Dumb question about 144hz...

Jedicake

Does a video game need to "support" 144hz for the 144hz to work, or does my framerate just need to be 144+ and it'll automatically kick in...

The reason I'm asking is, did I just waste my money on an ASUS VG248QE if I can't play Battlefield at 144fps?

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

No no its not dumb at all!  :) As long as you can pull above 144 fps in a game and your monitor is set correctly it will display it in 144Hz. If you can't play it at 144fps then you won't notice the 144Hz refresh rate, if that makes sense.

I think there is no point in having a monitor above 60hz unless it's for video editing and that sort of stuff.

The game does not need to support it. 144hz only allows you to see up to 144 FPS if your computer can get that high of a framerate in whatever game you are playing. If you are getting lower than 144fps, the monitor will just display whatever framerate you're getting.

There ain't no such thing as a dumb question! 

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

I think there is no point in having a monitor about 60hz unless it's for video editing and that sort of stuff.

But... Video editing is the most useless thing to use high refresh rates in.

There ain't no such thing as a dumb question! 

Yes there is. 

But... Video editing is the most useless thing to use high refresh rates in.

No? If I want to edit video that is captured at 20k FPS, and I want to play it back at 120FPS or more, a 144hz monitor would make sense.

Yes there is. 

No there isn't, not everybody has the same amount of knowledge on some topics. Unless you are an extremely biased person

No? If I want to edit video that is captured at 20k FPS, and I want to play it back at 120FPS or more, a 144hz monitor would make sense.

No there isn't, not everybody has the same amount of knowledge on some topics. Unless you are an extremely biased person

Why would you need to watch a video at 120FPS? And in editing no more than 30 is really needed at a professional level as most things that will be uploaded or used for a movie is 24-30FPS, maybe 48 sometimes. 

The second one was just a joke, no need to be so serious. And yes some questions are very bad, Troll questions are bad questions along with very dumb questions.

Some games seem to be locked at 60 FPS. Recent example being Titanfall which only runs at 60 FPS ATM. A patch is supposed to fix that soon. So to answer your question yes. Some games can lack support initially. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Why would you need to watch a video at 120FPS? And in editing no more than 30 is really needed at a professional level as most things that will be uploaded or used for a movie is 24-30FPS, maybe 48 sometimes. 

I do a lot of high speed footage for a class, and having a 144hz monitor helps and it looks better than a monitor with a 60hz refreshrate. As for video making I used to edit videos at 60-100 fps, depending on the game/footage. Everyone has different uses for 144hz, I sometime like using 144hz because it will look smoother than 60hz

I do a lot of high speed footage for a class, and having a 144hz monitor helps and it looks better than a monitor with a 60hz refreshrate. As for video making I used to edit videos at 60-100 fps, depending on the game/footage. Everyone has different uses for 144hz, I sometime like using 144hz because it will look smoother than 60hz

True, thats a reason why it's so nice for gaming over a better picture quality. Especially in FPS games. 

Ok thank you everyone for input!  I guess the 1ms is still pretty good to have (I'm assuming)

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

In windows all you need to do is change the monitors refresh rate in the options. When first installed the machine will choose 60hz, but you can change it to 144 either in the GPU control panel or in Windows display options under the properties of that monitor.

In games what will happen is one of a few possible things:

- It will just choose the default refresh rate you were already using, ie 144hz.

- It will give you a drop down with resolutions and refresh rates, so you can often choose between 60, 120 and 144

- It might give you resolution and refresh rate separately as options.

- Some games default to 60 but you can change it in a config file to 144.

- Very few games (2 games so far, titanfall being one of them) are stuck at 60hz due to stupid developers.

Most of the time you need to do nothing to make it work, the other 20% of the time its a variety of different ways in game to make it do the right thing and use it.

just make sure you are either running the display off dvi-d or display port. other than that you just need to output 144 FPS with your graphics card. In case of bf4, youd need to lower your graphics settings unless youre running like dual titans.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Some games seem to be locked at 60 FPS. Recent example being Titanfall which only runs at 60 FPS ATM. A patch is supposed to fix that soon. So to answer your question yes. Some games can lack support initially. 

Titanfall is actually locked to your monitors refresh rate, you are right that "most" games are stupidly locked to 60fps, but TF isn't one of those cases.

If you had a 144hz monitor, Titanfall would use it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Titanfall is actually locked to your monitors refresh rate, you are right that "most" games are stupidly locked to 60fps, but TF isn't one of those cases.

If you had a 144hz monitor, Titanfall would use it.

But only when vsync is off - that is unless they have fixed the bug already. When vsync is off the game seems to frame cap at 60hz. But if you set vsync on or triple buffering then it would run at 144hz. Weird but that was what was happening in beta and how it released. They say they are fixing it so presumably that will get solved soon enough but its just one of the oddities with this game.