

probably not

zen3 is definitely different from prior generations.

I realize synthetic benchmarks aren't the be-all, end-all, but..

cinebench R20 scores for my 5600x were as follows..

stock - 4,000

PBO turned on - 4,300

4.825 GHz all-core OC - 4,800

For workloads where all cores/threads are being tasked, OC definitely makes sense as long as you can properly cool the CPU. For gaming and general use, it's probably better to turn on PBO and leave it at that. 

Honestly with the 5900X your best bet is to enable PBO, and then apply a .075-.1 undervolt and go about your business.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.