Is a raspberry pi 3 enough for an ftp server?

robigan
Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,

There's a few misconceptions here.

The suggested method would use SMB, not FTP.

You couldn't do RAID on a Pi3 even if you wanted to.

A Ras Pi 3 only has 100Base networking or transfer speed of up to 10MBps (roughly).

You have total control over a Synology.

To answer your question, no a Ras Pi 3 is not a great device to use as a NAS, I know because I did it for 3 months before I got my Synology. It works sure but its so slow when transferring files its painful. A Pi 4 would be a better choice since they have Gigabit LAN on them.

If you can just get the Synology, it will cost more but it also does WAAAAAY more than just hold your files.

Yes yes ik I could search it up but I'd like to ask people who know their shit cus I don't.
Anyways, in our household, we have a friend that manages our networking system, long story short, we have a bunch of photos on all devices and we wanted to unify them into one server/device. He recommended to use a low end synology NAS for this along side a maybe like RAID 1 configuration for redundancy because the photos have a special meaning to us. But I wanted to know, is it more cheaper to like make your NAS server using a raspberry pi with RAID 1, as this gives absolute control over the system or just go with that synology NAS server? Thanks for answering. If you want to ask me a quick question my discord is robigan#1634

Edit: I was thinking the Synology DS220+, and for raspberry pi I was thinking the 3, but I'd prefer to go with a raspberry pi NAS since I get to choose how it works, plus I could run other stuff with maybe like ESXi, also bc I have a 6TB WD My Cloud server and was thinking I could "attach" it to the raspberry pi and get another hard drive to use for the second RAID 1 drive

Edited by robigan

A Ras Pi 3 only has 100Base networking or transfer speed of up to 10MBps (roughly).

To answer your question, no a Ras Pi 3 is not a great device to use as a NAS, I know because I did it for 3 months before I got my Synology. It works sure but its so slow when transferring files its painful. A Pi 4 would be a better choice since they have Gigabit LAN on them.

If you can just get the Synology, it will cost more but it also does WAAAAAY more than just hold your files.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Thanks for the knowledge you have shared, in that case then IF I were to use a Ras Pi then ok I'll use a Ras Pi 4, but I was still thinking abt using a Ras Pi 4 along side ESXi so... well bc it's cool... But ok I'll check out the Synology if you say I have that level of control

1 minute ago, robigan said:

Thanks for the knowledge you have shared, in that case then IF I were to use a Ras Pi then ok I'll use a Ras Pi 4, but I was still thinking abt using a Ras Pi 4 along side ESXi so... well bc it's cool... But ok I'll check out the Synology if you say I have that level of control

You cannot run ESXi or a Ras Pi, its an X86 application and the Pi uses an ARM CPU. If you want the ability to run custom OSes then you might look into building something yourself. Synologys are great but are still more restricted than a custom build, you couldn't run ESXi on a Synology for example but if you build yourself you can run anything you choose on it.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

You cannot run ESXi or a Ras Pi, its an X86 application and the Pi uses an ARM CPU. If you want the ability to run custom OSes then you might look into building something yourself. Synologys are great but are still more restricted than a custom build, you couldn't run ESXi on a Synology for example but if you build yourself you can run anything you choose on it.

Yes ik u can't you run ESXi on a Ras Pi but this video seems to be begging otherwise 🤔

52 minutes ago, robigan said:

Yes ik u can't you run ESXi on a Ras Pi but this video seems to be begging otherwise 🤔

I had no idea this was even a thing. I'm gonna dig my Pi out tomorrow now.

47 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I was also surprised as well although my Pi is only 1GB. :(

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

On 12/5/2020 at 8:46 PM, Master Disaster said:

Ikr, wht's more, it's not even from some indian dude, this is from a highly reputable youtuber