Vote best answer

Go to solution Solved by wall03,

Also a related suggestion: have an automatic poll for people to vote on other people's suggestions in this subforum

Some threads like in programming are made and not marked as solved even when they got an answer. 

It'd be cool if we could vote best answer and select a best answer like in stack overflow. 

1 hour ago, fpo said:

Some threads like in programming are made and not marked as solved even when they got an answer. 

It'd be cool if we could vote best answer and select a best answer like in stack overflow. 

I'm not so sure this would be a good fit for these forums. On Stack Overflow, you don't have the kinds of kids and absolute, complete newbies like we have and thus you tend to have far better formulated questions and also people are more capable of searching for answers to their questions, thereby being more likely to land on the answers that have received lots of upvotes. Stack Overflow has also been built from the ground up with questions <-> answers - format, whereas the LTT - forums is...built as a conversational forums.

Over here people are constantly repeating the same questions, the questions are often terribly poorly formed, people tend to misunderstand the questions being asked altogether and so on. There's a good likelihood that answers that weren't actually what the OP was looking for in the first place would get upvoted. Besides which, since these forums weren't built for the kind of questions <-> answers - format like Stack Overflow, upvoting the answers wouldn't help raise them to prominence, searching for the gibberish - like questions would often fail to return valid answers and the answers, what there were, would only see upvotes or downvotes for the couple of hours the thread is alive to begin with.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

@WereCatf

It would probably have some adjust or something. Forum admins can weight some users votes over others so noobs don't mess up the forum. Most reliable members just tick agree when a good enough answer is provided. Might as well have them vote best answer. 

Just a user based suggested cleanup that doesn't require mod to select best answer from a report. 

Or a separate section that allow mods to just tick a box to make it faster. 

Idk if it's just me that scrolls through a subforum and 5 new topics are there with the answers and thanks but none marked solved.

Not that it's a hassle, but I don't need to read the solution to "why is hello world not working?" For the millionth time. 

6 minutes ago, fpo said:

Forum admins can weight some users votes over others so noobs don't mess up the forum.

At this point all mods would go "No, we do not want to have to do even more work than we do now."

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

At this point all mods would go "No, we do not want to have to do even more work than we do now."

My personal issue is with deciding who would be trusted to have more weight. As we already used to have badges for Trusted Members. Who all became mods too. And I doubt it would be possible to limit increased voting power to certain subforums. Which was the other reason for getting rid of Trusted Members.

I also have lately searched a lot of help from StackOverflow. The system there is not perfect. My main issue is that sometimes most up voted answer is the hard way for doing things. So to me it seems that up votes go to one who gives working solution first, not to one who explains it best or gives best answer.

Though with those I'm the one searching solutions for problems that are bit over my understanding. And being me, I don't copy-paste without understanding what I'm doing. So just getting working solution wouldn't be enough for me.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

My personal issue is with deciding who would be trusted to have more weight. As we already used to have badges for Trusted Members. Who all became mods too. And I doubt it would be possible to limit increased voting power to certain subforums. Which was the other reason for getting rid of Trusted Members

I didn't even know there had been such a thing as Trusted Members.

4 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I also have lately searched a lot of help from StackOverflow. The system there is not perfect. My main issue is that sometimes most up voted answer is the hard way for doing things. So to me it seems that up votes go to one who gives working solution first, not to one who explains it best or gives best answer.

Just to clarify: I didn't intend to claim that Stack's system is perfect or even good. I just feel it's better suited for the kind of questions <-> answers - thing than LTT-forums, given the kind of users and whatnot we have.

5 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

And being me, I don't copy-paste without understanding what I'm doing. So just getting working solution wouldn't be enough for me.

Good on ya! I am the same when it comes to these things.

@LogicalDrm yeah a lot of the best community people do become mods if they choose. 

Maybe you think about it maybe it's a bad idea. 

45 minutes ago, fpo said:

Maybe you think about it maybe it's a bad idea. 

Like I said, I think two biggest issues are how to do it technically since site-wide boost just wouldn't work. And how to select who are worthy of said boost. If there's boost.

I have no comment on BA from voting. Just sayin' that we already have reactions for that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, Moonzy said:

This is why we need this

That whole thread was awful. 

But yeah. 

Also a related suggestion: have an automatic poll for people to vote on other people's suggestions in this subforum

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

11 hours ago, wall03 said:

Reactions not enough?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 12/8/2020 at 5:38 AM, Moonzy said:

This is why we need this

Happens too many times

On 12/6/2020 at 7:14 PM, LogicalDrm said:

And I doubt it would be possible to limit increased voting power to certain subforums. Which was the other reason for getting rid of Trusted Members.

As someone who worked on Invision Power Board/Invision Power/Invision Community forums for more than a decade i can say that it's possible,

You will have to create a voting system for it,and attaching it to these certain forums with a variable,and to the answer system,for example:

Coding Forum = VariableX
Vote answer mechanism = VoteAnswer

If (VariableX = true)
{
VoteAnswer = true;
}
else
{
VoteAnswer = false;
}

Creating the voting system itself for it can be impractical,depending on the voting system.

On 12/6/2020 at 7:14 PM, LogicalDrm said:

My personal issue is with deciding who would be trusted to have more weight.

I think that original posters should have a the ability to override the votes,thus solving this issue.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

8 hours ago, Vishera said:

I think that original posters should have a the ability to override the votes,thus solving this issue.

But it would solve the issue I brought up there. It was to thing with how to deal with trollish-voting, who, if any, would be given higher multiplier and with what reasons. If OP would select answers, this whole thing wouldn't be needed.

Pretty much looking at e-bullying here.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

But it would solve the issue I brought up there. It was to thing with how to deal with trollish-voting, who, if any, would be given higher multiplier and with what reasons. If OP would select answers, this whole thing wouldn't be needed.

Pretty much looking at e-bullying here.

Don't let people under a certain post count vote?
Only give moderated selected people roles that give permissions to vote?

EDIT:
idk, just some brain storming. I'm not sure you guys are really open to it so I'm kinda letting this suggestion die until a mod/admin really thinks it is viable.

1 minute ago, fpo said:

Don't let people under a certain post count vote?

Post count doesn't really mean anything, but that you are active and like to talk. It really doesn't relate to anything else.

1 minute ago, fpo said:

Only give moderated selected people roles that give permissions to vote?

Which comes back to those "Trusted Members" and would those be allowed to vote outside of their chosen expertise subforums

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Post count doesn't really mean anything, but that you are active and like to talk. It really doesn't relate to anything else.

idk, just one method of spam prevention because ime the most troll posts that are a waste of time are done by people with less than 100 posts in off topic & pc gaming.

Which comes back to those "Trusted Members" and would those be allowed to vote outside of their chosen expertise subforums

You can or you can change it so they can't.

Most people that are experts can recognise when they aren't an expert in another subject. They may choose to not vote. Most people that are trusted are trusted to not be wreckless.

Some experts might also have enough recognition of another subject to kinda know what is the right answer or not or if one answer is better than another.

For example, tvwazhere (using a mod just cuz he comes to mind atm) knows a decent amount about cases. He may be selected on his prowess of being knowledgeable about cases and which are good PC cases for certain budgets.

I'm sure he knows a thing or 2 about what are some good CPUs, so he would probably vote for someone saying "For the same price as this i5, you can get this i7 that's on sale" in the builds section.

I don't know if tvwazhere knows about programming, so if he sees a thread called "debugging assembly x64 big project" he probably won't vote for a best answer because he knows if he doesn't know.

It'd also be pretty easy to moderate best answers votes because if a thread gets a best answer, the mods can view it & if it looks like a troll best answer, you can just take away their rights to best answer since it's a unique role given.

Tvwazhere wouldn't select "Just use C" in the assembly thread because he knows that's a stupid answer and doesn't want to troll. If he did that then you'd just take away his vote ability & I'm sure you have logs in a few places that remember what forum members did so he would likely never get the vote role again for trolling in the past.

EDIT:
That is justification for making it easy to make 1 universal "trusted to vote best answer" role to make it easier for a beta test or just as the system.

Going back to the beginning, why does it matter which post is marked as the best answer in a topic? I'd like to understand the problem properly before trying to come up with solutions.

HTTP/2 203

2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Going back to the beginning, why does it matter which post is marked as the best answer in a topic? I'd like to understand the problem properly before trying to come up with solutions.

People don't mark best answer a lot. 

I will read a whole thread to answer it and it already has an answer and a thanks. Minor inconvenience. 

People select a best answer that doesn't have the solution. 

You have to read the thread just to see the best answer if you were curious about the question. Minor inconvenience. 

It's not needed but a request to let comunity members mark topics as solved.