No Battery Detected on HP Envy 15? Battery slightly swollen

Tarun10
Go to solution Solved by samcool55,
7 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

I thought so. A replacement battery should fix the issue right?

Yes, that should fix the issue.

This is a 2018 HP Envy x360 15. It's nearing 3 years of age and the battery has over 1000 cycles according to batteryreport function in powershell. Sometimes, it alerts me that a battery is not detected, while plugged in, and if I plug out the AC Adaptor it shuts down. When I boot it up, sometimes the problem is fixed and it works other times, the problem persists. But eventually, the computer crashes on battery, and it doesn't boot up without plugging in an AC adaptor upon which the problem is fixed or it says battery is not detected and problem repeats.

There has been no liquid damage as far as I know. I also took apart the laptop and removed the battery, which is swollen slightly, cleaned the terminals with a cloth and plugged it back in, and it fixed the problem for a day but the problem came back. I have updated all firmware, drivers and Windows. It's nearly a clean install and I doubt it's a software issue because there haven't been any major updates recently. I guess it's just the battery dying and it needs to be replaced? I have attached a photo below. I can't find a replacement battery in my country easily, are there any other batteries that would work?

2085986225_WhatsAppImage2020-12-03at14_36_40.thumb.jpeg.c019d703aec26861bfae49e25a2f62ac.jpeg

That's what I would call a spicy pillow.

Because if its age it became faulty and puffed up as seen here.

Which means there's probably a short somewhere.

Anyway, what you should do is get the battery out of your house asap. While rare a spicy pillow can combust because it's basically a slightly unstable chemical mess now.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

That's what I would call a spicy pillow.

Because if its age it became faulty and puffed up as seen here.

Which means there's probably a short somewhere.

Anyway, what you should do is get the battery out of your house asap. While rare a spicy pillow can combust because it's basically a slightly unstable chemical mess now.

7 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

Yes, that should fix the issue.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Most likely dead battery and its safety system making it shut off.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

To avoid swollen batteries in the future make sure you use the laptop off of power every few days until it reaches around 80%. Swollen batteries are almost always a result of keeping them at full charge for extended periods.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 5:00 AM, Vitamanic said:

To avoid swollen batteries in the future make sure you use the laptop off of power every few days until it reaches around 80%. Swollen batteries are almost always a result of keeping them at full charge for extended periods.

I don't quite understand you. I should use it off Battery power?

Ignore, he probably didn't notice your battery had over 1000 cycles. Pretty normal for it to be worn out and you're obviously using it on battery regularly.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

Ignore, he probably didn't notice your battery had over 1000 cycles. Pretty normal for it to be worn out and you're obviously using it on battery regularly.

Yeah I thought 1000 cycles was pretty typical. Thanks anyway.