A few questions about the theoretical 790

Hello all!

So, I've heard lots of rumors about a 790 coming out sometime soon. Which makes perfect sense to me... 590... 690... Now 790!

It'll be a dual 780 (right?), on one PCB. So, my questions are as follows:

1. How much credit are there to these rumors? They make sense... But just wondering.

2. If I have a 780, would I be able to SLI 780 and 790? Or is there some magic that would break my theory?

3. How much is the expected launch price?

Again, I know the 790 isn't announced yet, just theoretical questions based on knowledge of the past cards :)

Thanks all!

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

1) should happen eventually

2) fk no lol

3) depends on how much you value your credit score, it's more or less cheap or expensive.

though, you might be able to do some BIOS or driver mods to either rename the 790 pairs to 780's or to force SLI.

Error: 410

1) should happen eventually

2) fk no lol

3) depends on how much you value your credit score, it's more or less cheap or expensive.

Lol, thanks for the response... Any guess on a range of price for launch?

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Well if they do make it, they might use 780ti chips but using 780 chips make more sense.

1.)Anybody who knows wouldn't be able to talk about it so these are only speculations.

2.)nope

3.)$1000-$1500

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

2. Yes you could most likely SLI a 780 and 790 but the gain by adding the third GPU is negligible at best and hurts your FPS in many cases. That's assuming though the 790 is dual 780s.

1.) I give next to no credit to the rumors.

2.) No but that would be interesting to see implemented

3.) Probably around the $1000 USD price tag. Maybe a bit more. 

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

0 credit from the rumours because they mostly come from that garbage wccftech.com website. Considering how close Maxwell's launch is rumoured to be I wouldn't expect a dual GPU card from NVidia

They wont bring a 790 out imo.. Since the 690 nvidia really changed their game with their cards, low power consumption and noise being the most important things for them now, something a dual 780 never will do great. It's kinda surprising seeing a gtx 780 reference card being extremely quiet with such a small heatsink.

0 credit from the rumours because they mostly come from that garbage wccftech.com website. Considering how close Maxwell's launch is rumoured to be I wouldn't expect a dual GPU card from NVidia

I don't think they would make a "quiet mode 70dBa" card.. And it's funny to see theyre even photoshopping a titan black.. :P

A 790 doesn't really make any sense. The 780 is a 250W card and the PCI-E slot is limited to 300W total. So if you were to take 2x 780's you would have to run them at a really low clock speed to get them to fit in that power envelope and it would be a really expensive card which would compete favourably against a 780 but would not make sense compared to 2x 780s. I just can't see them magically making a high TDP card like that into a a reasonable dual card solution.

I have the same concern about AMD. Their 290 is really power hungry and already maxes out the PCI-E spec. Yet they are spreading around they have a dual one coming. I have no idea where they will be getting the power budget for that from, my guess is they will do a similar thing as they did with the 6990 and make a card that runs outside of the PCI-E spec, at least 400W. Unless price wise it compares favourably to buying 2 cards and performs similar to 2 cards these dual card solutions just aren't worth it.

A 790 doesn't really make any sense. The 780 is a 250W card and the PCI-E slot is limited to 300W total. So if you were to take 2x 780's you would have to run them at a really low clock speed to get them to fit in that power envelope and it would be a really expensive card which would compete favourably against a 780 but would not make sense compared to 2x 780s. I just can't see them magically making a high TDP card like that into a a reasonable dual card solution.

I have the same concern about AMD. Their 290 is really power hungry and already maxes out the PCI-E spec. Yet they are spreading around they have a dual one coming. I have no idea where they will be getting the power budget for that from, my guess is they will do a similar thing as they did with the 6990 and make a card that runs outside of the PCI-E spec, at least 400W. Unless price wise it compares favourably to buying 2 cards and performs similar to 2 cards these dual card solutions just aren't worth it.

A 780 costs around 500 bucks, meaning, if you want two, thats 1 grand, which is the estimate most people are giving here.

A 780 costs around 500 bucks, meaning, if you want two, thats 1 grand, which is the estimate most people are giving here.

Exactly, if its about 2x the price which is quite normal - but its thermally and power budget constrained to 2/3 the clock speed its not worth it, you would be better off buying 2x cards almost always.