Werid Folding "Whine"?

Whenever I do GPU folding, I hear coil whine, But after some time, I notice the sound is coming through software, not from my graphics card. This occurs only during folding.

Whats the issue?

Main PC: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/FNsFVY

Secondary PC: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7sv7xY

Former Intel Response Squad Member, May Class.

Member of the LTT Forums since January 3rd, 2013.

The software is coil whining? That is literally impossible.

I apologize for taking it so literally but I don't understand exactly what you mean. Folding probably runs your GPU at a higher load than you normally have it at, so it might pass a threshold a certain component of yours coil whines at.

As Travis said - maybe being kicked off by the software... But would typically be generated by a PSU, mobo or GPU - which makes sense, as Folding would stress all these. Time to open your box and try and pinpoint it - not good to have.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Just set all fans to max and you wont hear the coil whine anymore. Well, you won't hear many things besides your fans, but still works...

My gpu coil whine like crazy when I benchmark with nova bench (never benched my pc with other software, but still), and when I run folding or mining it won't coil whine. So it could be one type of load what's causing the coil whine in your case, so I guess you could tweak software-wise (maybe changing core type, down clocking, etc.), since hardware-wise the way to solve the problem is changing the hardware.

thats completly plausable. The uped voltage running through your motherboard could be causeing interference with your audio. It has a lot to do with grounding i believe but im not an audiophile. If you can try and add a sound card and see if you are still getting the sound.

I am 100% sure its not coming from the GPU, PSU, or anything else. I plugged in headphones, went to my computer could only hear fans spinning. This only occurs during folding + GPU stress benching. (Furmark, Unigen Valley). Does not occur at all during gaming. GPU is MSI GTX 660ti, Motherboard is GA-Z77X-UD3H, rev 1.1. 

Something has to be generating the coil whine - that is a physical thing. Maybe a fan is spinning a bit more? I know my corsair's SP whined something horrible at anything less then 12V when on a controller...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Just set all fans to max and you wont hear the coil whine anymore. Well, you won't hear many things besides your fans, but still works...

thats my idea if my PSU explodes i dont want to know about it.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I can confirm for a fact that the whine is NOT physical. Ive removed all sources of audio, and even opened the side case. No whine at all, just the sound of the GPU fan. After running furmark and haven benchmark, there is no whine from these programs. It seems to be a FAHClient issue, should I update my client? Its the CMD version. 

I can confirm for a fact that the whine is NOT physical.

What? Coil whine is ONLY physical....

I think you may be confused.

EMI could be interfering with the computer audio.

Thank you. im not sure why everyone else seems to think it has to be coil whine.

I grabbed this from nineball9 at anandtech

Coil whine is mechanical resonance of the coil with the frequency of the signal passing through it. Physically, a coil is just loops of wire, sometimes with a core other than air. If the frequency of the signal is in resonance with the physical wires of the coil, the coil may vibrate. Oft times, the vibration is beyond human hearing (yokes in TV's can do this), other times it's in the range of human hearing.

There are many electrical parts/circuits which can cause whining noises, so don't just assume you are hearing coils. "Annoying buzzing/electrical sound" are unlikely to eminate from a coil - you have something else making noise. Whining is caused by a part (or parts) physically vibrating.

Unto itself, voltage is not going to cause a whining sound. Voltage is electrical potential (actually, EMF); current through a device is dependent on the voltage across it. With a CPU, changing the voltage probably changes the operating frequency of various components within the processor (I really don't know what is changed), however something is probably in resonance with the signal. If you can narrow down the source of the noise, you may be able to reduce or eliminate it. Try using the paper tube from a roll of paper towels to "listen" to various parts of your system to locate the source.

Thank you. im not sure why everyone else seems to think it has to be coil whine.

I grabbed this from nineball9 at anandtech

I am thinking it's coil whine because that's what was stated int he OP. The only information I am basing this on is the information that was given to me.

I am thinking it's coil whine because that's what was stated int he OP. The only information I am basing this on is the information that was given to me.

I thought what he was saying was at first he thought it was coil whine but then realized it was coming from his speakers.

• 6 months later...

Its a bit of an older topic, but i can confirm that it is coil whine...
Because i have the same GPU ( MSI GTX660tiPE) and it only Coil Whines while folding.
No Coil Whine at all, while Gaming, Benchmarks, Stress Test and so on...
Undervolting or Downclocking the GPU doesnt help much, it only makes the whining nois sound deeper the more you downclock it...

Maybe someone has an answer to slove the problem ,because it drives me crazy...

Because i have the same GPU ( MSI GTX660tiPE) and it only Coil Whines while folding.

Undervolting or Downclocking the GPU doesnt help much, it only makes the whining nois sound deeper the more you downclock it...

There is typically no solution to coil whine - just don't don't whatever is causing it. :)

You could always try and RMA it - may be a one off, but maybe not.

Same here.  I have the same GPU and the same problem.  I did notice that it goes away if I fold on medium or lower settings.  Mostly, I just set the folding client to high when I leave for work and turn it off when I get home.  It's definitely physical though.  It's not through the speakers. 

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).