Anyone using or have used the Roccat Vulcan 121 Aimo keyboard? Your thoughts about it? Considering buying it.

code99

Ive been using a Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum mechanical keyboard for a long time now. Its a good keyboard but I want to try something new.

The Roccat Vulcan 120 (and 121) caught my eye, it looks apart and from what ive read its not that bad but i wanted to see what other gamers say about it.

One thing that is worrying to me is how the keyboard fares after months/years of use. Do the keycaps still resemble a keycap after long time use?

One other thing that i like about it is the ease of cleaning it because of how the keycaps are made. Im having a hard time cleaning my current logitech keyboard.

I've been using the Roccat Vulcan Aimo 121 daily for almost a year. I don't have a comparison with any other quality mechanical keyboard as I was using Microsoft Sidewinder X6 for years before getting this one. On it's own the Vulcan Aimo is a good keyboard, holds up well and looks great. The keycaps look brand new and withstand any abuse. The palm rest is magnetic and stays in place nicely. 

Also a nice touch I haven't seen anywhere else: the indicator ligths for caps-lock, scroll-lock, num-lock and "game mode" are on the bottom. This is quite useful, because I have the keyboard under the table on a sliding tray and usually can't see any of it. This let's me check the lights with just a slight movement, unlike other keyboards that would need to be fully extended.

Note: the switches are not removable and probably ain't compatible with standard keycaps either, so not much room for HW modifications. However the titan switches feel nice and are quiet (for a mechanical switch anyway) and I haven't felt any need to change anything.

The software is OK, and luckily got more stable with updates over the year. I haven't used the programming capabilities of the keyboard itself much, because I use Roccat Tyon and Roccat Leadr that cover all my macro needs (they use the same program).

1 hour ago, Gumus said:

Note: the switches are not removable and probably ain't compatible with standard keycaps either, so not much room for HW modifications. However the titan switches feel nice and are quiet (for a mechanical switch anyway) and I haven't felt any need to change anything.

I doubt that. The stems is your typical MX style cross so other MX style keycaps will fit.Screenshot_20201209-222741_YouTube.thumb.jpg.9ebc382c11f4c6eb64b5db6bad99156b.jpg

Big boi caveiat: Im not a native English user, i can totally bottled up the meaning of the words
A kid with a dream
thank you :D 

1 hour ago, ProBottler said:

I doubt that. The stems is your typical MX style cross so other MX style keycaps will fit.Screenshot_20201209-222741_YouTube.thumb.jpg.9ebc382c11f4c6eb64b5db6bad99156b.jpg

The stem is the same, but the rest of the switch housing is so boxy that other keycaps won't really fit. Similar to Cherry MX Low Profile. Check the timestamp in the video, you can see how you might have issues with other keycaps.

Spoiler

:)

Well I don't care to chage the switches so that doesn't matter for me. 

@seon123thank you for your post! 

Just to throw out other options.. 

I just shopped/researched around for the last two weeks before buying a mechanical keyboard. I was looking at the Vulkan TKL Pro myself, along with the Apex 7 TKL and G915 TKL, because I really wanted a smaller keyboard.. I also thought I wanted a low profile but started considering other options. 

But then I started looking at other options and decided I wanted a hot swap board so I can change out the switches later to change things up a little. 

I looked at gamer brands and non gamer brands.. Ultimately, I went with the Drop ALT with Kaihl Box White switches, and I'm not disappointed one bit! The Drop CTRL is nice if you need the extra buttons. 

But some really good keyboards are the Ducky One 2, Durgod Venus/Hades, Anne Pro 2, GK68X, GMMK, etc.. Some of those come in different sizes, too. 

20201211_230405.thumb.jpg.daa295723c8a2b2c9c968dfff2055e4f.jpg

This is a new "Pro" version of the Vulkan with optical/mechanical switches.

I am in the same kind of predicament here. 

I have been rockin' a Logitech G110 keyboard for the last 9? years. 

I would like to get myself a mech keyboard this time around. 

I did some A/V conversions for friends and they paid me with a Best Buy $100 USD gift card, and I have like $15USD in rewards with them as well. So my budget is up to $200ish USD. 

My son has a MSI GK70 TenKeyless that has clicky keys. 

I want to get myself a full 104 keyboard, I really can't imagine myself NOT having one. 

I saw the Roccat at BB and was curious about them. 

I tested some keys/switches that were on display for Razer and Corsair. I preferred the tactile and the linear. 

Typically I would just research and buy a Logitech keyboard, which is what I have done for the last 25 years.

However, there are so many great keyboards being put out by other people, I figured why not give it a shot. 

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS