Prebuilt PSU replacement issue

ColonelJoe

I have a dell 5680 prebuilt pc. I am currently trying to replace the power supply but my new one, the corsair cxf 650w, won't fit. The power plug port on the back is in a different position from Dell's so the case is partially covering the power port. I think I could just not screw in the new psu and that way I can plug in the cable in the back? Or I could potentially take of the whole black plastic back part, although I think it may be pretty essential? 20201208_182421.thumb.jpg.bcf5a50d714f0072773971e4e1d5dc3a.jpg20201208_182739.thumb.jpg.b9ab3be754b3aa75e59db2565fbee1b1.jpg

could just trim enough metal off the case to fit the plug, your call, but i wouldn't try to rig the psu in any way whatsoever.

1 minute ago, bmx6454 said:

could just trim enough metal off the case to fit the plug, your call, but i wouldn't try to rig the psu in any way whatsoever.

Thanks for the reply, the problem is that there isn't alot of space to remove since the bottom screw hole is there

16074742421807882857672210707515.jpg

9 minutes ago, ColonelJoe said:

I think I could just not screw in the new psu and that way I can plug in the cable in the back? Or I could potentially take of the whole black plastic back part, although I think it may be pretty essential? 

Just cut the plastic, and the metal just enough.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

2 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

Just cut the plastic.

Thanks for the reply, there is also metal on the inside, if you look at the picture in an earlier reply you can see that there isn't much space to remove because of the psu screw hole 

1 minute ago, ColonelJoe said:

there isn't much space to remove because of the psu screw hole 

Just notch out what you need too make it work.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

metal.png.8387cb54f5e6015254ccab3427168829.png

you could trim back roughly 1/4 inch of the metal to accommodate the psu plug, no?

2 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

metal.png.8387cb54f5e6015254ccab3427168829.png

you could trim back roughly 1/4 inch of the metal to accommodate the psu plug, no?

Hmm yeah I guess. Can i use my old psu plug with my new psu? There is like a standard right? My old one is alot thinner so I wouldnt need to trim much plastic and metal

Hmm yeah I guess. Can i use my old psu plug with my new psu? There is like a standard right? My old one is alot thinner so I wouldnt need to trim much plastic and metal

Also what would you recommend I use to cut out a notch for the plug?

4 minutes ago, ColonelJoe said:

Also what would you recommend I use to cut out a notch for the plug?

your old plug should be fine, but the new one should also fit fine if you are cutting enough metal, not sure what you mean by plastic, i only see metal pc case that would need to be trimmed. as far as tools to use, the best you have. you can get by with some tin snips, then use a file if you wish to even it out. if you aren't experienced with metal work, i would go with tin snips, and not any power tools, and be careful with the metal once cut as it will be very sharp after trimming.

1 minute ago, bmx6454 said:

your old plug should be fine, but the new one should also fit fine if you are cutting enough metal, not sure what you mean by plastic, i only see metal pc case that would need to be trimmed. as far as tools to use, the best you have. you can get by with some tin snips, then use a file if you wish to even it out. if you aren't experienced with metal work, i would go with tin snips, and not any power tools, and be careful with the metal once cut as it will be very sharp after trimming.

The black on the outside is actually just plastic, on the inside is metal. I have a little experience working with metal but not much. Alright thanks I think I might have some tin snips in my garage. Yeah if im cutting the case I might as well do it a tiny bit more so the new plug fits 

3 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

Or.. You use the other two screws which lifts the PSU up off the side of the chassis enough to allow the plug to easily insert into the receptacle.

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Or.. You use the other two screws which lifts the PSU up off the side of the chassis enough to allow the plug to easily insert into the receptacle.

i didn't think it would be enough room, but if it is, then that's obviously a way better idea.

3 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

i didn't think it would be enough room, but if it is, then that's obviously a way better idea.

Yeah.  If you look at the link I provided, you can see that the four screws are not a standard ATX pattern.  That guy used the two on the "top" (through the plastic), but the two on the bottom had to be left unoccupied as they didn't align.

Personally, I would just go buy a standard case and transplant everything into it.  But that's just me, I guess.  These Dell cases are horseshit as far as I'm concerned.

9 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Hmm yeah I had tried that but wasn't sure if it was fine to only put in the outer screws. So I assume it's fine to not have all 4?

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah.  If you look at the link I provided, you can see that the four screws are not a standard ATX pattern.  That guy used the two on the "top" (through the plastic), but the two on the bottom had to be left unoccupied as they didn't align.

Personally, I would just go buy a standard case and transplant everything into it.  But that's just me, I guess.  These Dell cases are horseshit as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, but I only plan on having this psu in here temporarily, a few months, until I build my new pc. I just got this power supply because I was able to get a better graphics card. So I'm just using the new gpu and psu in this case for a little while. I want to keep this dell prebuilt as a second system so that's also why I dont want to bother to move everything into a new case. 

28 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok new problem, it looks like the power supply of the person you linked, their plug was vertical mine is horizontal, so it still won't fit

3 hours ago, ColonelJoe said:

Ok new problem, it looks like the power supply of the person you linked, their plug was vertical mine is horizontal, so it still won't fit

Exchange the PSU.

You paid extra for one with RGB lighting.  Did you want the RGB lighting?