Google changes policy to allow file deletion after two years.

Pup Shepard

Google terms of service changing for accounts older than 2 years.  They are updating there terms to allow them to delete content on those accounts.  This is an update to their previous 18 months as seen in this wired article from july https://www.wired.com/story/google-auto-delete-data/

Quotes

Dear Google User,
We are writing to let you know that we recently announced new storage policies for Google Accounts using Gmail, Google Drive (including Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drawings, Forms, and Jamboard files) and/or Google Photos that bring us in line with industry practices. Since you have previously used one or more of these products in your Google Account storage, we wanted to tell you about the new policies well before they go into effect on June 1, 2021. Below is a summary of the new policies. Please reference our Help Center article for a complete list of what's changing.
Summary of the new policies (effective June 1, 2021):
•    
If you're inactive for 2 years (24 months) in Gmail, Drive or Photos, we may delete the content in the product(s) in which you're inactive. Google One members who are within their storage quota and in good-standing will not be impacted by this new inactive policy.
•    If you exceed your storage limit for 2 years, we may delete your content across Gmail, Drive and Photos.
What this means for you:
•    You won't be impacted by these changes unless you've been inactive or over your storage limit for 2 years. As this policy goes into effect June 1, 2021, the earliest it would be enforced is June 1, 2023.
•    After June 1, 2021, if you are either inactive or over your storage limit, we will send you email reminders and notifications in advance and prior to deleting any content.
•    Even if you are either inactive or over your storage limit for one or more of these services and content is deleted, you will still be able to sign in.
•    
Note: The inactivity and over quota storage policies will apply only to consumer users of Google services. Google Workspace, G Suite for Education and G Suite for Nonprofits policies are not changing at this time, and admins should look to the Admin Help center for storage policies related to their subscriptions.
Learn more about how to keep your account active
•    
To learn more about how to remain active with these products, visit this Help Center page.
•    
The Inactive Account Manager can help you manage specific content and notify a trusted contact if you stop using your Google Account for a certain period of time (between 3-18 months). Note: the new 2 year inactive policy will apply regardless of your Inactive Account Manager settings. You can learn more about these changes and ways to manage your or a loved one's account in our Help Center.
Learn how to manage your storage
•    
Learn more about the over quota policy and what counts against storage quota.
•    
You can use the free storage manager in the Google One app and on the web to see how you're using your Google Account storage, and free up space across Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Photos.
Thank you for using our services.
Your Google Team

I could see this targeted to users of large compacity.  This could be an attempt to push users to a paid solution from google who use drives as a backup service that they don't access for years at a time but who knows.

Sources

image.thumb.png.4b55b87761f8a8ff8ae0409a17e7f4d1.png  

I might even want to demand that Google delete ALL data after a certain period.  Not just the stuff it feels like.  The thing that creeps me out about Google more than anything else is that they have robots that collect immense amounts of data about me and sell it to people who want to use it against me.  This applies to all big data. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

What is "inactive" according to Google? Storage is, or at least can be, a very passive affair.

Literally the first thing that came to my mind.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

granted, keep in mind cloud service capacity demand went up a lot this year due to the virus and remote work.

Microsoft has probably struggled the most with it. Several incidents through the year, and them even cutting back on certain features temporarily(mainly a couple things in MS Teams) due to the high demand. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I might even want to demand that Google delete ALL data after a certain period.  Not just the stuff it feels like.  The thing that creeps me out about Google more than anything else is that they have robots that collect immense amounts of data about me and sell it to people who want to use it against me.  This applies to all big data. 

agreed.

9 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

What is "inactive" according to Google? Storage is, or at least can be, a very passive affair.

My question: is it a specific folder or the entire service? Because I have some archives I'd like to keep there, like 3D animations from 5 years ago, that I want to keep

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

4 hours ago, wall03 said:

agreed.

My question: is it a specific folder or the entire service? Because I have some archives I'd like to keep there, like 3D animations from 5 years ago, that I want to keep

From my understanding, its the account, not individual files. So if you access the account, even without editing, uploading... Etc. the stored files should be safe. 

Here is a quote from Google on the subject:

We look at several signals to understand whether you are still using your Google Account. These include your last sign-ins, your recent activity in My Activity, usage of Gmail (e.g., the Gmail app on your phone), and Android check-ins.

So it seems a simple login is all that is necessary. 

Link: About Inactive Account Manager - Google Account Help

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D